Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Lake Effect Ongoing Discussion

peteo

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My earlier post:

The latest mesos show the heaviest portions JUST to the south of the city proper, however, I believe this to be too far south....sounds homerish, and a little "stupid" due to last week a similar scenario in model world played out and verification came in further SW than the mesos had show 18 hours in advance.

The connection will be strong to Geo Bay, and when that scenario plays out, the band tends to "pull across" L. Ontario a bit more (ie not as much "cyclonic curve"), and that generally translates to a further NE placement to the most intense part of the band. I think the city itself, and maybe into the airport where the stats are kept, will be pounded. I also note that the s/w dropping around our gyre looks stronger than the models are progging it to be (winds are backing ahead of it pretty good).

Look for the NAM based mesos to catch on to my though over the next couple runs.

If your saying that black hole needs to move 10-15 miles north then i'm gonna be close to the jackpot then with heavy snow. I'm in the extreme southwest corner of oswego county in Hannibal and i would love to pick up a nice 12'+ bring it on.

Like clockwork, (only one of the 12z meso's have come in, but they generally follow tightly together) the main axis of max qpf in the band has shifted northward in:

06z run (previous):

06mesonam.gif

12z run (current):

12mesonam.gif

Continue to get pounded with lake effect in western Onondaga County. Left Syracuse at 5 pm yesterday with just a few inches on the car from all day yesterday. So, was quite surprised to find 12" in my driveway, and another 6" overnight last night, and if meso is ciorrect, it looks kind of crazy for this afternoon and tonight. Radar is just beginning to pick up those yellows again. Looks like more roof clearing in my future.

LES Advisory up for Niagara frontier :thumbsup:

updated AFD from NWS “SATURDAY ALSO LOOK QUIET…ALTHOUGH LOW LEVEL FLOW

TURNS SOUTHWEST AS A WEAK TROUGH APPROACHES FROM THE UPPER LAKES. AT

FIRST GLANCE IT LOOKS LIKE CLEAR SAILING WITH PARTLY CLOUDY SKIES AND

TEMPS IN SEASONABLE L30S…BUT CANT TOTALLY RULE OUT A BIT OF LAKE RESPONSE

NE OF THE LAKES WITH DECENT MOISTURE…LITTLE SHEAR AND 850 MB TEMPS

OF -9C OR SO. NAM12 ACTUALLY BRINGS SOME ACCUM INTO BUF AND

ART…BUT WITH SNOW GROWTH PARAMETERS UNFAVORABLE…WILL DOWNPLAY

AND JUST CARRY LOW CHC POPS FOR SAT BUT WILL NEED TO KEEP AN EYE ON

IT AS THESE VERY SUBTLE THINGS CAN SURPRISE US.”

“FIRST THOUGH…WE WILL BE KEEPING AN EYE ON THE NEXT SFC LOW WHICH

WILL LIFT UP OFF THE MID ATLANTIC COAST AND EVENTUALLY BOMB OUT OFF

NEW ENG LATER SUNDAY INTO EARLY MONDAY. MODELS CONTINUE TO DISAGREE

ON HOW CLOSE TO THE COAST THIS STORM WILL BE…WITH GFS/GEM HOLDING

IT CLOSE AND GIVING EASTERN NEW ENG HEAVY SNOW…WHICH IN TURN WOULD

LEAVE A RIDGE OVER OUR REGION…LEAVING US TOTALLY DRY WITH SEASONABLE

TEMPS. 12Z ECMWF ON THE OTHER HAND TAKES THE STORM FURTHER EAST…JUST

BRUSHING NEW ENG AND ALLOWING A TROUGH TO DROP INTO THE UPPER

LAKES…WHICH IN TURN COULD SET OFF SOME LIMITED LAKE SNOWS AGAIN

FOR US LATER SUN/SUN NT ON A W-SW FLOW. TEMPS WOULD STILL BE MARGINAL

THOUGH…SO FOR NOW WILL HOLD POPS AT 20 SUNDAY AND MONDAY WITH 850

MB TEMPS OF -10C TO -12C SUPPORTING U20S/NR 30…STILL A BIT BELOW

NORMAL.”

:snowman:

Very interesting AFD from BUF this afternoon. A couple things stand out for me in terms of how bottled up this current pattern is with the high latitude blocking:

* We have a LES advisory up in N Erie county for a lake effect snow band expected to lift north from the southern tier/ski country on a northwest wind. Wierd...

