• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
2/19 Weekend Threat

am19psu

6Z GFS still south. Didn't notice much northward jog if any.

Not sure which areas are in the running for heavy snow, apart from elevation areas in western Virginia and vicinity. Soundings off 06z gfs have above freezing surface temps during most of the precip at Richmond and DC (DC with much less qpf). Not sure which cities really get in on this as a big snow event. Obviously, a big change from 24 hours ago when DC, Baltimore, Philly (to a lesser extent), etc. were under the gun.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure which areas are in the running for heavy snow, apart from elevation areas in western Virginia and vicinity. Soundings off 06z gfs have above freezing surface temps during most of the precip at Richmond and DC (DC with much less qpf). Not sure which cities really get in on this as a big snow event. Obviously, a big change from 24 hours ago when DC, Baltimore, Philly (to a lesser extent), etc. were under the gun.

That has been my thinking as well. Spring time feel in the air across most of the USA. I just don't see much snow out of this except the areas you mentioned. And the areas that do get snow it might be kind of fun to see which happens faster, the accumulation on Sunday, or the melting on Monday.

not allowed.....that would take away 3/4 of my posts so far this winter!! Seriously what a tough winter for JB and most of the long range forecasters for this winter.. What has really hurt him more than other LR forecasters is being stubborn. Folks like Hurricane revamped and retooled based on changes while he did not!! W all know JB is certainly smart and is quite capable of coming back with a stellar year next winter or hurricane season. Despite a tough forecasting winter I really have enjoyed his new venture Weatherbell and look forward to continuing my sub.

Fixed..

Can we make it a sub forum rule to never mention Jb ever again?!

What a disaster the models were on this up untill 24 hrs ago..

Euro had it's issues from the medium range too.. not one perfmored to well outside 72hrs.

That has been my thinking as well. Spring time feel in the air across most of the USA. I just don't see much snow out of this except the areas you mentioned. And the areas that do get snow it might be kind of fun to see which happens faster, the accumulation on Sunday, or the melting on Monday.

Funny and very true.

post-105-0-22231500-1329575022.gif

nothing in philly except MAYBE a flurry...with the dry air at 850-700 it'll be virga in the top fringe of this storm.

Agreed. A slight Northward jog, with no real impact. I presume it's too late in the game for any kind of meaningful jog north...

Speaking of jogs, I'm going for one. It's springtime out there!

Latest from a well respected met (JB) - He is not yet throwing in the towel and explains his reasoning below....

"The model feeds back, hands energy out in front, and pulls the northern branch back in IN ADVANCE OF THE MAIN SHORT WAVE, This drive it east.

One of the laws of physics states a body at rest stays tends to stay at rest, a body in motion tries to stay in motion. The point is until I see these things happening, I will stay with the idea of more of the original system holding on . We know the energy transfer will take place, but 3-5 hours later and a bit deeper with the original system is a very tiny change in the entire scheme of things, but makes a difference with the outcome to alot of people. Still I would much rather see the models in my camp at this time, than me on the outside looking in, and the pending outcome of people who last week had no idea this was coming yapping about how its another bust. The nature of the game I guess.

Problem with me is I dont quit until I know there is no chance. Too many times the weather, or many things, are there if one holds on. Someone making 5-10 forecasts then cooing about the one he was right on, well its not for me. Rather stick with one idea until I KNOW its wrong, which could be the case later today for me, though it may have been much quicker for you."

Latest from a well respected met (JB) - He is not yet throwing in the towel and explains his reasoning below....

"The model feeds back, hands energy out in front, and pulls the northern branch back in IN ADVANCE OF THE MAIN SHORT WAVE, This drive it east.

One of the laws of physics states a body at rest stays tends to stay at rest, a body in motion tries to stay in motion. The point is until I see these things happening, I will stay with the idea of more of the original system holding on . We know the energy transfer will take place, but 3-5 hours later and a bit deeper with the original system is a very tiny change in the entire scheme of things, but makes a difference with the outcome to alot of people. Still I would much rather see the models in my camp at this time, than me on the outside looking in, and the pending outcome of people who last week had no idea this was coming yapping about how its another bust. The nature of the game I guess.

Problem with me is I dont quit until I know there is no chance. Too many times the weather, or many things, are there if one holds on. Someone making 5-10 forecasts then cooing about the one he was right on, well its not for me. Rather stick with one idea until I KNOW its wrong, which could be the case later today for me, though it may have been much quicker for you."

see, here is a perfect example of what ails JB. He seems to think that only he has a grasp of the laws of physics. Did it ever occur to him that the modelers imparted the laws of physics to their models? Then we have the fact that many modelers with many models, all with the laws of physics built into them, are all converging on a miss for the area. But JB knows better!!

THE PATTERN11111!!!!!!1111!!!

Agreed. A slight Northward jog, with no real impact. I presume it's too late in the game for any kind of meaningful jog north...

Speaking of jogs, I'm going for one. It's springtime out there!

I would hardly call today spring, when it's well into the 60's then we could say it's spring..........this just a mild winter day.

The 18z NAM started out South and weaker for a time, however it ended up not being decent for areas South of the city thanks to a stronger low off shore and a better phase of the energy with the ULL in the midwest and the Southern shortwave. The result was the Northern edge dropped a tad, especially as you go West of the city but holding about the same East of the city, however more precip made it to Southern parts of the area, with .5 making it up to just South of Dover for example.

Archived