• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/10/2012 - 2/12/2012 OBS Thread: Snow, Rain, Sleet, Wind, Cold.

noctilucent

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you settle for 2.2" (final)? There's a boatload of Cocorahs observers around here, we'll see who wins tomorrow. I might have to borrow Mike's snow thrower.

They are trickling in this Sunday morning, looks like Medford Lakes at 3.4" so far. There is another Medford observation of 0.3" I believe was meant to be either 3.0" or 3.3".

Even the difference from PTW to PHL is significant (1.5 times more) Elevation is certainly a large factor with all of these marginal temp events....it really doesn't make that big of a difference with normal winter storms. In those cases it is just banding etc. I wonder how much has fallen within the city say up in Roxborough at 400 ft??

Pretty interesting(and climatologically correct).....

PHL under 50': 4"

PTW area (around 200'): near 10"

Higher elevations of Chester (around 700'): near 20"

What about Trappe? ;)

BTW I saw the person e-mails for the last two days and they seemed ok. (2.1" double event total).

:o

I wonder if someone tipped him (?) off to the ribbing he (?) gets about the mountain.

Yup, good #'s for a change from Trappe.

I think phlwx had 2" total. I had 2.2", combining both events.

Yep...inch from each event. I had the same total as the NWS employee in Spring City from round one so my measuring must have been somewhat accurate.

Here at the shore we finally joined the fun! Only got 0.8" but it's nice. 0.6" yesterday (as of midnight), Actually, from 10:30pm to 12:30am it was like winter! Real nice fall of flakes, wind blowin', enjoyed it. It just hurts the heart to know this what we have to settle for. It's _only_ Feb. 12, there's hope yet. I hope. By the way, wind has gusted to 54mph, present (11:52am) temp. 32°, overnight min. 22°.

Even the difference from PTW to PHL is significant (1.5 times more) Elevation is certainly a large factor with all of these marginal temp events....it really doesn't make that big of a difference with normal winter storms. In those cases it is just banding etc. I wonder how much has fallen within the city say up in Roxborough at 400 ft??

I have 12" for the season in Villanova, at 480ft.

Kinda like I think tombo said last night, yesterday was the most fun day of the winter so far...I left the floodlights on during the heaviest part last night, and that buck I took a picture of parked himself behind a tree, and was joined by two doe. They seemed to just be taking it all in as well lol... :snowwindow:

If you need any help with herd management, I know someone who can be of assistance. :whistle:

Regarding the elevation impact on snowfall totals, as i mentioned before I see a large variation in just a short distance. From work in Thorndale(El 300') to home in West Caln(El 800') there is often a dramatic difference in accumulation. Only 8.7 miles "as the crow flies". Last night there was a big change in conditions heading west on Rt 340 west of Rt 82 and it became more dramatic as I got closer to home.

I left for work early thinking the roads were going to be horrible, but there's hardly anything up here in Woodbury, and the roads are dry. Big difference from around my house were the roads are ice.

localized is as localized does....the push of the remnants of what moved out of Lancaster county kept pushing through and a lot was wasted on melting...when the band from up north swept down its western side degraded faster as the dry air moved in....and what was left was a gerrymandered blob that affected SE Burlington, eastern Gloucester, western Atlantic counties. Just as stuff was just beggining to stick to paved surfaces we shut off and that was it.

Archived