• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
10/29 Snowloween -- Thread 1

phlwx

10 now giving the burbs a seven inch range. Should've just gone for broke with 1-12 to cover all bases. weight_lift.gif

post-105-0-36901400-1319885523.gif

post-105-0-39494800-1319885515.gif

Although you/I would know...the 3 is closer to Philly...10 to Allentown (NW). It is silly because many people wouldn't know. 3-10 WTF? They had 2-6 yesterday as well...never heard either of those ranges before.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although you/I would know...the 3 is closer to Philly...10 to Allentown (NW). It is silly because many people wouldn't know. 3-10 WTF? They had 2-6 yesterday as well...never heard either of those ranges before.

IMO, if it were me making that map I would have split the 3-10 in half...go 5-10 in the LV/Berks corridor, 3-6 (or 2-5) for Bucks/Montco/Chesco...or at least write/say 3" lower els up to 10" hills...that at least covers things a bit more easily...

But yeah, most of us would know the idea with that map but an average schmo out there watching the news this morning is thinking that Montgomeryville is going to end up with 10" of snow.

Sparta, NW NJ 7AM

Temp 39

DP 30

Wind: Light & Variable

Looks like light precip should arrive within an hour or so. In what form will be interesting. Suspect rain or rain snow for areas at or below ~800' with the opposite true above 800'. Then it will be a matter of how quickly a transition to all snow occurs as intensity increases towards midday and more so this afternoon. Thinking for my area is ~5-12" with 12"+ possible in some spots in the highest terrian over 1200'. Elevation will play a big role but also placement of heaviest banding later this afternoon and into this evening will also be very important. If high terrian and heavy banding merge well later 12"+ is likely a sure thing in those areas.

IMO, if it were me making that map I would have split the 3-10 in half...go 5-10 in the LV/Berks corridor, 3-6 (or 2-5) for Bucks/Montco/Chesco...or at least write/say 3" lower els up to 10" hills...that at least covers things a bit more easily...

But yeah, most of us would know the idea with that map but an average schmo out there watching the news this morning is thinking that Montgomeryville is going to end up with 10" of snow.

Yep.

lol..my parents would think that but they're in their 70's.

To follow up on this: Do you know if Glenn creates/approves all maps first? Or whoever the on air Met is...Bill, Dave etc?

To follow up on this: Do you know if Glenn creates/approves all maps first? Or whoever the on air Met is...Bill, Dave etc?

I know that most stations coordinate with their chief (or their "brains" on staff) to keep the forecasts relatively consistent or tweaked as needed. I would think it's probably based a bit more on who has the next shift on air and their comfort level (or competency level as a forecaster). I can't remember many times when a snow map hasn't started with one of the chiefs (Kathy, Glenn, Rob G when he was on 29, John B.) unless it was a Sunday storm or a holiday storm (12/26 last year...and in that storm you saw the huge difference in forecasts between 3, 6, and 10 yikes.png)

Looks to be moving from west to east though. got silver dollars coming down here in Frederick. It may tak a while to get to philly burbs.

no doubt...just good to see the heavier precip mixing down the frozen precip even with dewpoints still just above freezing right at the surface...glad to not peek into your forum right now and not see a bunch of "bust" posts...don't worry we'll make up the difference :rolleyes:

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 2277

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0636 AM CDT SAT OCT 29 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS NERN WV...SERN NY...NWRN MD INCLUDING

PANHANDLE...CENTRAL/ERN PA...NWRN NJ...EXTREME NRN VA.

CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW

VALID 291136Z - 291700Z

PRIND HEAVIEST SNOW RATES THROUGH 18Z...AND MOST SUSTAINED AT 1-2

INCHES/HOUR...WILL BE OVER AND W OF BLUE RIDGE FROM NERN WV AND VA

BORDER REGION NEWD ACROSS NWRN MD TO S-CENTRAL PA...SHIFTING NEWD

ACROSS NERN PA INTO INTERIOR SERN NY BY ABOUT 18Z. RAIN SHOULD

BECOME SNOW OVER PORTIONS CENTRAL-ERN PA THROUGH 16Z. ISOLATED

CONVECTIVE BURSTS ALSO ARE POSSIBLE ALONG THAT PORTION OF RAIN/SNOW

MIX ZONE FROM NRN VA TO SERN PA AND EVENTUALLY NWRN NJ.

CONCENTRATION OF HEAVY SNOW POTENTIAL ACROSS DISCUSSION AREA WILL BE

RELATED TO SEVERAL JUXTAPOSED REGIMES OF LIFT AND INSTABILITY.

THESE INCLUDE...FROM TOP TO BOTTOM OF TROPOSPHERE...

-- STRENGTHENING/NEWD-MOVING UPPER DIVERGENCE AS STG SHORTWAVE

TROUGH...NOW EVIDENT IN MOISTURE CHANNEL IMAGERY OVER PORTIONS

IL/INDIANA/WRN KY/TN...APCHS AREA WITH MORE NEGATIVE TILT.

ASSOCIATED BAROCLINIC-LEAF SIGNATURE HAS BECOME VERY WELL-DEFINED

WITH COOLING IR CLOUD TOPS ACROSS NRN WV AND WRN PA DURING PAST 2-3

HOURS.

-- MIDLEVEL DCVA PRECEDING THAT TROUGH.

-- NARROW SW-NE ALIGNED RIBBONS OF MIDLEVEL CONDITIONAL SYMMETRIC

INSTABILITY SUPPORTING SLANTWISE CAPE UP TO ABOUT 200 J/KG.

-- LOW-MIDDLE LEVEL FRONTOGENETIC FORCING...ESPECIALLY STRONG 15-18Z

OVER S-CENTRAL THROUGH NERN PA AND INTERIOR SERN NY PER SREF

GUIDANCE.

-- ZONE OF ELEVATED CONVECTIVE INSTABILITY IN LOW-MIDDLE

LEVELS...INVOF RAIN/SNOW TRANSITON ZONE...SUPPORTING 100-300 J/KG

ELEVATED MUCAPE OVER ERN FRINGES OF DISCUSSION AREA THAT IN TURN CAN

ENABLE CONVECTIVELY AIDED SNOW BURSTS WITH OCNL THUNDER.

MODIFIED 6Z RNK/DCA RAOBS AND MODEL SOUNDINGS SUGGEST

NEAR-SATURATION IN LOW LEVELS...PRECLUDING APPRECIABLE WET-BULB

COOLING. HOWEVER...COLUMNAR DYNAMIC COOLING SHOULD OFFSET WAA IN

ELEVATED CONVEYOR ENOUGH TO YIELD DOMINANT PRECIP TYPE AS SNOW OVER

APPALACHIANS.

..EDWARDS.. 10/29/2011

ALL: To make life slightly easier for this guy... esp if no town associated with your ID...pls list your town and we like the Albrightsville Carbon cty rep of .5 on snow board etc... let us know the road depth vs grass if you can. also, when power outages begin. much thanks, Walt

I know that most stations coordinate with their chief (or their "brains" on staff) to keep the forecasts relatively consistent or tweaked as needed. I would think it's probably based a bit more on who has the next shift on air and their comfort level (or competency level as a forecaster). I can't remember many times when a snow map hasn't started with one of the chiefs (Kathy, Glenn, Rob G when he was on 29, John B.) unless it was a Sunday storm or a holiday storm (12/26 last year...and in that storm you saw the huge difference in forecasts between 3, 6, and 10 yikes.png)

That's kinda what I thought, By the way who's chief on Ch 6...Ceciley? Adam Joesph?....don't tell me David Murphy. For some reason I don't watch 6 often...btw dropped 2.5 deg in 2 hours in Horsham...I think we'll go over to snow earlier than expected.

Archived