• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2011 Weather Recap

Hoosier

This is a thread to post about noteworthy weather events IYBY. I'll start.

Feb 1: 3-4" sleet with a couple inches of snow on top

Feb 10: low of -10, the coldest temp of the season

Apr 19: sig QLCS; tornadoes, 1 northeast and 1 just south of LAF

May 11: first 90 degree temp

Jun 20: 3.14" rain, wettest calendar day of the year

Jul 11: 82 degree dewpoint/heat index near 120

Jul 21: high of 101, the 3rd of 4 consecutive days of highs of 97+

Aug 7: 67 mph wind gust at LAF

Nov 14: close call with tor warned storm

Nov 29: first "significant" snow of the season

Dec???

I first read this as 2011 Winter Recap, and thought crap, it's over already (thinking this current winter). facepalm.png

Anyways, I got nothing to add to the above list as you have it covered well, other than just a really wet year in general.

I thought about putting that late northwest trender on there that went from nothing to like 3-5" but couldn't remember the date. Maybe sometime in February?

Feb 4-5th. http://www.americanw...5th-snow-event/

Funny thing is I re-read that thread the other night.

Thanks.If I had to grade the entire year for us in terms of activity, I'd probably go B/B-. We lacked major cold and major snow (at least in terms of a big event) but the heat was pretty significant. Also it's been very wet as you said.

Thanks.If I had to grade the entire year for us in terms of activity, I'd probably go B/B-. We lacked major cold and major snow (at least in terms of a big event) but the heat was pretty significant. Also it's been very wet as you said.

I'd go B+.

As for winter, sure we lacked a big snowstorm, but we won't see that much snow in a season for a long time. I'd downgrade if my personal preferences we're part of the grading (hot summer=lower grade ;)), but the extremes were impressive.

I'd go B+.

As for winter, sure we lacked a big snowstorm, but we won't see that much snow in a season for a long time. I'd downgrade if my personal preferences we're part of the grading (hot summer=lower grade wink.png), but the extremes were impressive.

After thinking for a few mins, I'm gonna revise to B+/B.

I had a a fair share of events this year. Apart from the GHD Blizzard, there was many damaging wind events around Lake County.

January 11th – Lake effect snow, 6”.

January 17th-18th – Moderate snow event, 5”.

January 21st – Cold, -6°F Low, Wind chills near -26°F

January 31st – Lake effect snow ahead of storm, 1.7”.

February 1-2, Blizzard! Winds to 60mph, Civil Emergency Declared, Most roads impassable from late the 1st till midday the 3rd. 3 days storm total: 24.2”. Many cars buried in ditches in town, Schools closed rest of week.

February 9-10, Intense part of cold wave; 2/9: High 9°F, 2-10: Low -9°F. Wind Chills, low -30°s.

February 12-18th. Thaw, high 55 on the 17th. Fog came with warm-up though.

February 20th., Snow, Sleet, Freezing Rain, Thunder and Hail all in one day!

February 27th, Freezing rain, sleet.

March 1-12th, Mostly above normal temps, ~1” of rain, flooding on nearby rivers from runoff, snow melt.

March 20th, First thunderstorm of the year.

March 22-23, Rain to snow, some flooding

Below normal for rest of March.

April 3rd – First Severe thunderstorm watch, high 60s, thunderstorms, non-severe.

April 10th – First 80, 83°

April 14th-22nd, 5-20° below normal. 3” of snow on the 18th.

April 26th – Heavy Rain, 1.5”

May 5th – Last frost of season.

May 22nd – First tornado watch, severe thunderstorms.

May 29th-30th, Strong storms, heavy rain = street flooding. 30th: First 90.

June 6-8th, low to mid 90s, humid > severe thunderstorms, winds to 55mph

June 15th, Derecho off of thunderstorm complex over lake, winds to 60mph – some light tree damage.

June 21st, Derecho, severe storms, tree/powerline damage, winds over 50mph.

June 30th, Strong storm outflow boundary caused hurricane force winds to 80mph, roof damage in immediate area, power outage, many trees destroyed. No rain!

July 11th – Severe storms with high winds over 55mph, more tree damage, power outages.

July 16th-21st, Hot, humid, 97° the 20th

July 22nd-23rd, Very heavy rain, major local flooding, 4” of rain in 6 hours.

July 27th, Severe thunderstorms with hail, heavy rain – in excess of 5”. Flooding.

August – nothing too extreme. Normal rain and temperatures.

September 13th, Smoke and ash drifts in from Pagami Creek Forest fire in NE MN.

September 15th, Early light frost.

October 8th, Last 80° day.

October 19th-20th, High Wind Warning, Gusts to 50mph, Coastal erosion, blowing sand within a few blocks of lake.

October 30th, First freeze

November 9th, First snowfall trace.

November 10th, First 0.1” of snow (lasted about 30 minutes on ground)

December 1st, 0.8” of snow

The GHD blizzard was hands down the highlight of the year here. Have over 43" of precip for the year so far according to the weather station. May be a bit low though since snow moisture never gets accurately measured by that. We avoided severe thunderstorms here this year. Highest wind gust from a thunderstorm never topped 45mph, which is pretty rare for around here.

Chasing wise, got off to a decent start in April into early May. Didn't have any chases beyond May 22. Cannot WAIT to get back out there next Spring.

The GHD blizzard was hands down the highlight of the year here. Have over 43" of precip for the year so far according to the weather station. May be a bit low though since snow moisture never gets accurately measured by that. We avoided severe thunderstorms here this year. Highest wind gust from a thunderstorm never topped 45mph, which is pretty rare for around here.

