• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country: Heart of Spring 2012NY + adjacent ON, QC, VT

Since no one has started a topic yet, thought I would. Buffalo has hit upper 60s twice in the last week with Rochester and Watertown breaking records a few days ago for high temperatures. Today Buffalo hit a high of 69 degrees.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

222 PM EST MON MAR 12 2012

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT BUFFALO NY...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 69 DEGREES WAS SET FOR TODAY AT

BUFFALO. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 68 DEGREES SET IN 1977.

Looks like another 16 days of warmth and sun in our immediate vicinity. Hopefully we get some nice storms coming soon! Looks like Michigan might get hit today with a Tornado Watch in effect. Do not think I will hit 50 inches on the year here in terms of snowfall. KBUF is around 34 inches, that is 8 inches below the all time low of 43 inches since the recording station moved from the Lake Erie lakefront to Cheektowaga NY.

Let early Tennis, Golf, Outdoor Jogging, and Barbeque season commence!!! :sun: :sun: :sun:

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since no one has started a topic yet, thought I would. Buffalo has hit upper 60s twice in the last week with Rochester and Watertown breaking records a few days ago for high temperatures. Today Buffalo hit a high of 69 degrees.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

222 PM EST MON MAR 12 2012

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT BUFFALO NY...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 69 DEGREES WAS SET FOR TODAY AT

BUFFALO. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 68 DEGREES SET IN 1977.

Looks like another 16 days of warmth and sun in our immediate vicinity. Hopefully we get some nice storms coming soon! Looks like Michigan might get hit today with a Tornado Watch in effect. Do not think I will hit 50 inches on the year here in terms of snowfall. KBUF is around 34 inches, that is 8 inches below the all time low of 43 inches since the recording station moved from the Lake Erie lakefront to Cheektowaga NY.

Let early Tennis, Golf, Outdoor Jogging, and Barbeque season commence!!! :sun: :sun: :sun:

Yeah, I called it quits on winter back in mid-February. The leap day storm was a bonus in my book. Seasonal total is 21.9, ~1.5" less than the airport a couple miles down the road.

Record high of 68 last Thursday...record high of 69 yesterday. Got a shot to tie or break today's record of 70. And early next week looks like it could be even warmer! I noticed the NWS is already forecasting a high next Monday of 72. Think about that and let it sink in. Forecasting a high 20-25 degrees above climo a week out. That's insane! Could we be pushing 80 next Monday? Winter is dead.

That would be nice, if I wasn't sinking in six inches of mud right now. :axe:

I can't believe how non-muddy it is here now. Very little signs of frost in the ground, although I was digging through a pile of dirt yesterday afternoon (actually my 4 year old boy was doing most of the digging) and on the shaded side of the pile there was still frost ~6" into the pile. I don't dare get my tractor out yet but the atv isn't leaving ruts (except in a spot or 2). I already have lots of my spring cleanup done.

T-shirt and shorts weather yesterday and windshield frost this morning.

ALB so far this month...

Avg Month Temp thru 3/13: 38.8

Departure from Norm: +7.2

Records:

3/8: 68 (previous, 66 in 2000)

3/12: 69 (previous, 67 in 1890)

3/13: 70 (tie) (previous, 70 in 1946)

Record which we could challenge for next week's "heat wave":

3/18: 65, 1966

3/19: 75, 1894

3/20: 74, 1903

3/21: 78, 1921

Those are some old records we've already broken and will challenge in the next week.

ALB so far this month...

Records:

Those are some old records we've already broken and will challenge in the next week.

Looking like almost a full week of record highs for the majority of the Northeast! Exciting times! Hoping to get some storms soon, maybe chase a few Tornadoes this year! Already played golf once with no mud at all, this weather is incredible!

BUF may set record highs for five straight days. Wednesday, I think the flow may be southerly enough that airport will not get into the cooled lake layer. That is the best shot at 80. The all-time March record high is 81, which is possible, but tough. They beat the record today which was the day in most question.

On record high down...three to go?

Sunday: 69 ...new record

ALB so far this month...

Records:

3 straight record highs here in Buffalo. Interesting excerpt from NWS climo section.

.CLIMATE...

RECORD HIGHS...AND HIGH MINIMUMS FOR BUFFALO AND ROCHESTER THIS

WEEK.

BUFFALO

DATERECORD HIGH (YEAR) HIGH MINIMUM (YEAR)

MON 3/19 70 (1921) 58 (1903)

TUE 3/20 74 (1903) 51 (1921)

WED 3/21 69 (1913) 48 (1948)

THU 3/22 71 (1938) 59 (1938)

FRI 3/23 78 (1966) 48 (1920)

ROCHESTER

DATE RECORD HIGH (YEAR) HIGH MINIMUM (YEAR)

MON 3/19 77 (1903) 58 (1903)

TUE 3/20 79 (1903) 57 (1903)

WED 3/21 72 (1921) 43 (1938)

THU 3/22 83 (1938) 53 (1938)

FRI 3/23 79 (1966) 50 (1938)

A COMPARISON OF THIS CURRENT WARM SPELL IN MARCH OF 2012 TO OTHER YEARS

SHOWS JUST HOW AMAZING THIS STRETCH OF WARM TEMPERATURES ARE.

