joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD/Elko, NV Banter thread

NortheastPAWx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might have to poke the head out the door tonite for an auroa.

2012-01-24 19:42 G1 and S3 Storms in Progress!

G1 - Geomagnetic Storm in Progress. G2 - Geomagnetic Storm warning in effect. S3 - Solar Radiation Storm in Progress. This Solar Radiation Storm is the largest Solar Radiation Storm since October 2003.

Solar-terrestrial indices for 23 January follow.

Solar flux 144 and estimated planetary A-index 9.

The estimated planetary K-index at 1800 UTC on 24 January was 4.

Space weather for the past 24 hours has been strong.

Solar radiation storms reaching the S3 level occurred.

Space weather for the next 24 hours is predicted to be strong.

Geomagnetic storms reaching the G2 level are expected.

Solar radiation storms reaching the S3 level are expected.

Radio blackouts reaching the R1 level are likely.

Not sure if I should use some 50 sunscreen.

G1 - Geomagnetic Storm in Progress. G2 - Geomagnetic Storm warning in effect. S3 - Solar Radiation Storm in Progress. This Solar Radiation Storm is the largest Solar Radiation Storm since October 2003.

I am unsure if we will get to see any, I have been poking around everywhere to get some answers, havent found any yet. Kinda pisses me off, trying to find out info and not one single source can get or give me an answer. I have never seen them ever in my almost 33 years of life, and would love to actually see them.

H*ll if we can't get a winter storm warning around here, we might as well track this geomagnetic storm warning in effect! ha ha ha :sun:

I am unsure if we will get to see any, I have been poking around everywhere to get some answers, havent found any yet. Kinda pisses me off, trying to find out info and not one single source can get or give me an answer. I have never seen them ever in my almost 33 years of life, and would love to actually see them.

listen for the thunder...;)

Saw them twice in the late 70's when i was a freshman at UVM...and once in early 2000s when we lived in Worcester PA (actually first thought it was limerick nuclear glowing)!

spectacular to see "live"...

I heard that they may make it as far south as northern PA but know that predicting the actual occurrence and expanse of northern lights is less exact than predicting the rain/snow line over Philly! :rolleyes:

It was cool hanging with Hurricane tonight @ NBC 10. Thx for the opportunity and time. :)

did you guys talk about the forum?

NJHurricane and I were there last Wednesday. They are putting together a promo on the "science" behind Glenn's forecasting, and how he differs from the other meteorologists on TV in philly market, but we did discuss the board a bit. It was great meeting Glenn and Sheena, and everyone there was really upbeat and professional. We got to go over to the Earthwatch area after the shoot and talk with Glenn a bit more. It was awesome... :) I didn't know they were still filming more segments (unless that's not why you were there), I'm pretty sure we were the first. I know we talked on camera with the coordinator for like 40 minutes, so I'm curious to see what they do with it...

did you guys talk about the forum?

Yep...a lil bit...talked more about climate, computer models, some of the techie stuff.

NJHurricane and I were there last Wednesday. They are putting together a promo on the "science" behind Glenn's forecasting, and how he differs from the other meteorologists on TV in philly market, but we did discuss the board a bit. It was great meeting Glenn and Sheena, and everyone there was really upbeat and professional. We got to go over to the Earthwatch area after the shoot and talk with Glenn a bit more. It was awesome... :) I didn't know they were still filming more segments (unless that's not why you were there), I'm pretty sure we were the first. I know we talked on camera with the coordinator for like 40 minutes, so I'm curious to see what they do with it...

My visit was unrelated to what you guys did (was something 10 was doing on social media & news...which is not going to be aired but was more a community forum) but that sounds pretty cool that he had you guys down there. I didn't know that those promos were taking place...was wondering why Thunder Road was mentioning promo on my facebook.

Archived