• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Arctic Shot #1 Discussion/Obs

CT Rain

I'd like to see a real cold shot, something where most of the region holds below 20 with lows under 5. A high of 25 at BDL is almost not even double digits below normal and would be roughly 1 sigma type cold. I saw Ginx's mention of temperatures holding in the single digits in the other thread which is something that doesn't occur in Connecticut any more. A bit of trivia with respect to that post: what was the last CT station (ASOS only - Norfolk co-op averages a couple such days every winter) to have a high below 10? The answer is kind of surprising, and the bonus question is how long ago it occurred.

I'd like to see a real cold shot, something where most of the region holds below 20 with lows under 5. A high of 25 at BDL is almost not even double digits below normal and would be roughly 1 sigma type cold. I saw Ginx's mention of temperatures holding in the single digits in the other thread which is something that doesn't occur in Connecticut any more. A bit of trivia with respect to that post: what was the last CT station (ASOS only - Norfolk co-op averages a couple such days every winter) to have a high below 10? The answer is kind of surprising, and the bonus question is how long ago it occurred.

I know January of 2004 had a sub 10F max at BDL.

The coldest highs for the greater HFD area (downtown and BDL) all occurred in the beginning of the century when the records were still kept downtown.

December 20, 1917 (-1)

February 5, 1918 (0)

February 15, 1943 (0)

Yes they did. There are two other occurrences more recent than that one at BDL. That was a great month for cold though, relative to the last decade or so where cold months have become a rarity. Jan '04 may not rival '09 in terms of extreme cold, but was very impressive with respect to the duration of negative departures and number of days that never broke 32. Even along the shore that month ~2/3rds of the days never got above freezing.

Up here there were 2 straight days with high temps below 0F. I'm not sure if that had been done before in this area.

The coldest highs for the greater HFD area (downtown and BDL) all occurred in the beginning of the century when the records were still kept downtown.

December 20, 1917 (-1)

February 5, 1918 (0)

February 15, 1943 (0)

Now that was a brutal cold shot.

Uh I never said that????

12/25/80 is probably the most impressive cold shot in many of our lifetimes (not mine... but just missed it barely).

8 a.m. BDL ob was -11F with a wind sustained at 16kts gusting to 23 kts.

The high from 12z-00z that day was -3F.

I remember our septic tank had issues that day (living with my parents) and we were out working on it in the subzero cold.

Weird thing to remember...

Uh I never said that????

The post seems to be removed or editted from that other thread. You specifically mentioned how you like the howling wind shaking the house with temperatures holding in the single digits. That's what got me wondering when the last time such a day occurred.

12/25/80 is probably the most impressive cold shot in many of our lifetimes (not mine... but just missed it barely).

8 a.m. BDL ob was -11F with a wind sustained at 16kts gusting to 23 kts.

The high from 12z-00z that day was -3F.

Heh...afternoon high a little above -10F here. I wish I was older to remember that. It's too bad the fropa wasn't about 6-8 hours sooner that day.

The post seems to be removed or editted from that other thread. You specifically mentioned how you like the howling wind shaking the house with temperatures holding in the single digits. That's what got me wondering when the last time such a day occurred.

Oh that, it got deleted? Really? Wonder why?I was thinking about Tuesday night.

Dec 25 1980, that night partying at the Knickerbocker in Westerly RI, winds were just brutal, coldest day I can remember.

Dec 25 1980, that night partying at the Knickerbocker in Westerly RI, winds were just brutal, coldest day I can remember.

I wonder if that was when you and Jerry were comparing infections? I kiddingly asked for Bob to clean it up...

...sry

I forgot the date but last winter we hit -40 in Glens Falls. The Today Show had us as the coldest place in the U.S. I went to start my truck for work and the temp display said-- are you kidding me--- I was working for AAA Northway road services then. You cannot believe the calls we got.

GFL hit -30 on Jan 24, that is unusual but -20 or so happens almost every year.

Yeah I don't know why it would have been deleted. I could have sworn there was a Knickerbocker for a couple of years in Waterford on Route 1 near Oswegatchie. Wonder if it was related. Anyway, that's the one thing we've been lacking in recent winters: truly frigid bone rattling house shaking type cold air masses. Highs in the single digits down to the coast and wind chills in the -20s or colder. The Jan '94 cold is the last one I remember or was alive for. One of those days it took until midday before we broke above zero, and boy was I pissed when we cracked zero as I sat there counting down the minutes 'til max heating passed so I could rest assured lock in a high of at or below zero since I knew it would be a long time before the opportunity came along again.

Archived