• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Spring "Freeze out"

BowMeHunter

UHI FTW. It looks like I wont dip below freezing at all next week. It gets close at 33 but no cigar at this point.

I think it will be more about skycover than UHI. If it stays breezy and cloudy, it might sit at 33-34 all night with some snow showers possible...if it gets clear it will be below freezing. The 850s in this airmass are colder than any of the time during our several light freezes the last few weeks, but the weather conditions may be unsettled as oppossed to what they were on good radiational cooling nights. MOS is never a good indicator for temps in any warm or cold spell due to its climo influence. I see often times in these situations, especially in MI, is that lows may overperform and highs underperform. For instance, I can see something where, even after disregarding MOS, DTX will forecast a low of 30 with a high of 48 with scattered rain and snow showers under mostly cloudy skies...the reality is something like a low of 34 and a high of 43 with thick lake stratus engulfing the sky.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It must not have been bad down here so far there are butterfly's, bees, and fly's around even after last night. Only the wimpiest plants got light damage. Hopefully next week it stays cloudy enough to prevent a major freeze at night. Hopefully we make it through without a major trough plunging freezing temperatures into the deep south like 2007. In 2007 the ground froze a little one of the nights.

Talk about close...

Yep. I was out working a house fire this evening and we saw some mosquitoes, even though it dropped to 31 for about 3 hours here early this morning. I was out in the country just after daylight and many of the tree and plant leaves were not too happy, but have seemed to recover.

I think it will be more about skycover than UHI. If it stays breezy and cloudy, it might sit at 33-34 all night with some snow showers possible...if it gets clear it will be below freezing. The 850s in this airmass are colder than any of the time during our several light freezes the last few weeks, but the weather conditions may be unsettled as oppossed to what they were on good radiational cooling nights. MOS is never a good indicator for temps in any warm or cold spell due to its climo influence. I see often times in these situations, especially in MI, is that lows may overperform and highs underperform. For instance, I can see something where, even after disregarding MOS, DTX will forecast a low of 30 with a high of 48 with scattered rain and snow showers under mostly cloudy skies...the reality is something like a low of 34 and a high of 43 with thick lake stratus engulfing the sky.

That's an advantage Michigan has in these situations. The lake acts as a buffer. Back here to the west, were wide open to the full force of cold attacks. It will be interesting to see what happens Monday night/Tuesday morning.

We may have 3 shots at a freeze...Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday morning.  Tuesday morning has the coldest air aloft but may be the least favorable for good radiational cooling.  Wednesday morning is a bit warmer aloft but may have somewhat better radiating potential...same with Thursday.  I doubt all 3 end up as freezes...if I had to pick the most likely day I'd say Wednesday by a smidge over Thursday but it's almost equal in my view.

Ohio seems cold but it is relatively mild compared to what the upper Midwest has to deal with it can freeze into June up there. So if you have a warm spring that is bad. I only have until the 28th a April on average. Although I would prefer to live in Tennessee just because they get one more month of spring and one more month of fall then Ohio. I can imagine living in Wisconsin where you get July then it gets cold again.

Sub -10°C 850 mb's push SE ward on Tuesday AM. 0z NAM

t85w39.gif

The cold really "knifes" its way down. Looks like all of WI will be sub 30° that morning.

DLL: I bet some of those valleys in SW WI will experience mid 20s with no problem. Places like Sparta & Lone Rock.

Archived