• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Atlantic Tropical Action 2012 - Part I

Once decent looking AEW in a sea of unfavorable conditions (for now)

eatl_vis_loop.gif

That most recent wave that has just emerged off the African coast will have to be watched in the next 24-72 hours. Some of the models hold on to it several days after passing the Cape Verdes with a distinct low level circulation and mid-level vorticity signal indicating some vertical coherence. Could be the first legitimate AEW to watch.

zunxqr.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS and ensemble spaghetti remain the dog that doesn't bite. 6Z GFS does, right at two weeks, kick a weak low off Africa but at advanced latitude. NAEFS from NCEP site spread seems to indicate one or two of the Canadian members of that ensemble develop something in the Bay of Campeche and hit Tamaulipas in 9 days, but that is silver lining stuff, not anything I would expect to happen.

GFS in fanatsy range and ensembles now gets to the end of July.

Halfway through July, and July is supposed to be slow, no worries.

Lameness.

Indeed, the tropics are lame...good thing is that this season the subtropics have stepped up, and the 12z GFS depicts a rotten frontal system leaving some energy behind just off the coast of the Carolinas, slowly moving to the ENE while strengthening some. That's for early next week. Joy!

Indeed, the tropics are lame...good thing is that this season the subtropics have stepped up, and the 12z GFS depicts a rotten frontal system leaving some energy behind just off the coast of the Carolinas, slowly moving to the ENE while strengthening some. That's for early next week. Joy!

Can't even get a chinacane to break the monotony. Just EPAC fish storms.

:angry:

Its July. It is supposed to be dull. I want it to be dull, I'm 0 named storms, and a couple of models are threatening to ruin it with subtropical garbage Ernesto off the East Coast.

I'm just hoping Florence is big, thinking of doing an avatar change to Mrs. Brady if a Cat 4 Florence is bearing down on Florida next month.

post-138-0-88636500-1342464831_thumb.gif

ECMWF Montly Control run, which goes out to 762 hours has the Atlantic absolutely dead into mid-August. Probably won't verify do to the extremely long-durantion forecast and the inability to handle systems that do not originate in the deep tropics. Still thinking that we could start to see some MDR action near the end of July into early August if the SAL can take a break.

Still an interetsing forecast though.

ECMWF Montly Control run, which goes out to 762 hours has the Atlantic absolutely dead into mid-August. Probably won't verify do to the extremely long-durantion forecast and the inability to handle systems that do not originate in the deep tropics. Still thinking that we could start to see some MDR action near the end of July into early August if the SAL can take a break.

Still an interetsing forecast though.

Is that free anywhere?

A 1997 redux would make me the tropical forecast constest winner, but that is a consolation prize if Florida doesn't get hit.

Pour that lameness on...

lolwut :bag:

(We're not even on 91L yet...this is supposed to be 98L)

BEGIN

HPC_ATCF

invest_al912012.invest

FSTDA

R

U

NONE

NOTIFY=ATRP

END

INVEST, AL, L, , , , , 91, 2012, DB, O, 2012071718, 9999999999, , , , , , METWATCH, , AL912012

AL, 91, 2012071718, , BEST, 0, 398N, 552W, 25, 0, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0,

20120717.1845.goes13.x.vis1km_high.91LINVEST.25kts-NAmb-398N-552W.100pc.jpg

Pour that lamness on...

lolwut :bag:

(We're not even on 91L yet...this is supposed to be 98L)

BEGIN

HPC_ATCF

invest_al912012.invest

FSTDA

R

U

NONE

NOTIFY=ATRP

END

INVEST, AL, L, , , , , 91, 2012, DB, O, 2012071718, 9999999999, , , , , , METWATCH, , AL912012

AL, 91, 2012071718, , BEST, 0, 398N, 552W, 25, 0, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0,

Bored, I guess.

135.phase1.png

post-138-0-96140900-1342553360_thumb.jpg

Glass 5/132nd optimism alert.

It appears one of the Canadian members of the NAEFS, judging from the spread, hits the Central Louisiana Coast South of LFT on July 26th. And a single perturbation of the 0Z GFS spaghetti just missed New England with a 1008 mb "storm".

Still pretty lame, but I think we can go from 3/132 full to 5/132 glass full full optimistic.

And the potential name wasting invest looks bad this morning, preserving Ernesto and Florence for real storms.

That most recent wave that has just emerged off the African coast will have to be watched in the next 24-72 hours. Some of the models hold on to it several days after passing the Cape Verdes with a distinct low level circulation and mid-level vorticity signal indicating some vertical coherence. Could be the first legitimate AEW to watch.

It's right now around 11N 33W ...it looks ok, some easterly shear, decent convection, still attached to the ITCZ, but models are unenthused about it.

About SAL maps and CPC forecasts of a dry Africa.

Gray (and later Klotzbach and Gray) dropped it as one of the factors used in seasonal activity forecasting, with the beginning of the warm AMO it seemed to have a weaker correlation, but I do remember when Gray used Sahel rainfall as one of the factors in developing seasonal forecasts, and it had pretty good hindcast skill.

Obviously there has to be a relationship between abnormally dry weather in sub-Saharan Africa and SAL, even if pressure relationships and the strength of the low level Easterlies off Africa also play a role in the SAL.

About SAL maps and CPC forecasts of a dry Africa.

Gray (and later Klotzbach and Gray) dropped it as one of the factors used in seasonal activity forecasting, with the beginning of the warm AMO it seemed to have a weaker correlation, but I do remember when Gray used Sahel rainfall as one of the factors in developing seasonal forecasts, and it had pretty good hindcast skill.

Obviously there has to be a relationship between abnormally dry weather in sub-Saharan Africa and SAL, even if pressure relationships and the strength of the low level Easterlies off Africa also play a role in the SAL.

There's been a lot of statistical work on Sahel rainfall and seasonal Atlantic activity. There is no correlation when the AMO is positive and high correlation when the AMO is negative.

Archived