joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 7-10th Storm

wisconsinwx

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very impressive shortwave moving into southwest Missouri now. Precip should really start to explode and fill in over the tri-state areas of IA/MO/IL over the next 3-6hrs. Much of this will eventually rotate northwestward into Iowa and develop that very impressive deformation zone that could dump 6"+ in places.

post-613-0-42024000-1320813994.gif

Waukesha's far enough away from the lake and Milwaukee that the early season mitigating effects against cooling are less of a factor. I think there's a very good chance you see a few snow showers on the back side. The 0z NAM just plasters SW Wisconsin, this thing keeps creeping closer to giving us accumulating snow. May not happen, but what snow does fall probably will hang around for a night with lows in the upper 20s tomorrow night.

The 850 temps look good in the afternoon tomorrow, at least for me. However, the 2m temps stay warm until well into the night.

going to be close tomorrow afternoon around here whether we see flakes or not.

Gonna be a close call. Based on the NAM it looks like you'll be able to support snow shortly before 21z as the 540 thicknesses/850s/925s all crash through your area. NAM simulated reflectivity shows the tail end of the deform just about to leave your area around that time. Skilling's RPM showed wet snow mixing in as far east as Chicago, so chances are you guys should see some mixed flakes just before it shuts off. Of course if the RGEM right not only will you not see any snow, we won't here either. Looks like it may be an outlier though, as it's the only model that's so stingy on snow coverage.

The 850 temps look good in the afternoon tomorrow, at least for me. However, the 2m temps stay warm until well into the night.

No doubt, the 850s are favorable for most of E Wisconsin tomorrow from 18z to 0z, and MKX just came out with an update saying there's a good chance of the rain changing to snow all the way to the lake, although amounts would remain under an inch in the eastern part of the CWA.

MKX added in "New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible " all the way to the lake in zone forecasts!thumbsupsmileyanim.gifSnowman.gif

No doubt, the 850s are favorable for most of E Wisconsin tomorrow from 18z to 0z, and MKX just came out with an update saying there's a good chance of the rain changing to snow all the way to the lake, although amounts would remain under an inch in the eastern part of the CWA.

thumbsupsmileyanim.gifSnowman.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Something I didn't really realize till now is just how strong the winds will be while the snow is falling. RUC, NAM and other models are showing 20-25kts sustained surface winds in the heart of the deformation zone. With winds just off the surface near 50kts, heavy precipitation falling, and a strengthening surface low just to the east it's possible there could be near blizzard conditions in isolated bands of heavier snow. Winds will likely be gusting between 35-40mph in this area. The snow will be very wet, so the lack of blowing snow on the ground will reduce that impact some. At the least the very strong winds combined with heavy snowfall intensity should make for some interesting conditions over eastern Iowa into Wisconsin tomorrow. :popcorn:

RUC_255_2011110904_F12_WSPD_10_M_ABOVE_GROUND.png

It'll be interesting to see how this evolves after about 3am. I get the feeling this heavier snow band just to my NW is gonna be hard to pin down until it evolves. Its really neat to see the switch-over is only occurring in the heaviest rates...of course its typical in this set up.

I can see a few spots coming out with a good 3-6 inches in a very narrow corridor from around Iowa City-Cedar Rapids-Prairie Du Chein-Stevens Point area. Question is though will the band be a more SSW-NNE band which could get it really close to the Quad City Metro or more SW-NE which keeps it largely out of my metro area.

Something I didn't really realize till now is just how strong the winds will be while the snow is falling. RUC, NAM and other models are showing 20-25kts sustained surface winds in the heart of the deformation zone. With winds just off the surface near 50kts, heavy precipitation falling, and a strengthening surface low just to the east it's possible there could be near blizzard conditions in isolated bands of heavier snow. Winds will likely be gusting between 35-40mph in this area. The snow will be very wet, so the lack of blowing snow on the ground will reduce that impact some. At the least the very strong winds combined with heavy snowfall intensity should make for some interesting conditions over eastern Iowa into Wisconsin tomorrow. :popcorn:

Oh ya, its gong to be ripping in the heart of the band for several hours.

...Question is though will the band be a more SSW-NNE band which could get it really close to the Quad City Metro or more SW-NE which keeps it largely out of my metro area.

Looks like it will be more SSW/NNE to me, but it looks like it will stall for several hours just northwest of the QC before quickly sweeping through late morning. Looks like we'll get a period of moderate to heavy rainfall later tonight followed by a dry slot intrusion as the deform sets up and stalls just west/northwest of the QC. It then looks like we'll get a quick burst of wet snow as the tail end of the deform swings through late morning/noonish. May come down good for a short while, but probably won't last long enough to give us more than a quick wet dusting before it shuts down. Not bad for November 9th though. :thumbsup:

I've been loving Wunderground this Fall so far, hopefully these free Euro maps are here to stay..

Yeah they really are nicely done. What an amazing difference between the free data from last year versus this year. The Euro maps on some of the free sites were extremely hard to read. Now here we're able to zoom in on stuff at a county level lmao. It sure would be great to have this last through the winter.

0600 AM SNOW DES MOINES INT AIRPORT 41.53N 93.66W

11/09/2011 M3.7 INCH POLK IA OFFICIAL NWS OBS

0450 AM SNOW 3 ESE ADEL 41.60N 93.98W

11/09/2011 M4.0 INCH DALLAS IA NWS EMPLOYEE

OFF DUTY NWS EMPLOYEE REPORTS 4 INCHES OF SNOW. NUMEROUS

BRANCHES DOWN AND POWER HAS BEEN OUT FOR SEVERAL HOURS.

0350 AM SNOW WINTERSET 41.34N 94.02W

11/09/2011 M6.4 INCH MADISON IA LAW ENFORCEMENT

MADISON COUNTY LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTS THE CITIES OF

MACKSBURG AND PATTERSON ARE NOW WITHOUT POWER. IN

WINTERSET AN OFFICERS CAR IS STUCK IN THE PARKING LOT AT

THE DISPATCH CENTER WHERE 6.4 INCHES OF SNOW WAS MEASURED

AN HOUR AGO. RETRANSMISSION OF EARLIER REPORT.

Archived