• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Oct 29th Snow Totals - post them here

Absolute Humidity

I had 3.4" in Martins Creek, right along the Delaware River. el. is 246'. I traveled to Easton Sunday, and did not see any significant changes in snow amounts. I do know that the higher elevation locales were, in some cases, significantly (several inches) more. I would conclude that areas along the Delaware from Easton to the Water Gap were <4", but just a few miles away and a couple hundred feet rise elevation resulted in higher snowfall amounts (see Boreal's previous post).

Interesting stuff. I think I need to take some time and study the elevation rises and falls up that way. Shocked I don't have a better handle on things as I've driven "countless" times in and out of NJ/PA using both I-78 and I-80. The one thing I can't forget on how its up, up and away from Stoudsburg to the Outlets in Tannersville, then bigtime elevation rises

near the 80/380 split.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mt. Holly map is off in Northampton. I ended up with over 11" in the 3-4 range. My 650' elevation helped though.

We only got about 3 reports from Northampton county. It looks like you did not submit your report, based on the above map. The map is a new one this season so adjustments will more than likely be made. The colors will probably be adjusted a few times at least. The more reports we get, the better detail will show up on the plotted map.

That is 2.0 inches and 1.7 inches right next to each other. One of the issues with the plotting of these types of maps. The actual analysis is correct though.

Thanks for the explanation Mike, I thought That number was a bit strange. Also just submitted storm report FWIW as Monmouth county reports from this event are rather sparse.

We only got about 3 reports from Northampton county. It looks like you did not submit your report, based on the above map. The map is a new one this season so adjustments will more than likely be made. The colors will probably be adjusted a few times at least. The more reports we get, the better detail will show up on the plotted map.

American needs to add "like" buttons to posts ;)

Nice map. Looks like southern York and Lanco. got hammered. Also 16" in Hereford looks pretty high. I guess it was on some elevation.

I drove into the Lehigh Valley from 15N to 81N to 78E on Sunday. The map is relatively accurate based on how much I saw on the ground the next day. As I crossed into PA from MD, snow depth increased markedly, trailed off somewhat and then got heavier in Harrisburg. Once on 78, the first 30 miles was light amounts until you got past Hamburg where ground cover increased a great deal. As you approached the western end of the LV, snow cover leapt up another magnitude. I ended up in Bethlehem, and can state that even though I wasn't there for the storm, the western and southern portions of the valley had substantially more snow than the northern and eastern parts. I'm not talking mountains, but valley locations mainly. I have friends in Palm, which is near Hereford. They live at lower elevations and got 7-8". Portions of Hereford are high up, and if Bear Creek got 14", I can believe someone within 3-4 miles of there (Hereford) got 16". Could the measurements be off by 2-3"? Sure. Does it matter? Not really. It was a difficult storm to measure since sloppy measuring methods with the high melt rates could give greater margin of error.

It was near Bear Creek (Huffs Church, which isn't more than a couple of miles away IIRC)

Also, Huffs Church base elevation is 771. Bear Creek ski resort has a base elevation of 660. Bear Creek has the highest peak at 1,100, but Huffs Church can't be far behind. It's a rugged hilly area, and I can believe they receive different weather than most on this board.

Also, Huffs Church base elevation is 771. Bear Creek ski resort has a base elevation of 660. Bear Creek has the highest peak at 1,100, but Huffs Church can't be far behind. It's a rugged hilly area, and I can believe they receive different weather than most on this board.

Yeah, that makes sense. Elevation meant everything with this one.

What was also noticed in my drive around Macungie yesterday was the marked increase of tree damage and power lines down along Church Rd and into State Highway into Mertztown. The eastern side o f Lehigh and eastern side of Berks got nailed on this storm. Sorry Mike, could not report in because of the power loss but I could verify that your map is pretty accurate. I would love to see a tree damage- power loss map on this storm matched up with the snow accumulation map. If done on a satellite imagery- would make a great paper for someone

Yeah, that makes sense. Elevation meant everything with this one.

Yup, I only have 15 acres of ground. At my house which is at 350' I had 4.5", while at the high point in my woods at 680' I had 7".

Mt. Holly map has me in the 7-8" band which is a good call since more of the area is closer to 680' than 350'.

