• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
2/19/12 Event Discussion - Only Reference to OP Euro/GFS allowed

Deck Pic

it's definitely not a situation to give up hope completely. the gfs is "loaded" to drop more than it does as well.. probably not a lot, but if anything is up i'd wonder about the evolution of precip east of the mtns a bit. im not 100% sure i buy it will go from ne to due east. i think we probably can end up in the .2-.4" range at DCA.. would lean low given where we are guidance wise. i just don't have very much confidence that amounts to a lot of accumulation. this storm seems like it will be very dependent on any banding and/or elevation to get totals.

I think anyone 0.20" + has a chance to get into +SN......locating banding is really tough of course too....we know from experience that we can be at 0.3" with a sharp cutoff here in DC and yet some megaband ends up setting up between Hagerstown and Marcus's house...as much as we love the euro, it is still a global model and it isnt going to get precip contours precise and especially so when the gradient is so sick...so anything from 0.05" and 0.4" wouldnt shock me as that is such a small shift

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think anyone 0.20" + has a chance to get into +SN......locating banding is really tough of course too....we know from experience that we can be at 0.3" with a sharp cutoff here in DC and yet some megaband ends up setting up between Hagerstown and Marcus's house...as much as we love the euro, it is still a global model and it isnt going to get precip contours precise and especially so when the gradient is so sick...so anything from 0.05" and 0.4" wouldnt shock me as that is such a small shift

Yeah hard to say. I thin we will need sustained here which I don't think we will get. WinterWxLuvr will be excited when he wakes up..

So it sounds like the precipoitation shield has expanded to look more like we think it should yet the surface system has changed very little in it's track. It still is exiting the southeast coast too far south and not turning up the coast to do much for DC proper. We need some heavy banding to get the temps to cooperate and let the snow accumulate and for that we need more than just the precipitation shield to expand. Let's hope the models currently aren't right and the track will shift further north over the next 24 hours.

looking at txt output it looks like DC area is fringed... spits out .02 and .07 liquid at IAD through 6z Monday

is that total? the .1 and .25" contours look basically identical to 0z on maps. .50 shifted slightly south as did northern extent.

could you give totals for dca, ric, cho, and roa?

Wow at the diff between EZF and DCA... but isn't that slightly more than 00z?

any changes other than those noted earlier (and even those) are very marginal.. not even worth analyzing as .01"-.1" differences are well within the margin of error. ;)

we have to wait for verification, but I think the case can be made, and the reason I made this thread, that utilizing the operational Euro/GFS in tandem and no other guidance at all would have yielded a more consistent and smoother forecasting flow....no doubt all the models had trouble with this storm....but using these 2 as checks on each other would have resulted in a better, more cautious product.....I am glad I made this thread....

we have to wait for verification, but I think the case can be made, and the reason I made this thread, that utilizing the operational Euro/GFS in tandem and no other guidance at all would have yielded a more consistent and smoother forecasting flow....no doubt all the models had trouble with this storm....but using these 2 as checks on each other would have resulted in a better, more cautious product.....I am glad I made this thread....

At this point we are praying the Euro is right, i think it is the wettest of all the guidance. You look pretty smart now.

At this point we are praying the Euro is right, i think it is the wettest of all the guidance. You look pretty smart now.

nobody is smart after this event.....but using the Euro and GFS in tandem would have yielded the best forecasting product around here inside of 72 hours or so....But that is what s most important anyway..I dont think it matters if they are good at 5 days

nobody is smart after this event.....but using the Euro and GFS in tandem would have yielded the best forecasting product around here inside of 72 hours or so....But that is what s most important anyway..I dont think it matters if they are good at 5 days

I think Jason's forecast from last night was pretty smart and that the CWG did pretty good in holding out from committing until it was expedient to put out a forecast.

I think Jason's forecast from last night was pretty smart and that the CWG did pretty good in holding out from committing until it was expedient to put out a forecast.

you guys always do the best.....this one is probably a done deal....I wonder if we see any precip.....my guess is a period of light rain/snow that doesnt stick...maybe someone down in PW county gets a 1" on the lawn if they get in a band

Jason might be about the best snow forecaster in the area at least totals/map wise. Consensus forecasting helps but he usually makes the maps

Of course it hasn't verified yet so I shouldn't yet congratulate him.

it doesnt matter if it verifies....there was never any justification for being bullish in DC metro...the way to go was always to emphasize something small and minor and just allude to the possibility of something more.....I dont like mets who swing for the fences.....I think it is poor forecasting....

Archived