Chasing wise, got off to a decent start in April into early May. Didn't have any chases beyond May 22. Cannot WAIT to get back out there next Spring.

Agreed, Heck the week or so of following the GHD event was better then the actual event. One week high :)

Had a bad year chasing only seeing one tornado (9 the year before) Plus wasn't out that much.

Hands down the most exciting storm to track within a week. When models consistently indicated 1.5" + liquid equivalent a few days in advance for many areas, the excitement lasted for days. Also, never seen so many breathtaking clown maps for one storm either.

Agreed, Heck the week or so of following the GHD event was better then the actual event. One week high smile.png

Had a bad year chasing only seeing one tornado (9 the year before) Plus wasn't out that much.

Hands down the most exciting storm to track within a week. When models consistently indicated 1.5" + liquid equivalent a few days in advance for many areas, the excitement lasted for days. Also, never seen so many breathtaking clown maps for one storm either.

I remember coming home from work and having to skim through 30+ new pages of posts in the storm thread.

I just figured out what GHD means. facepalm.png

I don't keep track of the dates stuff happens here, I fail as a wxnerd. The biggest events IMBY were the 5" glaicer, late Feb un-warned Ingalls tornado, mid spring floods (I participated in a few water rescues), and August severe storms that did alot of tree damage.

May 25th - Baseball sized hail in Centerville, Bellbrook and Xenia, Ohio (south and east of downtown Dayton). One of Ohio's costliest storms (insurance wise) in history.

All Year - Crazy amounts of rain...I think we're 15-20 inches above normal in most places around Dayton.

I do not like this day, chasing high risk bust in southern IL when it looked soooo good at around noon that day.

I do not like this day, chasing high risk bust in southern IL when it looked soooo good at around noon that day.

Same here. I busted in Illinois when there were two really big tornadoes closer to home along a nice 500 mb jet (in southeastern Indiana) and a massive supercell with giant hail almost in my backyard. What a waste of of a day...I'm still bitter about it.

the best events in central IL so far would have to be the Ghd Blizzard and the April 19th Severe Weather Outbreak

I was in Central Illinois for April 19th. Narrowly missed a tornado close to I-55, but sat underneath the most vicious looking gust front (with a nice beaver tail cloud) south of Springfield. It made for some great pictures.

1.) Feb 1/2nd snowstorm. So much was made about the actual bust of snowfall forecasted accums, that many forgot there 10" of snow is actually a very good storm! Two day total was 10.3" at DTW, 10.1" mby.

2640-800.jpg

2.) Feb 5th: When you expect clear skies and the day ends with an unforecast 4-5" of snow and your highest snow depth (16") in 12 years, its a VERY good day!

2653-800.jpg

3.) Feb 20th- Best thundersnow ever experienced, sky was lit up in pink, thunder was loud. What was better...the 7pm DTW hourly obs reading "Thunderstorms, Heavy Snow...visib 0.1 mile" or the fact that the forecasted 1-3" ended up as 10.2"? What a Feb, 31.8"!

2717-800.jpg

4.) Mar 11th- Just another ho-hum 4.5" of snow. This was a noteworthy event, however, in that it capped off a 39-day stretch where nearly 41" of snow fell. Yes, a whole seasons worth of snow in 5.5 weeks!

2805-800.jpg

5.) July 2nd: A severe storm slammed into metro-Detroit. The sky was the most eerie pink/orange color. I was at the Detroit Tigers game when the storm happened. 1-3" of rain soaked SE MI in an hour or two, along with damaging winds. The pic was taken well after sunset

2893-800.jpg

6.) July 21st- DTW officially hits 100F for the first time since 1995, and just the 33rd time since records began in 1870.

7.) July 29th- After 3.51" of rain fell in less than 24-hours on the 27/28th, another 0.92" falls, making it the 2nd wettest July on record (7.66", but 8.77" imby)

8.) Nov 27-30th: Well over 3" of precip soaked the region to end November (3.77" mby, 3.17" DTW), making it the wettest Nov on record with 6.00" officially but 6.94" imby

3001-800.jpg

9.) STAY TUNED...the race for wettest year on record is on. Detroit is in 2nd place, very close to 1st. Will update at end of year.

1. May 23rd.

2. May 25th.

3. July 21st-28th, specifically July 27th-28th.

4. The 4th hottest summer on record (tied ironically with 2010), the 3rd longest streak of consecutive 90*F+ days (7 days), the longest streak of 80*F+ days in history, hottest July on record, 1 official 100*F+ day and 2 near 100*F+ days (98*F and 99*F respectfully). This summer was also considerably more sunny than the previous.

The rest of the run-of-the-mill crap locally (summer and winter) is forgettable IMO.

1. May 23rd.

2. May 25th.

3. July 21st-28th, specifically July 27th-28th.

4. The 4th hottest summer on record (tied ironically with 2010), the 3rd longest streak of consecutive 90*F+ days (7 days), the longest streak of 80*F+ days in history, hottest July on record, 1 official 100*F+ day and 2 near 100*F+ days (98*F and 99*F respectfully). This summer was also considerably more sunny than the previous.

The rest of the run-of-the-mill crap locally (summer and winter) is forgettable IMO.

lol...shows you how its different strokes for different folks. I dont know how one of the snowiest months on record is run-of-the-mill, lol, but then again, I have NO idea what May 23 or May 25 is. Was it a bad storm iyby?

Though I should add to my post the seasonal accomplishments at Detroit are VERY impressive, when you consider records go back 141 years.

5th snowiest winter on record (69.1")

2nd wettest spring on record (14.60")

4th hottest summer on record

1st wettest fall on record (14.42")

Archived