* The flow by early next week is forecast to be from the N/NW, which will of course result in a warming trend. Wierder....

Very interesting AFD from BUF this afternoon. A couple things stand out for me in terms of how bottled up this current pattern is with the high latitude blocking:

* We have a LES advisory up in N Erie county for a lake effect snow band expected to lift north from the southern tier/ski country on a northwest wind. Wierd...

* The flow by early next week is forecast to be from the N/NW, which will of course result in a warming trend. Wierder....

lol thank la nina :snowman::scooter:

Hoping that some hints of lake effect make it down the Mohawk Valley and get in to the Capital District tonight and tomorrow morning. Looks like we could get an inch or so :thumbsup:. We're struggling this year so far with just .5" on the ground right now. So my kids are itching to get out the new snowshoes and x/c skis this weekend. Can you guys recommend a nice hilly state park or wilderness area out in central New York that is about 2 hours from Albany where we could play this weekend....somewhere that's should get pounded with LES this week? Normally I would go to the Western DAKS, but you guys seem to be raking it in.

5" last 2 hours....not including this in total for "this" event....I have 16" since Monday night.....12" of that today....before this latest insane blast!! Keep 'er coming!! The airport will be over 70" by the end of tomorrow, I'm sure of it.....Can't remember such a wintery autum!!!! :thumbsup::snowman: Still snowing at around 2"/hr....

5" last 2 hours....not including this in total for "this" event....I have 16" since Monday night.....12" of that today....before this latest insane blast!! Keep 'er coming!! The airport will be over 70" by the end of tomorrow, I'm sure of it.....Can't remember such a wintery autum!!!! :thumbsup::snowman: Still snowing at around 2"/hr....

George...this is SYRMAX....took a break for a while to concentrate on stock trading for a while...new nick but I'm baaaack. Nice week or so of snow. eh? 11" IMBY at 7pm...just snowblowed...another 1-2 already back on. Unreal.

George...this is SYRMAX....took a break for a while to concentrate on stock trading for a while...new nick but I'm baaaack. Nice week or so of snow. eh? 11" IMBY at 7pm...just snowblowed...another 1-2 already back on. Unreal.

Brian!!!!!!! Missed you bud....I would say I hope your stock endeavors have done you well, but I'm sure they did!

Getting pounded here!! Feels like Parish!! New statement by NWS BGM:

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

913 PM EST WED DEC 15 2010

NYZ018-036-044-045-160345-

CHENANGO NY-CORTLAND NY-MADISON NY-ONONDAGA NY-

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND PRODUCING HEAVY SNOWFALL ACROSS THE AREA...

* AT 908 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

MODERATE TO HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND ACROSS PARTS OF CHENANGO...

NORTHEASTERN CORTLAND...ONONDAGA AND WESTERN MADISON COUNTIES.

SNOWFALL RATES IN THE BAND WILL BE 1 TO 2 INCHES AN HOUR. THE

HEAVIEST SNOWFALL WILL REMAIN ACROSS THE SYRACUSE METRO AREA.

* LOCATIONS THAT WILL BE EFFECTED BY THE SNOW BANDS INCLUDE

BALDWINSVILLE...BRIDGEPORT...CAZENOVIA...CHITTENANGO...CICERO...

CLAY...DE WITT...FAIRMOUNT...LA FAYETTE...LIVERPOOL...MANLIUS...

NEDROW...NORWICH...OTSELIC...OXFORD...SHERBURNE...SULLIVAN AND

SYRACUSE.

ROADS MAY BECOME HAZARDOUS AND SLIPPERY. SLOW DOWN AND ALLOW EXTRA

TIME TO REACH YOUR DESTINATION.

Brian!!!!!!! Missed you bud....I would say I hope your stock endeavors have done you well, but I'm sure they did!

Getting pounded here!! Feels like Parish!! New statement by NWS BGM:

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

NYZ018-036-044-045-160345-

CHENANGO NY-CORTLAND NY-MADISON NY-ONONDAGA NY-

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND PRODUCING HEAVY SNOWFALL ACROSS THE AREA...

* AT 908 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

MODERATE TO HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND ACROSS PARTS OF CHENANGO...

