Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weather and the Local Media

HSNN4

Hello Everyone....

I would like to know what your opinions are on your local broadcast weather caster, this can include the following, TV, Cable and Radio.

Even those outside the New York and Philly markets are good as well for those who watch weather and the super stations.

Here are my ratings for some of the best out there in the NYC / NJ Market.

Radio.

Allan Kasper - NJ101.5

I like to call Allan the voice of reason and if your up early enough between 4am and 5 am Allan gives some synoptic reasoning on the air of his thoughts on his forecast.

I like his take no prisoner approach but has lightened up a bit on that over the last few years.

TV.

Overall

Tom Skilling - WGN Chicago

Hands down the best TV Meteorologist I have ever watched hands down, He explains the weather and does not dumb it down and really seems to enjoy what he does, he is the real deal folks.

NYC Market

1 Nick Gregory - Fox 5

2 Craig Allan - Fox 5

3 Lee Goldberg - ABC 7

4 Bill Evans - ABC 7

5 John Marshall - WCBS 2 & Jeff Smith - ABC 7

Nothing on the cable side makes the list this includes News 12 NJ and The Weather Channel.

The Bolaris-Schwartz on-air war can be entertaining at times.

Lasty year, Adam Joseph had the balls to go 18-24" for the 2/10 event almost 48 hours out...and for most people that verified (PHL ended up with 15.8") while Schwartz was still saying 8-12" in Philly right up through the day before. Finally at 11pm as snow was already falling he raised it to 16-24".

I think I will try making 6abc my preferred station this winter - which I have never done before because of what's-his-face who didn't even know how to read a weather map, but it looks like Adam Joseph actually knows what he's doing.

The Bolaris-Schwartz on-air war can be entertaining at times.

Lasty year, Adam Joseph had the balls to go 18-24" for the 2/10 event almost 48 hours out...and for most people that verified (PHL ended up with 15.8") while Schwartz was still saying 8-12" in Philly right up through the day before. Finally at 11pm as snow was already falling he raised it to 16-24".

I think I will try making 6abc my preferred station this winter - which I have never done before because of what's-his-face who didn't even know how to read a weather map, but it looks like Adam Joseph actually knows what he's doing.

Technically if you take the mid point of each of their forecast ranges as the verification forecast for Philadelphia, their errors were nearly the same. The service assessment from the March Hyper Storm in 2001 as one of its bullet points was that most people latch onto to the highest forecast accumulation in any forecast range and ignore the rest, so in that regard Glenn would have "won". Just sayin...

Archived