• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NE snow conference March

mahk_webstah

I believe he meant the NE Storm Conference sponsored by Lyndon State College...they put on a weekend long weather conference every March...used to be help in Glen's Falls NY...last year it was moved to Springfield, MA...and it's very possible this year, if the finances come together, it will be in Taunton, MA...

if you want info, try here http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/ams/

I believe he meant the NE Storm Conference sponsored by Lyndon State College...they put on a weekend long weather conference every March...used to be help in Glen's Falls NY...last year it was moved to Springfield, MA...and it's very possible this year, if the finances come together, it will be in Taunton, MA...

if you want info, try here http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/ams/

Looks like it is a go. Anyone want to get together before or after the Saturday night presentation by Paul Kocin on Sat Mar 12? I have no idea if this conference is fun/interesting or whatever.

http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/ams/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=46

The Northeastern Storm Conference (NESC) was held in Saratoga Springs, NY last year and years past. As Diane said, it was also held in Springfield for several years back in the 80s as well as a few years ago before the move back to Saratoga this past March. Unfortunately, they decided to move to Taunton after a major snafu with the catering department at the hotel there at the last meeting. The AMS/NWA student chapter that sponsors the conference ended up owing quite a bit of money to the hotel, which was just paid off. I heard back from the chapter vice president the other day and confirmed that the conference is a GO for the middle of March.

The hotel where the NESC will be held was affiliated with Holiday Inn for many years, but recently lost its affiliation. I believe it is now called the Taunton Inn, but it is still in the same spot. RIGHT UP THE STREET FROM NWS TAUNTON!!! Yes, folks, you'll be able to see the radar dome out the back of the hotel up the street! Not sure about tours of the NWS office yet. We will have to work things out.

As for the conference, it's GREAT! It's the largest student run meteorological conference held in the U.S., in its 36th year. (Yes, I was on the Storm Conference committee during my 2 years at LSC way back when.)

A Call for Papers will be sent to NWA and AMS within a week (from what I've been told), as well as posted on the NESC website. They will have to move very quickly, as the conference is only 3 1/2 months away!

Here's a history about the Northeastern Storm Conference:

http://apollo.lsc.vs...id=20&Itemid=35

The conferences are usually GREAT, and with Paul Kocin (NCEP), Matt Noyes (New England Cable News) and Ken Carey (Noblis out of DC) as keynote speakers, it promises to be another good meeting. There are usually 250-300 people attending the conference, including students from several colleges across the Northeast (Millersville, Penn State, Plymouth State, UMass Lowell, etc.). It would be nice to have students for relatively new met colleges, such as Western Connecticut State University, to attend. Oh, and for the LSC grads, there is an alumni get together on Saturday evening prior to the banquet.

We'll see what happens. If folks from here will be attending, I hope a GTG will happen, maybe during the luncheon on Saturday, or after the conference ends Sunday around noontime.

--Turtle ;) (LSC Class of '82)

NESC is excellent! Went for the first time last year.

Plymouth chapter of the AMS did some fundraising to help out with the costs this year. Very happy that it's a go for this year. Was looking uncertain for a little while.

We'll definitely see ya there! Yeah, it was uncertain, as they had to pay off the debt before they could get going on the new meeting. Clearing up old business. And I'm sure that their AMS/NWA chapter was very thankful of your help.

See ya in March!

--Turtle ;)

The Northeastern Storm Conference (NESC) was held in Saratoga Springs, NY last year and years past. As Diane said, it was also held in Springfield for several years back in the 80s as well as a few years ago before the move back to Saratoga this past March. Unfortunately, they decided to move to Taunton after a major snafu with the catering department at the hotel there at the last meeting. The AMS/NWA student chapter that sponsors the conference ended up owing quite a bit of money to the hotel, which was just paid off. I heard back from the chapter vice president the other day and confirmed that the conference is a GO for the middle of March.

The hotel where the NESC will be held was affiliated with Holiday Inn for many years, but recently lost its affiliation. I believe it is now called the Taunton Inn, but it is still in the same spot. RIGHT UP THE STREET FROM NWS TAUNTON!!! Yes, folks, you'll be able to see the radar dome out the back of the hotel up the street! Not sure about tours of the NWS office yet. We will have to work things out.

As for the conference, it's GREAT! It's the largest student run meteorological conference held in the U.S., in its 36th year. (Yes, I was on the Storm Conference committee during my 2 years at LSC way back when.)

A Call for Papers will be sent to NWA and AMS within a week (from what I've been told), as well as posted on the NESC website. They will have to move very quickly, as the conference is only 3 1/2 months away!

Here's a history about the Northeastern Storm Conference:

http://apollo.lsc.vs...id=20&Itemid=35

The conferences are usually GREAT, and with Paul Kocin (NCEP), Matt Noyes (New England Cable News) and Ken Carey (Noblis out of DC) as keynote speakers, it promises to be another good meeting. There are usually 250-300 people attending the conference, including students from several colleges across the Northeast (Millersville, Penn State, Plymouth State, UMass Lowell, etc.). It would be nice to have students for relatively new met colleges, such as Western Connecticut State University, to attend. Oh, and for the LSC grads, there is an alumni get together on Saturday evening prior to the banquet.

We'll see what happens. If folks from here will be attending, I hope a GTG will happen, maybe during the luncheon on Saturday, or after the conference ends Sunday around noontime.

--Turtle ;) (LSC Class of '82)

I second all of what Eleanor posted. They are really good I have gone to most over the past dare I say decades? Worthwhile. for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wanted to bring this back to the top of the page.

The registration and abstract submission information is now on this website:

http://apollo-dev.lsc.vsc.edu/ams/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=32

The sooner you get your room, the better! Final cutoff for abstract submissions is February 11.

Hope to see many of you there! Let's have another GTG!!! :snowman:

--Turtle ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Another "bump up!"

Today is the last day to submit an abstract if you want to present (either oral or poster) for the conference in Taunton. However, if your abstract isn't ready but you know what you want to present on, you can contact the Lyndon State folks, but you have to let them know TODAY! The final cutoff to submit abstracts is FEBRUARY 11.

Also, the last day to register for the conference, for those that are going, is also FEBRUARY 11. Go to the page highlighted above to register.

Hope to see a bunch of you weenies there!!! ;)

--Turtle ;)

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE from LSC AMS/NWA. I am vice president of the club and its great to see all the support. We will still take abstracts for talks or poser presentations through 2/18 but please email us at [email protected] ASAP even if you have not written the abstract just so we know you need a time slot. Also, feel free to register through at least 2/18 and let us know if you need longer, it is not a problem.

Anyone who has questions please email us, we feel bad being so delayed with getting things going and we want to make sure we have a great conference.

• 3 weeks later...

:lol:

Do you still hate snow pack now that you have had it since Boxing day?

I lost a lot of snowpack in the rainstorm. I still have somewhere between 15 and 20" on the ground though. I kinda want to get rid of it at this point b/c I wanna know what my yard actually looks like.

I lost a lot of snowpack in the rainstorm. I still have somewhere between 15 and 20" on the ground though. I kinda want to get rid of it at this point b/c I wanna know what my yard actually looks like.

What was your peak? Did you make it to 3 feet?

We peaked at 37-38" here in early February. Still have about 7-8" of frozen cement on the ground in most spots on average, but its getting pretty ugly looking. Not that I prefer dead grass under it though.

Archived