• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Seasonal snowfall to date - NYC metro

famartin

11.5" inches in Nanuet in Rockland. I didn't count the numerous trace to 1/4" storms that we got... just the October snowicane and tornadojay junior storms. Sadly... my joke back in October about that one being the biggest of the season came back to haunt me

What did you get in the October storm? I guess 4" apart could make sense....but im worried i screwed something up.

I got 6.5 inches in October and 5 inches on 1/21

ok good....so my measurements werent awful then, and the 4" difference kinda makes sense....I got 8 on the nose here in October (going on memory here, trying to search the forums as i dont have my numbers in front of me), and 6.2" in january.

had 14" from the oct storm, about 5 or so on 1/21, & probably about 3/4 inches nickle & dime stuff through february. so if i count october, its like 22/23 inches which i THINK is about half of the average (whatever the he!! that means) of 40-45 per season. if i don't count oct,.....oh well.

11.5" inches in Nanuet in Rockland. I didn't count the numerous trace to 1/4" storms that we got... just the October snowicane and tornadojay junior storms. Sadly... my joke back in October about that one being the biggest of the season came back to haunt me

I made the same joke too so it's partially my fault.

Guest Pamela

The beaches are very elevated though William. Driving down the Fairfield coast my ears pop every time due to the elevation change. Weird how sea level goes up so quickly around that area.

I've experienced many a nosebleed while driving through Greenwich...though not all were elevation induced.

Not too bad actually especially compared to other locals in this sub-forum. It was definitly a year that favored being away from the coast. Two biggest events were the Halloween storm and the overrunning event. I estimate around 16" total. Far cry from last year but far from the worst on record.

I don't like that map....Dobbs Ferry clearly gets more snow than places further to the SE in Westchester along LI Sound. It doesn't account well for elevation (which is greater in the western part of the county abutting the Hudson), nor does it account for the influence of the mild sound which makes places like Mount Vernon (where my mom teaches) far less snowy than a bit further NW.

Not too bad actually especially compared to other locals in this sub-forum. It was definitly a year that favored being away from the coast. Two biggest events were the Halloween storm and the overrunning event. I estimate around 16" total. Far cry from last year but far from the worst on record.

I think Dobbs Ferry had about 16" too...10" from the October storm at 350', then 5" from the mid-January overrunning, and a few dustings here and there. A horrid winter but not as bad as 01-02 when the town only recorded 8".

I don't like that map....Dobbs Ferry clearly gets more snow than places further to the SE in Westchester along LI Sound. It doesn't account well for elevation (which is greater in the western part of the county abutting the Hudson), nor does it account for the influence of the mild sound which makes places like Mount Vernon (where my mom teaches) far less snowy than a bit further NW.

I think Dobbs Ferry had about 16" too...10" from the October storm at 350', then 5" from the mid-January overrunning, and a few dustings here and there. A horrid winter but not as bad as 01-02 when the town only recorded 8".

I don't like the map either, not detailed enough and some definite inaccuracies. 40-45" zone in NW NJ is underdone in spots. Parts of elevated western Passaic and eastern Sussex average in the 50-55" range. The 25-30" range for the north shore of LI is not ideal, I prefer 27-32" as a more all inclusive range. For southern LI, I'd probably use 22-27". SE CT looks underdone to me - down to the coast should be about 25", and the 25-30" zones stretches too far inland in E CT. Just to name a few errors.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't like the map either, not detailed enough and some definite inaccuracies. 40-45" zone in NW NJ is underdone in spots. Parts of elevated western Passaic and eastern Sussex average in the 50-55" range. The 25-30" range for the north shore of LI is not ideal, I prefer 27-32" as a more all inclusive range. For southern LI, I'd probably use 22-27". SE CT looks underdone to me - down to the coast should be about 25", and the 25-30" zones stretches too far inland in E CT. Just to name a few errors.

That map is about 5-10" on the low side for NW areas..

Archived