Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Spring "Freeze out"

BowMeHunter

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just seen that. Lol

Agree. Sparty must have is Temperature gage in the garage or next to a window or along the bricks of his home surrounded by his bushes. Temp gage fail.

Negative on that placement but I will check latter

EDIT: appears the device needs calibration. Problem solved as the temps have adjusted some 8 tenths to a full degree.

Oh this morning was brutal. The night before luckily we didn't go as cold but this morning with the clear skies it really didn't help the temps. It went all the way down to 25 here just outside of South Bend. Someone mentioned the chance of this occuring again next week. I don't think it will be this bad next week, but never say never right?

posted this in Apr disc meant to post here.

Yet another morning with lots of 20s in outlying areas. How many hard freezes is that now? Tons of crops damaged or destroyed by now. I even notice here, greenup has stalled. When we started at this insane 4-5 week early pace, we are probably now just 2 weeks ahead. Some spots it looks more like Fall than Spring, lots of tints of red and brown in trees (especially the flowering trees have hues of brown).

Meanwhile, the official low this morning was 33F at DTW but 32F at DET. Its kinda funny because if it stands, the last snow would be after the last freeze (right now last freeze April 7th, last snow April 11th). While DTW still is usually a little colder than DET, its interesting that there always are a handful of days every month when DET will come in slightly colder than DTW, whereas say 20+ years ago that would NEVER happen, DTW is in the suburbs, DET in the city.

After the most intense frost of the morning, but you can see the frost holding heavy in the shade this morning on my neighbors yard and roof.

This is like totally normal for April and normally wouldn't make headlines. Only this year would this be an issue. The green up has essentially stalled here. Even the grass isn't growing as much... but I think the main reason for that is no rain. I would agree with Snowfreak's post: were probably only 2 weeks ahead now because of the stall. -barely. Usually it looks like it does now around the last week of April going into May. The frost definitely affected blossoms more just by looking at the petals. Quite a bit of discolored, droopy petals this morning.

477850_3726662932068_1440765701_3337540_1428602133_o.jpg

posted this in Apr disc meant to post here.

Yet another morning with lots of 20s in outlying areas. How many hard freezes is that now? Tons of crops damaged or destroyed by now. I even notice here, greenup has stalled. When we started at this insane 4-5 week early pace, we are probably now just 2 weeks ahead. Some spots it looks more like Fall than Spring, lots of tints of red and brown in trees (especially the flowering trees have hues of brown).

Meanwhile, the official low this morning was 33F at DTW but 32F at DET. Its kinda funny because if it stands, the last snow would be after the last freeze (right now last freeze April 7th, last snow April 11th). While DTW still is usually a little colder than DET, its interesting that there always are a handful of days every month when DET will come in slightly colder than DTW, whereas say 20+ years ago that would NEVER happen, DTW is in the suburbs, DET in the city.

So this morning the frost was as thick as ever, the low per the Wyandotte wunderground station was 33F, yet DTW only gets down to 37F? Even DET was 34F. If this EXACT and I mean EXACT setup occurred on a mid-April morning in, say, 1975, I can guarentee DTW's low would have been 30-31F. Not to get any into climate change discussion or anything, just an observation that its quite easy to see why the temperature may have risen 0.5 of a degree in the last 100 years or so with UHI on radiating mornings.

Was out looking around and I had what was a very nice little black walnut seedling growing on the west side of the house...probably over a foot tall... now its just black and crusty...like it was burned...I still see green lower down, but tender new foliage sure doesn't handle this cold stuff too well. I also noticed some young peach shoots that got burnt on the tips.

Here is some apricot damage...not widespread, but one tree really got hit.

apricotdamage.jpg

I was reading that locally the alfalfa crop could be in danger, because temps below 28F burn the tops of the plant...probably some widespread damage.

