• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northeastern Storm Conference

weatherMA

The annual Northeastern Weather Conference organized by Lyndon State is March 2nd-4th. I know this usually doesn't get much interest from this forum but anyone thinking of going? Looks like Dr. Forbes will be speaking. I'm thinking of going as I'm looking into Lyndon for next year, as well as Plymouth, and I think it would be fun.

I know there's someone in this forum who goes to Lyndon who was probably a big part of planning, so maybe he can provide more info?

Here's the link: https://sites.google.com/site/lyndonstateamsnwa/registration

Hello.

As of tonight, I plan on attending the NESC in Rutland along with my husband. I also plan on presenting a poster on our office's experiences with the Enhanced Fujita scale during our survey of the June 1 Westfield to Charlton tornado (aka Springfield tornado).

Not sure what you are looking for about the Storm Conference, but Lyndon State has been running this conference for 37 years, the largest student run meteorology conference in the country. You are correct, Dr. Greg Forbes will be the Saturday night banquet speaker. Also, Mike Mogil will be the Friday night ice breaker presenter, and two TV mets from Burlington (Steven Glazier and Kerrin Jeromin of Fox 44) that are Lyndon graduates will be the Sunday morning speakers. Last year, Matt Noyes of New England Cable News was the Sunday morning speaker at the NESC held here in Taunton.

IMHO, you should attend and meet the students from Lyndon and ask them about the program there. There will also be many students from other colleges and universities across the northeast, including Plymouth, Western Connecticut State University, some of the SUNY schools and California University of Pennsylvania. You can talk to these students as well and find out about their programs. Attendance was over 200 last year, and has reached over 300 in previous years.

Deadline for registration is this Friday, February 10. Hope to see you there!

--Turtle

The annual Northeastern Weather Conference organized by Lyndon State is March 2nd-4th. I know this usually doesn't get much interest from this forumbut anyone thinking of going? Looks like Dr. Forbes will be speaking. I'm thinking of going as I'm looking into Lyndon for next year, as well as Plymouth, and I think it would be fun.

I know there's someone in this forum who goes to Lyndon who was probably a big part of planning, so maybe he can provide more info

Here's the link: [url=https://sites.google.com/site/lyndonstateamsnwa/registration]https://sites.google.com/site/lyndonstateamsnwa/registration[/url

Yup Forbes is our keynote speaker. It's a great time if you have a chance to attend. It's on Rutland vt

Hello.

As of tonight, I plan on attending the NESC in Rutland along with my husband. I also plan on presenting a poster on our office's experiences with the Enhanced Fujita scale during our survey of the June 1 Westfield to Charlton tornado (aka Springfield tornado).

Not sure what you are looking for about the Storm Conference, but Lyndon State has been running this conference for 37 years, the largest student run meteorology conference in the country. You are correct, Dr. Greg Forbes will be the Saturday night banquet speaker. Also, Mike Mogil will be the Friday night ice breaker presenter, and two TV mets from Burlington (Steven Glazier and Kerrin Jeromin of Fox 44) that are Lyndon graduates will be the Sunday morning speakers. Last year, Matt of New England Cable News was the Sunday morning speaker at the NESC held here in Taunton.

IMHO, you should attend and meet the students from Lyndon and ask them about the program there. There will also be many students from other colleges and universities across the northeast, including Plymouth, Western Connecticut State University, some of the SUNY schools and California University of Pennsylvania. You can talk to these students as well and find out about their programs. Attendance was over 200 last year, and has reached over 300 in previous years

Deadline for registration is this Friday, February 10. Hope to see you there!

--Turtle

Turtle, do you work at the Nws? My uncle work there and graduated from lsc in 1989!

Since LSC is getting represented, I have to speak for Plymouth ;)

I think I told you a few things already. But anyway, it's an excellent program. It's a small, very tight-knit community and you get to know the professors very well. They are always available to talk about literally anything, and are very helpful. There are myriad opportunities in meteorology for internships, research projects, etc. and the faculty at Plymouth really help to advertise these opportunities and encourage applications.

...these traits are absolutely consistent with LSC too though. Both great colleges for meteorology.

I think we usually have the second largest attendance next to LSC at NESC. Hope to see you there

Turtle, do you work at the Nws? My uncle work there and graduated from lsc in 1989!

Yes, I work at NWS BOX. I graduated LSC before 1989, though. I do know two 1989 LSC grads here. Who is it? Initials are OK. Inquiring minds, you know...

See you next month!

--Turtle (AKA EVT @ KBOX)

Thanks guys!I feel like whichever one I choose I'll be happy with so I don't really know how to choose. But anyway, ctsnowstorm, I might pm you as we get closer with my number/any questions.

I plan on being there that weekend but I can't get there until either very late Friday (1-2am) or Saturday morning.

Thanks guys!I feel like whichever one I choose I'll be happy with so I don't really know how to choose. But anyway, ctsnowstorm, I might pm you as we get closer with my number/any questions.

I plan on being there that weekend but I can't get there until either very late Friday (1-2am) or Saturday morning.

