• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 14-15th GL/MW storm system

Thundersnow12

All models are in pretty good agreement on a storm system running northeast between eastern NE and northwest IL with the GFS/Euro showing it going sub 998mb with warm temps in the warm sector with lots of rain and swath of snow possible on the northwest side.

12z Euro took a jump east in line closer to the GFS.

Euro takes the low through northern IA (996mb)

GFS- 997mb over DVN

GEM- weaker solution with large 1004mb low going from MO to lake michigan.

The cold air comes in late so right now this doesn't look like a big snow event but will have to be watched.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z GFS spits out 2.75" precip at ORD

from LOT

BUT HIGHLIGHTED TIME FOR HEAVIER RAINFALL

IS WEDNESDAY NIGHT WHERE LIKELY POPS ALREADY EXIST IN THE GRIDS DUE

TO UNUSUALLY GOOD MODEL AGREEMENT AT THIS POINT. PWATS GREATER THAN

1 INCH ON GFS BUFKIT SOUNDINGS AND IMPRESSIVE 2-3 SD ABOVE NORMAL

H85 MOISTURE FLUX ON GFS ENSEMBLE SUGGEST POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY RAIN

AT LEAST FOR PORTION OF CWA WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

Obviously I'd love some snow, but I'm all for anything that delivers a decent amount of precip. As someone said earlier in another thread, it's better than suppressed/moisture starved crap. tomato.gif

I can agree with this sentiment. Warm/dry, cold/dry is the same dull weather.

December is going to go in the books for many of us in this area and points East across Northern IL/Southern WI as one of the least snowy Decembers on record. I'm ready to just about say book it. It doesn't look cold enough for any good snows around here the whole month, and as DVN pointed out today the AO indices start climbing again just before Xmas...thus warmer weather coming back right in time for Xmas and just beyond.

I think we have our trend for Winter developing, which is the moisture laden storms are likely to pull in warmer air, followed by periods of cold/dry or small snowfalls. January could certainly be different but may just be that Late January-March might end up being our "Winter". God I hope I'm wrong about that.

Will be all liquid here. Models occasionally trying to show some transitory blocking, but considering how lackluster the antecedent "arctic" airmass will be, I don't think even if that blocking were to come to fruition it would be enough for appreciable wintry precip. (pardon my heavy, heavy run-on sentence).

D7-8 looks interesting. But then again, so did this storm 4 days ago.

Will be all liquid here. Models occasionally trying to show some transitory blocking, but considering how lackluster the antecedent "arctic" airmass will be, I don't think even if that blocking were to come to fruition it would be enough for appreciable wintry precip. (pardon my heavy, heavy run-on sentence).

D7-8 looks interesting. But then again, so did this storm 4 days ago.

The arctic airmass just can't get going gung ho outside of North/Northwest Canada due to the lack of significant snowfield (depth and area). I could forgive missing a couple storms as long as they would lay down good snow between here and there, but its just not happening so far.

As for the models, seems like the long range prediction models always want to show the pattern turning favorable, only to never materialize. Hopefully one of these things can get going and nail most of us but I just don't see anything noteworthy before the end of the month. We're in a little bubble right now with some nice chill but, as has been the case so far, its not going to last and no storms to tap this airmass. One positive is we've had a steady stream of systems, averaging one a week, so there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

December is going to go in the books for many of us in this area and points East across Northern IL/Southern WI as one of the least snowy Decembers on record. I'm ready to just about say book it. It doesn't look cold enough for any good snows around here the whole month, and as DVN pointed out today the AO indices start climbing again just before Xmas...thus warmer weather coming back right in time for Xmas and just beyond.

I think we have our trend for Winter developing, which is the moisture laden storms are likely to pull in warmer air, followed by periods of cold/dry or small snowfalls. January could certainly be different but may just be that Late January-March might end up being our "Winter". God I hope I'm wrong about that.

I hope you are too, but it seems the moist storms will be at best transient shots in split flow with longer periods of dominant +AO junk. Even the moist storms will have a major +AO/neutral AO to deal with. This storm is a good example with only a brief shot during the latter stages as it phases and pulls down a bit of cold air.

Gilbert at NIU mentioned the next system would probably be moisture starved since the gulf was pretty well scoured out. It is interesting to now ready LOT thinking there may be some significant precip, albeit rain.

The next system as in this storm day 5 or the next system day 7-8? I agree if he is discussing the day7-8 system as the GOM will be worthless. Been the trend this year. One wave scours out the GOM to be followed by a dump of cold air and a weaker system with no GOM moisture to work with.

Day 5 system...thinking quarter to half inch modest return moisture at best with rain at present. Have had several nice snows here in Elkhart area this season so I feel for those of you looking for your area to receive a taste of winter.

I have to disagree strongly here. The GOM is going to be wide open with favorable trajectories and a long residence time. It looks very moist.

If the 12z GFS were to pan out there could be a secondary wave by next weekend. At 180hrs there's a very powerful upper jet diving south through the western CONUS on the back side of the LW trough. It's sort of a long shot, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something evolve from that as we get closer in time.

GFS_3_2011120912_F180_WSPD_300_MB.png

Yep, this is going to be a wet one, trajectories into the GL/MW right up off the Western Gulf with good southerly flow being very sufficient at transporting that as well. Throw in some decent dynamics and widespread, significant rains look like a good bet over a wide area. I can see the potential for wide areas getting 1-1.5" of rain.

This system will shut the gulf off, so anything that follows will have a hard time tapping the gulf...for a while.

If the 12z GFS were to pan out there could be a secondary wave by next weekend. At 180hrs there's a very powerful upper jet diving south through the western CONUS on the back side of the LW trough. It's sort of a long shot, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something evolve from that as we get closer in time.

GFS_3_2011120912_F180_WSPD_300_MB.png

See this is where the fun might start.

Hmmm... that is an interesting map cyclone... I could see a scenario in which a second system develops on that second speed max. But I'm kinda wondering if that happens if we would see a more W-E track system taking a Southerly route and missing most of us, who knows how that would play out right now, a bit to far out to speculate. But I could see a similar track to the Wed-Thu system, perhaps a bit SE of that wave if a second one were to develop, this possibility will be interesting to watch.

I'm with cyclone, the gulf gets cut off for a bit but both the 12z and 18z runs of the GFS have it recovering nicely as they have the 2nd trof coming down and attempting to create another good system. The 12z run really blows up a big one where the 18z comes so close but the trof stays with a positive tilt. I think this possible 2nd system would have a much better shot at producing snow due to the good cold air dump behind the first system and the colder air creates a much more impressive baroclinic zone. All this is still in model land so we'll see what happens.

Hmmm... that is an interesting map cyclone... I could see a scenario in which a second system develops on that second speed max. But I'm kinda wondering if that happens if we would see a more W-E track system taking a Southerly route and missing most of us, who knows how that would play out right now, a bit to far out to speculate. But I could see a similar track to the Wed-Thu system, perhaps a bit SE of that wave if a second one were to develop, this possibility will be interesting to watch.

Exactly what the 12z GFS was showing.

Archived