So this morning the frost was as thick as ever, the low per the Wyandotte wunderground station was 33F, yet DTW only gets down to 37F? Even DET was 34F. If this EXACT and I mean EXACT setup occurred on a mid-April morning in, say, 1975, I can guarentee DTW's low would have been 30-31F. Not to get any into climate change discussion or anything, just an observation that its quite easy to see why the temperature may have risen 0.5 of a degree in the last 100 years or so with UHI on radiating mornings.

Low was 30 here and most places out this way got about as cold as they did yesterday with all below freezing and a number of upper 20s. Thus a bit colder then expected as most were expected to stay just above freezing ( 33-35 ) with just some frost expected. Guessing the dry soils helped the cause along with the very calm winds.

The latest Jamstec should send a few over the cliff for next fall and winter. Did someone say 76-77?? :o Yes it now looks very similar to 76 with near normal temps for summer and below to much below normal temps for fall and winter and a weak nino. Main difference is it is a bit wetter looking then that was.

we actually got snow in the fall of 1976! 4" in oct and 3.6" in nov. Dec & Feb sucked with 5.3/5.6" Jan had a little over 15" March had 12.4" April 2.1"

I'd love the two following winters, too.. 1977-78 - 80.7" 1978-79 - 82.9"

Looking forward to the next 3 winters Harry's locked in for me :hug:

we actually got snow in the fall of 1976! 4" in oct and 3.6" in nov. Dec & Feb sucked with 5.3/5.6" Jan had a little over 15" March had 12.4" April 2.1"

I'd love the two following winters.. 1977-78 - 80.7" 1978-79 - 82.9"

Yeah 76-77 generally sucked for snow despite the epic cold. Was great for LES and snow cover though. Was a pretty dry winter for most of the country and thus the lacking snowfall for many. The precip maps give it more of a 77-78 look just shift the wetness from i95 out towards this way a bit more..

Precip

tprep.glob.DJF2013.1apr2012.gif

Temps

temp2.glob.DJF2013.1apr2012.gif

77-78 precip

post-90-0-45568400-1334346243.png

vs 76-77 which as said was dry

post-90-0-97456200-1334346267.png

What a way to start off the weekend boys & girls. Harry Guaranteeing us all cold and shoveled snow piles as high as alek's highest chest pube gone curly crazy.

:lol::P

meh.. No guarantees YET. But yeah i do like our odd's considering the players we *should* have on the field. The questionable one is the Nino ( could end up stronger or even weaker and thus neutral ) and thus why i won't jump yet. Everything right *now* is pointing towards atleast a weak nino. Have to wait and see on this one.

What a way to start off the weekend boys & girls. Harry Guaranteeing us all cold and shoveled snow piles as high as alek's highest chest pube gone curly crazy.

Lol! :lmao:

This past winter was once in a lifetime experience. We only have room for improvement next winter! :snowing:

Strong nino next winter FTW to do even better.

nino34Mon.gif

meh.. QBO for one should put up a good fight via tropical forcing ( MJO etc ) to keep us from going into a mod/strong Nino. Why i still worry ( your best hope btw for a warmer outcome ) about neutral conditions and never achieving Nino conditions.

That btw would be considered a mod nino.. Not strong.

meh.. QBO for one should put up a good fight via tropical forcing ( MJO etc ) to keep us from going into a mod/strong Nino. Why i still worry ( your best hope btw for a warmer outcome ) about neutral conditions and never achieving Nino conditions.

That btw would be considered a mod nino.. Not strong.

Yeah, I was looking at the grouping of members that go above 1.5. They have been trending upward the past several weeks.

Yeah, I was looking at the grouping of members that go above 1.5. They have been trending upward the past several weeks.

You want a repeat of this past winter then the best way to get that would be with neutral conditions. A strong nino wont help your cause. Neutral could ( not saying will ) cause us to be stuck in the same or similar pattern to what we had this past winter. Thus why neutral offers you your best shot at a repeat. If anything a strong nino would give us a winter like 09-10 but a bit wetter.

Archived