12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Pattern looks improved for possible KU event 2/18-2/25 time range

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As bad as the low placement is NYC still gets a serious front end thump followed by light rain/drizzle/dry slot and a couple back end inches

On roaring east winds from the ocean, warm air advecting from the SW in the mid levels? That's all rain, except maybe very briefly to start. We either have to get this to occlude MUCH sooner, or force a more east track. Luckily, the GFS is way out on its own here (maybe you could count the UKM as being in support).

I think its safe to say this is more or less the most amplified possbility, as depicted on the 18z GFS. Big time phasing with the northern stream. 00z should be interesting to see whether the models begin to congregate on a more middle track or not. We're getting into that D 3-4 time frame where we'd like to see a decent consensus on general track.

I think its safe to say this is more or less the most amplified possbility, as depicted on the 18z GFS. Big time phasing with the northern stream. 00z should be interesting to see whether the models begin to congregate on a more middle track or not. We're getting into that D 3-4 time frame where we'd like to see a decent consensus on general track.

It really isn't that far off for such a divergence in modelling. Not a good situation if your a forecaster trying to put out a weekend forecast, especially a holiday weekend.

Thats just it its an extreme solution and we got extreme ots solutions as well. this run shouldnt be taken as gospel as its just another befuddled run. We are getting into that time frame as you said where were gonna get into the run to run consistency and we'll get a general consensus which i think may start tommorow till impact of the storm

It really isn't that far off for such a divergence in modelling. Not a good situation if your a forecaster trying to put out a weekend forecast, especially a holiday weekend.

I would probably keep the forecast very general at this point until we get some agreement between GFS/Euro.

Looking at today's models, I created a map showing the estimated position of the low with most of today's runs (except for the DGEX and 0z UKMET) for 12z Sunday - clearly there's a lot of differences, mostly with the phasing but with the timing as well, as the 12z CMC has the low near New Orleans when the GFS already has it over Virginia. The GFS is interestingly the northernmost solution, with even its southern 6z run still faster and a bit north of the rest of the models. With such a big spread, one set of models will probably trend towards the other, even if it doesn't completely get there. Seeing the GFS by itself isn't encouraging, but there have been times when the GFS didn't have much support and still was close to the correct solution. To stay on the safe side for now it would be easier to go with an in between solution along with a chance of rain and/or snow, although only based on my experience with model trends, NOT a forecast for this storm, I wouldn't be surprised if the GFS may be a bit too extreme but the rest of the models trend more amplified - again, just a thought, not a forecast, and it's still just as possible that it stays suppressed.

post-1753-0-89437600-1329348715.png

Archived