FOR BUFFALO THE GREATEST AMOUNT OF DAYS REACHING 60F DEGREES OR

WARMER IN THE MONTH OF MARCH IS 11 DAYS SET IN 1973. FOR ROCHESTER

THE GREATEST AMOUNT OF DAYS REACHING 60F OR WARMER IN THE MONTH OF

MARCH IS 12 DAYS SET IN 1946. BASED ON CURRENT FORECAST HIGHS...WE

WILL LIKELY TIE THIS MARK ON TUESDAY...AND THEN BREAK THOSE RECORDS

ON WEDNESDAY AS BOTH CITIES ARE 2 DAYS SHY OF THEIR RECORD THROUGH

SUNDAY MARCH 18TH. A TYPICAL MARCH AVERAGES ABOUT 3 DAYS OF 60F OR

GREATER.

ANOTHER WAY TO DISPLAY HOW GREAT A STRETCH THIS WARM SPELL IS...IS

TO LOOK AT CONSECUTIVE DAYS AT OR ABOVE 60F IN MARCH. FOR BUFFALO

THE GREATEST NUMBER OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS 60F OR GREATER IN MARCH WAS 6

DAYS SET IN 1945. FOR ROCHESTER THE GREATEST STRETCH OF 60F OR

GREATER TEMPERATURES IN MARCH WAS ALSO 6 DAYS SET IN 1945...1968 AND

1998. PRESENTLY THROUGH SUNDAY MARCH 18TH THE STREAK FOR BUFFALO IS 7

DAYS...AND ROCHESTER 8 DAYS...AND COUNTING. MARCH OF 2012 WILL GO

DOWN AS ONE OF...IF NOT THE WARMEST MARCH MONTHS IN RECORDED

HISTORY.

BUF says go big or go home and now has a March record tying 81 in BUF on Wednesday.

82 now. With sunshine and humidity it may feel like the 90s... And were in march?!?!?! Fricken nuts. Im blown away with this weather. Well prob be looking back at it in june and july saying remember when it was warmer in march then it is now. Another thing is lake erie is already at 38 degrees (all time record warmth for this date)and climbing. Average for this date is 32 and at least partially frozen. There is absolutely no ice at all. I think the lake will break all time record warmth this year with this early early head start and no ice. We could be looking at lake temps in the low to mid 80s by late august/ early september. I hope that comes true as wed have a great lake season next fall and early winter with lots and lots of energy in that lake. Sorry to rant on but all of this is unbelievable. I forgot to add i had to turn my ac on for 3 hours today, granted im in the upper of an apartment building but it was still 81 degrees in my apartment today and i was forced to turn the air conditioning on, in marchhhhh?!?! ahhh

Foregot to mention i will be moving to orchard park,ny at the end of may. Got an apartment on north buffalo street for any of you who are fimilar with op. its about 10-15 miles south of where i am now and also a bit higher in elevation (around 840 feet there) so hopefully ill see more snow come next fall since ill be much closer to the big snowbelts off erie. Should average a good 20-30" more than here in cheektowaga.

Yeah they are so loud here too. The little dog has been chasing toads on the sidewalk too.

The snow finally gone up there TG?

I haven't heard peepers or seen frogs or toads yet, but did see a garder snake sunning itself on a rock this past weekend. Plenty of bees and bugs and a distinct lack of mud.

Below is part of an e-mail I sent to my family complaining about the early spring:

"To recap, by the first day of spring I have mowed some of my lawn and other spots need to be mowed, there are daffadils in bloom in the greater Delaware County area (not at my house yet), not only are the lawns greening up (and apparently growing) but some of the fields are, the corn fields are being plowed and fertilized, several people have their cold hardy garden plants in (peas, garlic,???), the local garlic seller has their garlic growing already, the maple trees I have are turning red (buds starting), the tug has virtually no snow, etc."

I haven't heard peepers or seen frogs or toads yet, but did see a garder snake sunning itself on a rock this past weekend. Plenty of bees and bugs and a distinct lack of mud.

Below is part of an e-mail I sent to my family complaining about the early spring:

"To recap, by the first day of spring I have mowed some of my lawn and other spots need to be mowed, there are daffadils in bloom in the greater Delaware County area (not at my house yet), not only are the lawns greening up (and apparently growing) but some of the fields are, the corn fields are being plowed and fertilized, several people have their cold hardy garden plants in (peas, garlic,???), the local garlic seller has their garlic growing already, the maple trees I have are turning red (buds starting), the tug has virtually no snow, etc."

WOW, no mud? Lucky you. I've got 4 dogs that have had no issues finding any in the yard lol.

The like the pond now too. A couple of ducks were in there quacking this morning.

Archived