Yeah feel free! As a senior in HS I never really got a close up look at the way things went as a college MET student, so I want to try to help you as best I can. I feel like I wasn't as prepared as I could have been. So, yeah let me know. LSC was a better fit for me because of the program's tight knit nature and the reputation of the program. When I went to Plymouth, I asked what separated them from LSC and they had nothing to say beside the fact that there are more students at PSU, which solidified my choice of LSC. They also do a great job acclimating freshman MET majors to the program by mixing them with upper classmen.

haha no love for Ulowell? jk but good luck making your decision, lyndon and plymouth have great met programs

haha no love for Ulowell? jk but good luck making your decision, lyndon and plymouth have great met programs

From going to Plymouth, Lyndon is the better school for broadcasting if you're interested in that. As for Plymouth, that is an excellent school but if your heart is in broadcasting, LSC is probably the better choice because I have friends from Lyndon that have gotten jobs quick from broadcasting.

IMHO, you should attend and meet the students from Lyndon and ask them about the program there. There will also be many students from other colleges and universities across the northeast, including Plymouth, Western Connecticut State University, some of the SUNY schools and California University of Pennsylvania. You can talk to these students as well and find out about their programs.

--Turtle

I hope the conference goes well.

For some reason, I picture the above talking to students by the crowd here going something like this:

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here's a bump to see who's really going now!!!

Just got the OK on my poster presentation, and there may be an added surprise, IF a certain someone can't make it to the conference. Guess we'll see, eh?

Hope to see some of you in Rutland!

--Turtle

Since LSC is getting represented, I have to speak for Plymouth ;)

I think I told you a few things already. But anyway, it's an excellent program. It's a small, very tight-knit community and you get to know the professors very well. They are always available to talk about literally anything, and are very helpful. There are myriad opportunities in meteorology for internships, research projects, etc. and the faculty at Plymouth really help to advertise these opportunities and encourage applications.

...these traits are absolutely consistent with LSC too though. Both great colleges for meteorology.

I think we usually have the second largest attendance next to LSC at NESC. Hope to see you there

It was like that at UML, too (U-Mass Lowell). UML has a good graduate school prep program. The Met program typically would start out with 50 or so students in Freshmen year, then cut that in half by the end of Sophomore year...another 5 or so weeded out after that. Most Senior classes have 10 or so, so everyone knew one another's peccadilloes.

When I was there back in the mid 1990s, the program was less focused on Media - although you could seek internships and so forth - and more focused on the math and science of Meteorology. The program is/was not for the timid or meek though - direct application of differential equations and advanced vector calculus to the integration of fluid and thermodynamic equations. Part of the Senior final was to derive the Navier Stokes - ee haw! Of course there were the other classes FAST and modeling and stuff. One of the funner courses was using FORTRAN to propagate a wave through a medium.

OK, if you haven't read the SNE g2g thread (or even if you have), here's the scoop from my perspective about the Keynote Speaker change...

I received an e-mail in early February from the president of the LSC AMS/NWA chapter, asking me to be the backup Keynote Speaker at the Saturday night banquet for the Storm Conference. Being a 1982 graduate of LSC and worked on the Storm Conference Committee back in my days at Lyndon, needless to say I was thoroughly honored to be even considered for this. I agreed, thinking that...hey, what are the chances of having severe weather in early March anyway??? (little did we know...)

I started hearing about the potential of severe weather for 3/2-3 here on the forum, then looked at the stuff at work. Having done the forecast for late last week and seeing how deep that upper level trough was digging with all the warm air ahead of it, I knew there would be problems. I heard again from the chapter president on Tuesday, saying she heard from Dr. Forbes stating that he wanted to be there, but just wasn't sure. At that point, I got my shows ready. The show I had put together with the storm survey photos was pretty well set, except I added the Monson tornado video, and updated a couple of pictures including a comparison of photos of the Monson tornado vs. the Worcester tornado of 1953. The other part (which I started off with), was a lead in to June 1, mainly with info from SPC (I didn't have a whole lot of time to do a lot more), then a couple of slides from my SOO from a paper currently under review to be published on the Electronic Journal of Severe Storms Meteorology about the EMLs and backtracking them to the SW US. I also prepared my poster about our office's use of the EF scale along with photos from Monson and Brimfield.

The official word came in by e-mail on Thursday afternoon, which I didn't see until around 5 PM since I was off that day. The chapter president stated, "Mother Nature has spoken. Dr. Forbes contacted me earlier today stating he would not be able to make it to Rutland...." and went on to say they were very happy to have ME fill in as Dr. Forbes' replacement as Keynote Banquet Speaker at the NESC! OMG!!!

No one knew about this until the Icebreaker session Friday night. My husband and I arrived about an hour before this. However, we did not stick around, as it was hubby's birthday that day. I wanted to take him out for a nice dinner (that was GREAT!). When we got back to the hotel, the icebreaker had started to break up. Those that knew me were all of a sudden coming up to me saying they couldn't wait to see my show! As they say, the kitty was out of the bag...

It was a true honor and priviledge to step in for Dr. Forbes, a true expert in the field of severe storm forecasting, to give my presentations about the June 1 tornadoes in Massachusetts. The hub did hear a little grumbling about Dr. Forbes not being there, but it's just a tad bit more important for him to be at TWC to give his expertise during what has likely turned into a record March tornado outbreak in U.S. history. I got a lot of great feedback about my perspective of those two days (working on the short term desk on 6/1, then a survey team member on 6/2), along with good questions after the presentation. I also had some great feedback on my poster session.

I thought this would give you some background on how I ended up as Dr. Forbes' fill in as Keynote Speaker at the 37th Northeastern Storm Conference. (I'm still in some disbelief as I type this!!!) Pretty amazing weekend.

--Turtle

Archived