Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Spring "Freeze out"

BowMeHunter

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be more interesting veg-dev and greenhouse flattening weather

In 1973, a significant late spring snow storm, which began early on the 8th, dropped heavy snows across the region. Totals for the 9th ranged from: In IA: Waucoma (12"), Decorah (10.5"), Elkader (10"), New Hampton (10"), Cresco (8"), Lansing (8"), Fayette (6"), Oelwein (6"). In MN: Harmony (11"), Caledonia (10"), La Crescent (10"), Spring Grove (9.4"), Elgin (9"), Minnesota City (9"), Grand Meadow (8"), Rochester (6.4"). In WI: Viroqua (13"), Prairie du Chien (12"), Richland Center (12", greatest one-day snowfall), Hillsboro (11"), La Crosse (10.3", snowiest April day, total snowfall 16"), Platteville (10.2"), Lynxville (9.5"), Genoa (9"), Lancaster (9"), Mauston (9"), Mondovi (8"), Muscoda (8"), Trempealeau (8"), Westby (8"), Sparta (7"), Alma (6"), Galesville (6"), Dodge (6"), Mather (6"

Enjoy the cold weather over the next few days because it looks like this is it, at least in the Chicago area. I know you cold weather junkies are liking it, but I'm ready for sustained warmer weather. Hopefully the fruit growers aren't hit too hard by this last cold shot, but that crazy March might have cost them.

sustained warm weather doesn't normally happen in early april. Take whatcha can get.

sustained warm weather doesn't normally happen in early april. Take whatcha can get.

Sometimes takes until early June!! -by the lake.

Edit: Staying out of the 30s and up to the mid 40s. Come to think of it I've experienced some chilly lows in the 40s every month except August around here.

Teens would be complete veg-dev!

We had that happen a few years back. All of the trees were leafed out and then over Easter we had three nights in a row in the teens. The leaves all turned black and fell off. The fruit crop was pretty much gone and the grass never really recovered. Hay Crops were at 50 percent or less.

Freeze Warnings keep on moving eastward across the region. I'm betting upper 20s right up the lake shore in WI - outside of maybe the Milwaukee urban core.

Dewpoint of 18° now.

0z NAM looks to be a tad colder for areas around La Crosse.

What's up with the pie wedge in far SE WI!...

temp11.gif

Down to 43° just before 10pm.

These cold shots are all normal. These are your typical seasonal transitions. We would have been better off if it was like this in March.

We had that major warm up in March, which is not typical, therefore it was literally like a seasonal transition from winter (whatever winter we had) to summer, and led to the widespread green up. These cold shots should continue all the way through the beginning of May.

Winds have picked up quite a bit, 13 mph gusting to 22 mph! Temperature of 35 °F at the airport, 34.2 °F on top of the weather building. When it gets below freezing this is going to be instant vegetation destruction with such brisk winds, for things that aren't hardy to freezing temperatures at least.

Just hit freezing up the road in Baraboo.

34 °F at the airport, 32.5 °F on top of the met building, but less than 3 hours till sunrise. This will be a light freeze at best in downtown Madison, but suburbs could push hard freeze since it's already below freezing out there.

Lots of 20s east of the Mississippi in central WI though, Volk is leading the pack at 26 °F.

Only reason I'm still up is cause traveling ruined my biological clock today. :axe:

Archived