NORTHEASTERN CORTLAND...ONONDAGA AND WESTERN MADISON COUNTIES.

SNOWFALL RATES IN THE BAND WILL BE 1 TO 2 INCHES AN HOUR. THE

HEAVIEST SNOWFALL WILL REMAIN ACROSS THE SYRACUSE METRO AREA.

* LOCATIONS THAT WILL BE EFFECTED BY THE SNOW BANDS INCLUDE

BALDWINSVILLE...BRIDGEPORT...CAZENOVIA...CHITTENANGO...CICERO...

CLAY...DE WITT...FAIRMOUNT...LA FAYETTE...LIVERPOOL...MANLIUS...

NEDROW...NORWICH...OTSELIC...OXFORD...SHERBURNE...SULLIVAN AND

SYRACUSE.

ROADS MAY BECOME HAZARDOUS AND SLIPPERY. SLOW DOWN AND ALLOW EXTRA

TIME TO REACH YOUR DESTINATION.

Good to be back...NWS radar really isn't doing this justice...as usual WSYR9 radar much better locally. And LOL at BGM's radar being toast during the epic event last week. Murphy's Law proven again. I think I just passed 70" for the "season"....and its not even winter yet. Who'da thunk it? I measured 52" cumulative during last weeks Festivus. Nice discussion on the lake bands being distorted by the flow along the lake - you're one of the few I've read that knows the tendencies of some of the meso phenomena associated w/ L.Ontario LES. KBGM also has a few interesting LES studies that I've looked at over the years, discussing convergence phenomena east & SE of the lake.

Speaking of WSYR's website. What's wrong w/ it...the radar displays are all shifted to the right on the webpage and its AFU looking. I'm on a Mac but even the windows PC side has the same effect. Anyone else experience this?

Good to be back...NWS radar really isn't doing this justice...as usual WSYR9 radar much better locally. And LOL at BGM's radar being toast during the epic event last week. Murphy's Law proven again. I think I just passed 70" for the "season"....and its not even winter yet. Who'da thunk it? I measured 52" cumulative during last weeks Festivus. Nice discussion on the lake bands being distorted by the flow along the lake - you're one of the few I've read that knows the tendencies of some of the meso phenomena associated w/ L.Ontario LES. KBGM also has a few interesting LES studies that I've looked at over the years, discussing convergence phenomena east & SE of the lake.

Speaking of WSYR's website. What's wrong w/ it...the radar displays are all shifted to the right on the webpage and its AFU looking. I'm on a Mac but even the windows PC side has the same effect. Anyone else experience this?

No issues here....looks fine...lots of yellow and some orange!!! :thumbsup:

3/4 inch fluff has been deposited on me ...120 miles from the lake. I accept it of course. :) The next 36 hours could be decent here with that current fetch. Sometimes it will sink south of me and sometimes back in here. This far from the lake it is as if the bands kind of undulate in the wind.

[speaking of WSYR's website. What's wrong w/ it...the radar displays are all shifted to the right on the webpage and its AFU looking. I'm on a Mac but even the windows PC side has the same effect. Anyone else experience this?

Sometimes I can't link to the WSYR radar from the home page. But, have more luck if I go to their weather page and scroll down to their radars. Went out with the family this afternoon to cut down our christmas tree out of the back yard in one heck of a whiteout. Tough work hauling the tree through the field with snow up to my waist:)

Looks like I will pick up about an inch tonight...and maybe 6-8 inches tomorrow.

Yeah, looks that way. Models have really been struggling in the latter portions of the run, due to the mother models having issues with the splitting/movement of the big h500 UL over the northeast/S. Canada. Good luck! Could be a bigger event than you think!

[speaking of WSYR's website. What's wrong w/ it...the radar displays are all shifted to the right on the webpage and its AFU looking. I'm on a Mac but even the windows PC side has the same effect. Anyone else experience this?

Sometimes I can't link to the WSYR radar from the home page. But, have more luck if I go to their weather page and scroll down to their radars. Went out with the family this afternoon to cut down our christmas tree out of the back yard in one heck of a whiteout. Tough work hauling the tree through the field with snow up to my waist:)

Nice! I always wait for a snow chance to get our tree....not sure 2-3"/hr. is "off the wall fun" but a nice picturesque snow makes for a nice family memory!

Archived