bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
NYC/Tri-State Area: Stumbling into January Disco

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temperatures soaring after being relatively stable only 45 minutes ago in the mid to upper 30s. Now temperatures are 49F and quickly rising, 60F certainly seems within reach.

Yeah, those were in the spots which were able to radiate this morning.

I just hope having spring conditions now won't actually screw Spring later, nothing worse than chilly, raw and wet conditions in April/May.

Someone did a composite of the likely matchups for next spring and summer and most averaged rather cool for the area. The assumption was a 3rd year Nina which gave the summers of 1956, 1975, and 2000. If you assume the possibility of going into an El Nino or neutral you can add 1968, 1986, and 1990 in there too. I didn't include 1972, 1997, or 2009 because those were transitioning quite sharply by early spring.

This is insane, mid to upper 50s in the forecast for today, after next week's cutter, we only get down to seasonable levels and then most likely torch again. I don't want to throw in the towel but I'm very close to doing it. I can't believe I haven't seen a flake since October, just unbelievable. There will be people in shorts today, I guarantee it.

I would'nt worry about long range forecasts it seems to be going back and forth. I think around the 15th to 20th we have a good chance of getting snow. Too many people are model hugging around here.

I would'nt worry about long range forecasts it seems to be going back and forth. I think around the 15th to 20th we have a good chance of getting snow. Too many people are model hugging around here.

I am proud to say that I haven't looked up any model maps since before Christmas. I'd rather just read about the changes occurring in the upper atmosphere and what they mean to our sensible weather here on the ground. All evidence points to changes coming. I would say at this point any change is a good change.

We're not getting to the 70+ degrees observed a day prior to this date 5 years ago, but considering that temperatures are already in the low-mid 50s at this time of the day and still rising steadily, temps might easily bust on the low side today... at this rate, someone in the area could reach 60 degrees this afternoon, even the MOS supports this:

post-1753-0-60757000-1325953299.gif

The 12z NAM shows mid 50s today, although it should be noted that it has trended warmer for today with each run:

post-1753-0-50189100-1325953438.gif

We're not getting to the 70+ degrees observed a day prior to this date 5 years ago, but considering that temperatures are already in the low-mid 50s at this time of the day and still rising steadily, temps might easily bust on the low side today... at this rate, someone in the area could reach 60 degrees this afternoon, even the MOS supports this:

post-1753-0-60757000-1325953299.gif

The 12z NAM shows mid 50s today, although it should be noted that it has trended warmer for today with each run:

post-1753-0-50189100-1325953438.gif

The models also ran too cool yesterday. You could see that yesterday's highs were going above guidance when the

surface temps were too cool for the 850's that they were showing even the day before.

The models also ran too cool yesterday. You could see that yesterday's highs were going above guidance when the

surface temps were too cool for the 850's that they were showing even the day before.

It's definitely not the first time it's happened this winter, where we saw the models too cold with surface temperatures even the day before, with the models adjusting warmer with each run on the warm day but still ending up too cold. I'm not sure what's causing this, but this trend seems to keep repeating itself.

It's definitely not the first time it's happened this winter, where we saw the models too cold with surface temperatures even the day before, with the models adjusting warmer with each run on the warm day but still ending up too cold. I'm not sure what's causing this, but this trend seems to keep repeating itself.

Whenever we good CAA or WAA, the models often underestimate the temps, IMO.

I just can't believe that when looking at the 12z GFS H5 -- we've got a closed low sitting right in the slot near the VA capes, which normally would be ideal for a snowstorm. Then of course the surface map has a 988 low over the benchmark -- good track, but no sub 0c 850s anywhere to be found. Talk about a kick to the groin right there.

I've broken the shorts and t-shirt out again today, for what seems like the longest autumn I've ever experienced.

59F on January 7th! This is awesome! :thumbsup:

How is this awesome? We live in the NYC area, its January 7, not April 27. We get up to 8 months of this type of weather year round, well more like 9 or 10 this year. If you want this constant warmth, then head south to Florida or California because I think this is ridiculous. Get ready for blossoming flowers soon at this rate.

Global warming fanatics will probably reign once more after this record warm winter ends.

The low of 12 just a few mornings ago is feeling like a distant memory. What's amazing is that we have this warmth with a beautiful sunny day. Generally this time of year, it takes a strong mid latitude cyclone tracking to our west to bring these kind of temps here. We could get this warm but generally with squally weather. Pretty amazing stuff

How is this awesome? We live in the NYC area, its January 7, not April 27. We get up to 8 months of this type of weather year round, well more like 9 or 10 this year. If you want this constant warmth, then head south to Florida or California because I think this is ridiculous. Get ready for blossoming flowers soon at this rate.

Global warming fanatics will probably reign once more after this record warm winter ends.

I'm ready for them. Temps near 60 feel great, so much better to be outside in and very enjoyable. If you want constant cold move to Wisconsin or Minnesota.

The low of 12 just a few mornings ago is feeling like a distant memory. What's amazing is that we have this warmth with a beautiful sunny day. Generally this time of year, it takes a strong mid latitude cyclone tracking to our west to bring these kind of temps here. We could get this warm but generally with squally weather. Pretty amazing stuff

I think we saw readings as high as the low 70s a few years back in mid January and it was a beautiful sunny day as well. Amazing that even with widespread upper 50s/low 60s, records go as high as the low 70s.

Archived