joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ended up close to an inch here in south Norman, but lucked out with power (just like 2007). I guess that's why my child like love for ice storms hasn't faded yet... haven't had to endure the bad side. Beautiful scene out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

I was one of the lucky few back in 07 as well, it seems nearly the same amount of ice fell or in some locations a 1/4 to 1/3 less than 07 yet a fraction of people are out of power in the OKC/OUN area today vs. that storm.  I think a big part of that is OG&E having cut alot of limbs that were near power lines as well as the Darwin effect of many of the trees that could not hack it being taken out by the 07 storm, prior to that there had not been a real crippling ice storm in south OKC into Norman since 1987 so you had 20 years of newly developed areas with trees not necessarily cut out for the climate there being planted.

I was one of the lucky few back in 07 as well, it seems nearly the same amount of ice fell or in some locations a 1/4 to 1/3 less than 07 yet a fraction of people are out of power in the OKC/OUN area today vs. that storm.  I think a big part of that is OG&E having cut alot of limbs that were near power lines as well as the Darwin effect of many of the trees that could not hack it being taken out by the 07 storm, prior to that there had not been a real crippling ice storm in south OKC into Norman since 1987 so you had 20 years of newly developed areas with trees not necessarily cut out for the climate there being planted.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was saying to some people earlier. I think 2007 was catastrophic because it had been "too long" since the last big one, at least in OUN. I retraced some of the same areas I photographed the morning of 12/10/07 and the amounts on branches looked very similar today (the older neighborhoods W of the campus were predictably the worst off in terms of downed trees and branches), but the impacts are significantly less.

Of course, if we don't make it to 33-34 F this afternoon, then tonight could still be interesting with a slight bump in wind speeds. The wind has been practically calm through the event thus far, so between that and 2007, the metro has really been spared.

Around 14,000 folks around the Tulsa metro are without power! I went half a block down Lewis and there is no power for 2 miles: power lines down on the road in front of ORU and Walmart. That's why my lights have been flickering for about 2 hours now...still coming down pretty steady. Will we get any snow out of this?

I am not sure that it is going to hang on that long unless the low tracks more due east then initially anticipated. Looks like a dry slot moving in soon.

yeah it's coming to an end thankfully. Getting a little bit of wind makes all the trees groan. Doesn't look like it will get above freezing until Tuesday, yikes.

Growing power outages now in the Joplin area. Almost up to 3,000 with Empire Electric alone. I am reading on Facebook about massive outages in Pittsburg, KS, too. 

I was wondering about that precip down in OK, too, JoMo.

As the wind has picked up here, we are starting to see larger limbs crashing down.

Growing power outages now in the Joplin area. Almost up to 3,000 with Empire Electric alone. I am reading on Facebook about massive outages in Pittsburg, KS, too. 

I was wondering about that precip down in OK, too, JoMo.

As the wind has picked up here, we are starting to see larger limbs crashing down.

Yeah, my little cedar bush probably isn't going to make it as it's bent all the way over touching the ground. It was nicely decorated too. The HRRR indicates that the band of precip moving through Tulsa is the last band to move through this area except for maybe some light snow later tonight across mainly SE KS and SW MO. 

Ended up with a light dusting that stuck to all the trees which are ice covered. Once the sun comes up, it's going to be quite a winter wonderland on the trees.

Looking ahead...  The AO will go negative, the EPO will go negative.. the PNA will spike positive before it probably goes back negative. And the NAO may go negative or may be close to a neutral state. Maybe a system to watch near New Years?

Long range just looks plain cold after a brief moderation this week. Hope Santa brings me some extra blankets for Christmas!!! :)

Was just looking at that. Too bad I never got any snow to keep around with all the cold that will be here for the next 2 weeks. Hopefully an ice free system makes it through here in this cold. Not getting my hopes up though.

Long range just looks plain cold after a brief moderation this week. Hope Santa brings me some extra blankets for Christmas!!! :)

Yeah the 12z Euro Ensembles have a trough in the central/east in the long range. (D11-15)

This fits with what the teleconnections are heading towards.

Archived