joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 14-15th GL/MW storm system

Thundersnow12

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with cyclone, the gulf gets cut off for a bit but both the 12z and 18z runs of the GFS have it recovering nicely as they have the 2nd trof coming down and attempting to create another good system. The 12z run really blows up a big one where the 18z comes so close but the trof stays with a positive tilt. I think this possible 2nd system would have a much better shot at producing snow due to the good cold air dump behind the first system and the colder air creates a much more impressive baroclinic zone. All this is still in model land so we'll see what happens.

I would bet stronger on a ECMWF type solution with a straight up cutoff low across the west. Either way in this pattern I am not getting excited for much of anything unless there is some reason to believe there is a legit pattern shift.

I would bet stronger on a ECMWF type solution with a straight up cutoff low across the west. Either way in this pattern I am not getting excited for much of anything unless there is some reason to believe there is a legit pattern shift.

The Euro has done really well recently, so I'd definitely lean towards it over the GFS. Just hoping the GFS may be on to something here, but we are a long ways out.

That system is totally different looking now. Looks like one piece of energy kicks out into Wisconsin the 14th, then the main piece on the 15th. It'll be interesting to see if that cold air mass meets up with the storm in the Western Lakes while the precip. is still around. ~After 120hours.

Several runs in a row now the GFS is not phasing the nrn/srn stream waves which is causing it to come out weaker. The nrn stream wave comes across faster which looks like it could be because the wave behind that one which comes onshore in BC is further south which is kicking our potential phaser further east.

easy to see hear at 90hr on the 12z GFS

srn stream over the four corners, northern stream entering SD/ND and the kicker wave pushing SE into MT

ARX discussing this event:

"LONG TERM...TUESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY 300 AM CST SAT DEC 10 2011 STILL LOTS OF UNCERTAINTY IN THIS TIME WITH REGARDS TO THE SYSTEM IN THE WEDNESDAY/THURSDAY TIME FRAME. MODEL TRENDS IN BOTH THE GFS AND ECMWF IS A SHIFT SOUTHEAST WITH THE SURFACE LOW TRACK. ALONG WITH SOME TIMING DIFFERENCES. GFS FURTHEST SOUTH TAKING THE LOW CROSS CENTRAL ILLINOIS...WHILE THE ECMWF LIFTS THE LOW THROUGH IOWA AND ACROSS SOUTHWEST WISCONSIN. 10.00Z GEM SIDES CLOSER WITH THE ECMWF WITH LOW TRACKING FROM IOWA INTO SOUTHERN WISCONSIN. OBVIOUSLY WITH THESE DIFFERENCES THERE IS STILL A QUESTION ON PRECIPITATION TYPE AND WILL CONTINUE TO MENTION RAIN/SNOW. ACCUMULATING SNOW QUITE LIKELY FROM THIS...BUT WHERE WILL IT BE IS THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION. MODEL CONSENSUS IS FOR THE HIGHEST PROBABILITIES WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY. SYSTEM WILL LIFT AWAY FROM THE AREA FRIDAY WITH COLDER AIR RETURNING TO THE REGION...WITH HIGHS IN THE 20S."

The 12z GFS was hinting at some snow from NE MO to NE IL around the 126 hour.

Seasonal trend for the loss. Northern stream junk once again dominates the flow pattern even when southern stream influences come into play. Another system where there are 2+ "moving parts" in the synoptic flow where it is essentially impossible for things to come together to form a respectable synoptic system until the system is deep into Canada. More junk.

90 kts into SEMI on the 18z

usagrd850mb1.gif

One thing to remember with low level jets is they are there for a reason...temperature inversions at night to be exact ( wll not "exact", but that is a major contributor). Definitely impressive though, but it is unlikely any of that mixes down, and if it were to mix down, it wouldn't be close to 80-90 knots since the low level jet would also be weaker.

One thing to remember with low level jets is they are there for a reason...temperature inversions at night to be exact ( wll not "exact", but that is a major contributor). Definitely impressive though, but it is unlikely any of that mixes down, and if it were to mix down, it wouldn't be close to 80-90 knots since the low level jet would also be weaker.

Understood. I figured that nothing like that would actually come down to the surface. But yeah I really thought it was more inpressive than anything else.

LOT...

RIGHT NOW EXPECT RAINFALL TOTALS IN THE 1.25 -1.5

INCH RANGE BUT EMBEDDED CONVECTION WOULD SUPPORT LOCALLY HIGHER

AMOUNTS. WITH THE PRESENCE OF SUCH STRONG LOW LEVEL WIND FIELDS

CANNOT RULE OUT THUNDERSTORMS PRODUCING SOME ISOLATED DAMAGING WIND

GUSTS. WINDS WILL BE GUSTY WITHOUT STORMS WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY

NIGHT AS THE PRESSURE GRADIENT TIGHTENS.

LOT...

RIGHT NOW EXPECT RAINFALL TOTALS IN THE 1.25 -1.5

INCH RANGE BUT EMBEDDED CONVECTION WOULD SUPPORT LOCALLY HIGHER

AMOUNTS. WITH THE PRESENCE OF SUCH STRONG LOW LEVEL WIND FIELDS

CANNOT RULE OUT THUNDERSTORMS PRODUCING SOME ISOLATED DAMAGING WIND

GUSTS. WINDS WILL BE GUSTY WITHOUT STORMS WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY

NIGHT AS THE PRESSURE GRADIENT TIGHTENS.

just saw this, il def take that.

Archived