About some of the elevations in eastern Berks co. The middle of Hereford township features a "nameless" 1100 foot hill. You can get near the top by road, but not quite. (it's near Hereford Gun club) This is frequently one of the winners in this area outside of Bear Creek. (it does well with the "near miss" storms that pass us by the the south and east compared to the hills further west) There is one over 1000 feet just south of it, it's probably like 1060+ because it looks higher from many angles... A couple miles west of Huffs Church on Huffs Church road, you can get to about 1150 feet by road, and if you are facing east can see Maycock mountain way over in upper Bucks Co. on a nice day. (this hill is near a VERY large tower of some sorts on what seems to be the second highest hill in this range) Topton Mountain is the highest in this part of the "range" (Reading Prong) at about 1250'. It has power lines going over it and seemingly no way to get to the top, no roads pass anywhere near the top and it's apparently private property? Macungie mountain is a long ridge that tops 1000' in many places. Further east or west on the ridge you bounce between about 780-980'. Huffs church features a hill that goes to about 1k.......it's on a farmers property. I used to hunt there as a teenager. The ridges between Huffs Church and Bear Creek easily go over 1k also......I suspect the measurement was along there somewhere. (the 16") I live at 900' and got about 13 or 14".........I can easily see another 200 feet getting to 16" with this storm.

The changeover happened so quickly with this storm, I think the difference between valley and hill was LESS then I've seen with other storms. (perhaps 1 in every 2-3 winters features a storm that really delivers up here compared to the valley, otherwise it's maybe an extra inch or two here and there.) Oddly, I've noticed an unmistakeable "reverse orthographic" effect with these hills commuting to Allentown daily, and frequently traveling down the south/east side of these hills. If storm just grazes us from the south/east, there is almost always a sharp cutoff on the north/west side of the hills......this impresses me more then the marginal temp storms! (it might only be about 3" on average on these orthographic type of cutoffs, but I had always thought these hills were too small for that, apparently not!

About some of the elevations in eastern Berks co. The middle of Hereford township features a "nameless" 1100 foot hill. You can get near the top by road, but not quite. (it's near Hereford Gun club) This is frequently one of the winners in this area outside of Bear Creek. (it does well with the "near miss" storms that pass us by the the south and east compared to the hills further west) There is one over 1000 feet just south of it, it's probably like 1060+ because it looks higher from many angles... A couple miles west of Huffs Church on Huffs Church road, you can get to about 1150 feet by road, and if you are facing east can see Maycock mountain way over in upper Bucks Co. on a nice day. (this hill is near a VERY large tower of some sorts on what seems to be the second highest hill in this range) Topton Mountain is the highest in this part of the "range" (Reading Prong) at about 1250'. It has power lines going over it and seemingly no way to get to the top, no roads pass anywhere near the top and it's apparently private property? Macungie mountain is a long ridge that tops 1000' in many places. Further east or west on the ridge you bounce between about 780-980'. Huffs church features a hill that goes to about 1k.......it's on a farmers property. I used to hunt there as a teenager. The ridges between Huffs Church and Bear Creek easily go over 1k also......I suspect the measurement was along there somewhere. (the 16") I live at 900' and got about 13 or 14".........I can easily see another 200 feet getting to 16" with this storm.

The changeover happened so quickly with this storm, I think the difference between valley and hill was LESS then I've seen with other storms. (perhaps 1 in every 2-3 winters features a storm that really delivers up here compared to the valley, otherwise it's maybe an extra inch or two here and there.) Oddly, I've noticed an unmistakeable "reverse orthographic" effect with these hills commuting to Allentown daily, and frequently traveling down the south/east side of these hills. If storm just grazes us from the south/east, there is almost always a sharp cutoff on the north/west side of the hills......this impresses me more then the marginal temp storms! (it might only be about 3" on average on these orthographic type of cutoffs, but I had always thought these hills were too small for that, apparently not!

Nice explanation. What I always found neat was the temp change in the summer during the early evening where the temps could be 10 degrees different from Macungie in the Huffs Church and Macungie Mt area

Always felt good to take a drive around there during hot days

Here's a nice map the NJ State Climatologist Office (I'm sure mgerb had a big hand in it) put out... its NJ centric.

Ray,

That 16" blob over eastern PA is misplaced I believe. It should be located over far sw Lehigh and adjacent section of Berks. Almost where Montco meets up. This map has it located over Northhampton county.

Neighbor here in East Nantmeal measured 10"...there was still 8" in spots when I got back here on Monday PM...elevations running between 660 and 775 across the township

Yup, I only have 15 acres of ground. At my house which is at 350' I had 4.5", while at the high point in my woods at 680' I had 7".

Mt. Holly map has me in the 7-8" band which is a good call since more of the area is closer to 680' than 350'.

Archived