Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Lake Effect Ongoing Discussion

peteo

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somewhere around 24 inches in Amherst. The city is at like 30-36 inches and places like West Seneca are at close to 50 inches for the month. West Senecas getting smacked right now. My girlfriend says its a complete whiteout and theres at least 6 inches.

msdpo2.jpg Heavy snow moving in :snowman:

Just steady moderate snow. It's lightened up for the time being.

NWS is now calling for 12-18 inch "1000 AM UPDATE…HAVE MADE ONLY MINOR CHANGES TO POSITION OF LAKE

PLUME ACROSS WESTERN NY WITH THE UPSTREAM CONNECTION TO GEORGIAN

BAY. KING CITY RADAR NORTH OF TORONTO SHOWS A BROAD AREA OFF

GEORGIAN BAY NARROWING AND FOCUSING ON THE NIAGARA PENINSULA AND

INLAND TO WESTERN NY. HIGHER RESOLUTION MODELS…WRF AND HRRR…ARE

SHOWING A SLOW SHIFT TO THE NORTH DURING THE AFTERNOON WHICH WILL

BRING THE BAND OVER BOTH BUFFALO AND NIAGARA FALLS. ALSO EXPECT SOME

INTENSIFICATION AFTER SUNSET WHICH WILL BRING HEAVIER SNOW TO THE

BUF/IAG AREA LATE IN THE DAY AND DURING THE EVENING. MADE ONLY A

SLIGHT ADJUSTMENT TO THE POSITION OF THE PLUME SO WE CAN STILL

EXPECT THE POPULATION CENTER OF WESTERN NY TO BE STRONGLY AFFECTED

WITH PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW THROUGH THE REST OF THE DAY THROUGH EARLY

TONIGHT. HEAVIER SNOW SHOULD ALSO ENTER THE SOUTHWESTERN CORNER OF

THE STATE EARLY TONIGHT AS THE PLUME FROM LAKE HURON LIFTS ACROSS

NORTHWEST PA INTO CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.”:popcorn:

I was able to get out during lunch for some snowshoeing behind my office. Snow was falling 1-2"/hour while I was out.

Looks like another band is forming just to the west of the current one and its affecting the immediate downtown-west side area :thumbsup::snowman: almost 9 inches at my house.

I hate to do this, but BUF just updated their point and click forecasts and this is mine:

Tonight: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 14. Wind chill values as low as -2. Northwest wind between 11 and 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.

Wednesday: Snow showers. High near 22. Wind chill values as low as zero. Blustery, with a northwest wind between 16 and 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=42.10433598038485&lon=-79.33021545410156&site=buf&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

In Clymer (far SW corner):

Tonight: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 11. Wind chill values as low as -4. Northwest wind between 15 and 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches possible.

Wednesday: Snow showers. High near 20. Wind chill values as low as -4. Blustery, with a northwest wind between 17 and 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=42.02583375568838&lon=-79.64607238769531&site=buf&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

Nice!

how far north is that band expected? I'm heading down to OP later on :guitar:

Not that far north. I'm worried about it not making even to here and having it stay closer to Sherman (or deciding that it wants to visit its friends in Randolph again :gun_bandana: ). 12z NAM simulated radar was bringing it up through the metro area late tomorrow evening.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/nam/12znamreflectivity_NELoop.html

Not that far north. I'm worried about it not making even to here and having it stay closer to Sherman (or deciding that it wants to visit its friends in Randolph again :gun_bandana: ). 12z NAM simulated radar was bringing it up through the metro area late tomorrow evening.

http://raleighwx.ame...ity_NELoop.html

this georgian bay band is really impressive,heavy snow near the west side atm :guitar:mcdla9.jpg

A fresh 5 inches in my driveway since this morning. The band currently moving through N Erie county is very impressive. Snowfall rates easily at 2"/hour, vis down below 100 feet at times. BUF did a nice job with this one for my area. Not common at all to get this kind of snow in the northtowns on a NW flow, but BUF issued a LES warning with plenty of lead time.

A fresh 5 inches in my driveway since this morning. The band currently moving through N Erie county is very impressive. Snowfall rates easily at 2"/hour, vis down below 100 feet at times. BUF did a nice job with this one for my area. Not common at all to get this kind of snow in the northtowns on a NW flow, but BUF issued a LES warning with plenty of lead time.

They should have come out of the gates with it, climatology shows time and time again that the Niagara Frontier gets blown out on these retrograding lows.

Jus' Saying...

They should have come out of the gates with it, climatology shows time and time again that the Niagara Frontier gets blown out on these retrograding lows.

Jus' Saying...

I don't think this setup is very common in the overall scheme of things...but it is interesting that both events so far this month as well as the mega-event last January featured an intense Georgian Bay streamer in Erie and Niagara Counties. It looks like another GB streamer may impact some of the same areas late tomorrow, but it looks more transient compared to what occurred today:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/html/4kmwrf/index.php

Exciting times coming here SE of Ontario and Erie this afternoon and evening!! I'll let the western NY folks mount the LES horse for this surge in the ongoing event, but over here off Ontario, successive meso runs both NAM and GFS based have shown a high confidence, intense event for areas in and around the SYR metro, and extending NNW and SSE from there.

The latest mesos show the heaviest portions JUST to the south of the city proper, however, I believe this to be too far south....sounds homerish, and a little "stupid" due to last week a similar scenario in model world played out and verification came in further SW than the mesos had show 18 hours in advance.

The connection will be strong to Geo Bay, and when that scenario plays out, the band tends to "pull across" L. Ontario a bit more (ie not as much "cyclonic curve"), and that generally translates to a further NE placement to the most intense part of the band. I think the city itself, and maybe into the airport where the stats are kept, will be pounded. I also note that the s/w dropping around our gyre looks stronger than the models are progging it to be (winds are backing ahead of it pretty good).

Look for the NAM based mesos to catch on to my though over the next couple runs. Right now, the absurd 36 hour total max is:

(I "Imageshacked it" for posterity, and later comparisons)

06mesonam.gif

IMHO, the "black hole" of max. insane 1.9 qpf (though that is going to come in much lower) will be shifted northward by 10-15 miles. Looking for near 18 inches + from late afternoon through tomorrow morning at the max location, and probably that again (a bit further north...), tomorrow into tomorrow night.

More later.....

Archived