• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
5 year anniversary of a massive snow/sleet storm

OKpowdah

Best storm of my life... one that will go down in Vermont history. I still remember watching the news the night before and seeing the WCAX forecaster go 20-40" over the entire state of VT.

Had 27" in Burlington... at the time the second largest storm since 1880 and the largest 24 hour total on record.

The mountains had a legit 4 feet from that one. I still remember talking to the Mansfield Co-Op observer about that day and they use a 24" tall, 8-inch rain gauge to measure snowfall, and the thing sits like a few feet off the ground to begin with. He went to check it and couldn't even find it. The snow that fell in that 24 hour period was like 36"+ and drifts had completely buried the rain gauge. He reported 24" as that's the max amount he could've possibly measured (the height of the measuring can) but he'll admit it was much more than that.

BTV had 12 straight hours of +SN obs in that storm, getting as low as 1/16sm... ALB reported 0sm, too.

It was also the coldest temperatures I've ever seen significant snowfall at... the first 6" fell with temps of 0F to 5F. And temps never got out of the low teens I believe.

Massive drifts, University of Vermont was closed for 2 days for the first time since 1993 I think. Barns collapsed, livestock killed, that was something else.

personal-pics-1333.jpg

142_large.preview.jpg

Most sleet I've seen in my life...about 3" in central CT. CAD in the CT River valley was impressive. Forecast was to get to freezing or just above with a transition to plain rain. I don't think we made it above 20 degrees the entire day. I also remembering trying to dig my car out of 3" of sleet...might of well have been 2 feet of snow. Stuff was truly bullet proof.

Of course...where I am now, here in Albany...they got nailed with about 2'...with 3-4' just to the west across some of the higher terrain.

Was really hoping for a miracle storm like that to salvage this year...but I've given up hope.

Archived