Newest Member
    joxey
November 7-10th Storm

wisconsinwx

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Finally someone starts a thread.. Should be a good soaker for sure, maybe some first flakes for some as well.

IMO the whole superstition thing by some here has gone too far. It'll rain, snow, thunder, sleet whatever and whenever it ****** wants too regardless of when or WHO starts a thread on a weather forum.. [end rant]

ARX noted how the GFS is the weaker, SE outlier and that the other models are more inline with each other. The implication: more snow for the NW edge of the precip if the stronger, NW models verify. Guess for the heaviest amounts? Probably NW Kansas into SW and NE Nebraska, N Iowa, SE Minnesota into WC, NW and NC Wisconsin.

DSM-IOW-CID all get in on a nice looking snow band late tuesday night and into the overnight hours.

Even if the farther east NAM is right(vs the Euro) IOW-CID would only get a bit of snow. The 00z NAM is east of the 18z, but still keeps the best snow central to ne Iowa. That second part of the system is still a couple days away so the models will continue to adjust.

DVN mentioning the snow potential for their NW CWA...

TUESDAY NIGHT...RAIN TO MIX WITH AND CHANGE AT TIMES TO A WET SNOW AFTER

MIDNIGHT NW 1/4 SECTIONS. POTENTIAL FOR SLEET AS CHANGES TO SNOW IF

OCCLUSION WRAPS UP EVEN FASTER NW OF DBQ-CID LINE FOR LATER SHIFTS.

APPEARS NW OF DBQ-CID-TNU LINE COULD PICK UP HALF INCH OR MORE SNOW

ON EXPOSED OR GRASSY SURFACES INTO WEDNESDAY MORNING. AGAIN...IF

UPPER LOW DEEPENS FASTER THEN DEFORMATION ZONE COULD BE STRONGER AND

MAY ALLOW FOR SOME HIGHER SNOW AMOUNTS. THIS RISK IS MODERATE ATTM

AND SHOULD BE CLARIFIED NEXT 24 HOURS.

DSM AFD

EXPECTING RAIN TO CHANGE OVER TO SNOW PAST 00Z WEDNESDAY AND

INCREASE IN INTENSITY BY AROUND 03Z OR SHORTLY AFTER ACROSS NORTHERN

IOWA. IMPRESSIVE AMOUNT OF FORCING ALONG FROM 285K-305K ISENTROPIC

SURFACES THROUGHOUT THE DAY TOMORROW AND INTO TOMORROW NIGHT.

ONCE THE COLD AIR BEGINS TO FILTER INTO THE STATE...LOOKING LIKE A

3 TO 6 HOUR PERIOD OF GOOD DENDRITIC SNOWFALL BY 03Z WEDNESDAY

ACROSS WEST CENTRAL TO NORTH CENTRAL IOWA. MAX OMEGA IN THE SNOW

GROWTH SNOW ZONE IS GREATEST BY 06Z WEDNESDAY COMBINED WITH STRONG

FRONTOGENETICAL FORCING FROM 850MB TO 600MB. THIS SHOWS UP WELL ON

A NW-SE CROSS SECTION. GFS/NAM SUGGEST SOME WEAK INSTABILITY

PRESENT BY 06Z WEDNESDAY WHICH WOULD ONLY INTENSIFY THE SNOWFALL

RATES. ECMWF/GFS TRYING TO PLACE A WEAK TROWAL FEATURE INTO

NORTHERN IOWA WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND MATCHES UP WELL WITH THE

DEFORMATION ZONE. RIGHT NOW...HAVE A BAND OF 3-5 INCHES OVER

NORTHERN IOWA AND CANNOT RULE OUT SOME ISOLATED HIGHER AMOUNTS BY

WEDNESDAY MORNING. FOR NOW...CONFIDENT ENOUGH TO ISSUE A WINTER

STORM WATCH...ESPECIALLY WITH THIS BEING THE FIRST SNOW OF THE

SEASON AND BULK OF HEAVY SNOW OCCURRING AT NIGHT. ALSO...WINDS LOOK

STRONG BEHIND THE SHORTWAVE BY EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING AND MAY GET

SOME BLOWING/DRIFTING SNOW.

Definitely a tricky forecast for central Iowa into MN and WI. Low-level temps look pretty marginal overall, but the rest of the column looks pretty good. I think there will be areas that pick up some decent snow accumulations, but I don't think we'll see a widespread swath of heavy snow amounts. I think the NWS is on the right track with the relatively conservative amounts generally in the 3-5" range.

Interesting to note that the SREF mean has remained even more conservative than the NWS. It generally shows amounts staying sub 2" from Iowa into Wisconsin. Will be interesting to see how this all pans out over the next 24-42hrs...

SREF_SNOWFALL_MEAN12HR_f051.gif

I'd imagine Frankthetank/daddylonglegs is not happy right now.

My guess is LaCrosse gets a slushy inch or so of accumulation. They are on the SE edge of the band of snow, and that band may well tick NW from there. I think Mason City to Rochester to Eau Claire and then Land O' Lakes on northward get in on the heavier band of snow, probably 3-6 inches. SREFs probably too conservative, but the GFS and the NAM are probably too bullish, esp with temps barely below freezing, if that.

...SREFs probably too conservative, but the GFS and the NAM are probably too bullish, esp with temps barely below freezing, if that.

That's the thing that's sort of bugging me. I've kinda grown to trust the SREF mean over the last year or two once we get inside 48hrs. It may be on to something, who knows. This is such a marginal temp kind of situation there's going to be a very fine line between just a small covering to a heavy coating. Now that we're getting deeper into November you'd think a snowier scenario would be more likely, but the reservoir of cold air at the surface in which to tap into is somewhat limited. Temps north and northwest of the deformation band are forecast to be above 40 as the event unfolds. That means a lot of the cold that's needed to be achieved at the surface will have to come from dynamical cooling, which makes me feel a little uncomfortable when forecasting snow amounts lol.

As the day goes on tomorrow, especially later in the day we should hopefully get a better idea on how this will all play out as observations upstream are evaluated.

I'd imagine Frankthetank/daddylonglegs is not happy right now.

Where's he been anyways?

2+ inches being forecast for Madison, haven't seen that much rain in awhile. Temps are going to be around 40 the entire time so this is going to be a frigid cold rainstorm. There's some chance for a changeover to snow Wednesday just before the precip ends, but accumulation appears very unlikely.

Archived