• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
January 12-14 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

GRR seems a little gun shy this time around after getting burned on the last event. They have the City of GR under an Advisory instead of a warning, for instance.

I think that has to do with the fact they are not exactly sure how the LES is going to play out (like you say they got burned in some locations last time). Right now they are thinking the NNW wind LES areas will do best.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that it matters too much (but if we're going to post 18z NAM images 84 hrs out, we might as well mention the 12z on the day of), but the 12z NAM has come in slightly wetter for the immediate area around southern Lake Michigan.

Everything seems to be playing out without major surprises, ratios sound like they'll be lower than initially thought though, so we'll probably need some of the banding advertised on the high-res models to materialize in order to realize higher end calls like mine.

EDIT: looks like the latest RUC keeps extreme NE Illinois in the pivot zone, we'll have to monitor radar trends to see if that is realistic.

I will say that even under the weakest of returns in Southeast Minnesota its still snowing pretty good. NAM and GFS both showing light snow the rest of the day. Probably 2-2.5 inches down now. Hard to tell with the wind. Maybe another couple throughout the day. Goodluck to those to my south and east.

I will say that even under the weakest of returns in Southeast Minnesota its still snowing pretty good. NAM and GFS both showing light snow the rest of the day. Probably 2-2.5 inches down now. Hard to tell with the wind. Maybe another couple throughout the day. Goodluck to those to my south and east.

ratios have to be pretty good back there firmly entrenched in the cold, something for us further east to look forward to on the tail end.

yup....chilly chilliness up your way...congrats!

post-5865-0-03387200-1326377799.gif

and a nice heavy snow report in central IL...

yup....chilly chilliness up your way...congrats!

and a nice heavy snow report in central IL...

Nice indeed, given some of the early report and RUC I'm becoming increasingly confident in a period of moderate to low end heavy snow for a period this evening over Northeast Illinois. My call is still sitting on the high side but any concern of an underperformer is fading.

Latest RUC through 12 hrs...still snowing over NE Illinois at this time

Nice indeed, given some of the early report and RUC I'm becoming increasingly confident in a period of moderate to low end heavy snow for a period this evening over Northeast Illinois. My call is still sitting on the high side but any concern of an underperformer is fading.

Latest RUC through 12 hrs...still snowing over NE Illinois at this time

i would be willing to bet that someone will end up with 8.5 in the area up here...maybe your back yard...maybe not....but it's a good lollipop number...hopefully becoming a consensus....never know

possibly...but i'm a bit west of the city...

-SN driveway/street covering quick with very little melting...

mostly fine flakes....a couple larger dendrites mixed in here and there. . .

sounds like you're off to a great start, sorta surprised that some dendrites are mixing in already...good sign.

I see Gino lurking...

could use the the exact same report for here right now. Told people a start time in Batavia around 9am, not bad.

Temp at 30.

nice...enjoy the day off!

sounds like you're off to a great start, sorta surprised that some dendrites are mixing in already...good sign.

I see Gino lurking...

yeah, i was expecting it to take until 10 or so for pavement to whiten up...but hey, i'll take it

Within the last hour we switched to slightly larger flakes, but we've gone back to the tiny stuff. I'll have to guess we have a couple inches. I like watching storms with dry snow and strong wind, but I hate how I can't measure it. I usually just end up averaging the other spotter totals from around Cedar Rapids and record that as my total.

Within the last hour we switched to slightly larger flakes, but we've gone back to the tiny stuff. I'll have to guess we have a couple inches. I like watching storms with dry snow and strong wind, but I hate how I can't measure it. I usually just end up averaging the other spotter totals from around Cedar Rapids and record that as my total.

a couple 1/2 mile vis spattered in there. . .

IAZ007>011-017>019-026>030-037>042-050>054-066-121500-

NORTHEAST IOWA

CITY SKY/WX TMP DP RH WIND PRES REMARKS

CEDAR RAPIDS LGT SNOW 11 7 84 NW24G31 29.68S VSB 3/4 WCI -9

CHARLES CITY * LGT SNOW 10 7 85 NW20G26 29.72F WCI -8

CLINTON * CLOUDY 18 12 79 NW18 29.63R WCI 2

DECORAH * LGT SNOW 10 7 85 NW18G24 29.68S VSB 1 WCI -8

DUBUQUE SNOW 14 11 87 NW15 29.59S VSB 1/2 WCI -1

MONTICELLO * SNOW 14 9 79 NW15G23 29.65S VSB 1/2 WCI -1

WATERLOO LGT SNOW 11 7 84 NW23G31 29.73S VSB 1 WCI -9

$$

IAZ064-065-067-068-078-121500-