joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Lake Effect Ongoing Discussion

peteo

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both the Huron band and the Geo. Bay band have now connected to the Ontario band. There has been an "explosion" over central L. Ontario over the last 30 minutes, and immediately the band off the lake has intensified and consolidated. It will move northward and be extreme over the next several hours.

Beautiful looking band right now for you CNY guys. Looks like my hometown of Weedsport is in the crosshairs at the moment. I'm impressed with how wide the band is right now - looks like 1"+/hr snow is covering over 2/3rds of Cayuga County.

Both the Huron band and the Geo. Bay band have now connected to the Ontario band. There has been an "explosion" over central L. Ontario over the last 30 minutes, and immediately the band off the lake has intensified and consolidated. It will move northward and be extreme over the next several hours.

noticed the consolidation...the western part of it over L.O. appears to be trying to reorient. We need it to move northward just a bit - we haven't had enough snow here this month. arrowheadsmiley.png

noticed the consolidation...the western part of it over L.O. appears to be trying to reorient. We need it to move northward just a bit - we haven't had enough snow here this month. arrowheadsmiley.png

I was hoping the airport would get 20" from this, then a shot from the coastal (or what was supposed to be a few days back) to get us over 100" for the month....but we'll fall short.....but hey, I hear when winter starts, we can get snow in that season too!! :arrowhead:

I was hoping the airport would get 20" from this, then a shot from the coastal (or what was supposed to be a few days back) to get us over 100" for the month....but we'll fall short.....but hey, I hear when winter starts, we can get snow in that season too!! :arrowhead:

I just commented in the other thread in here - weekend system looks like a no go for everyone - per 00Z GFS (and 12Z Euro). Maybe Cape Cod gets clipped but that appears to be it. Seems to me that models were projecting the system to recurve into the Maritimes and NW into QUE -- not seeing that on this run. GFS shows nada synoptic systems for the entire run for us - which IMO means we'll get clocked, maybe more than once. It's just not going to happen in the next 5-6 days.

I think in the next hr we will see this band reorient....

George - latest KBGM AFD update....i sent them a spotter report of 11", seems like we're not outliers. I like what I'm reading:

IN GENERAL...THE FCST IS IN GOOD SHAPE FOR BAND PLACEMENT ANDMOVEMENT TRENDS...WITH A GRADUAL SHIFT OF THE MAIN BANDS MORE TOTHE NORTH AND EAST ORIENTATION LATER TONIGHT AND THURSDAY MORNINGAS DEPICTED BY NAM12/RUC AND OTHER LOCAL MESOSCALE MODELS. GIVENEARLIER REPORTS...HAVE HAD TO BUMP UP THE PAST SNOWFALL GRIDS INORDER TO RAISE THE STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL AMTS THROUGH 18Z THURSDAY.FOR THE OVERNIGHT PERIOD WE STILL THINK AN ADDITIONAL 6-10 INCHESIS REPRESENTATIVE WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WHERE THE BANDS AREHEAVIEST AND MOST PERSISTENT...ESPECIALLY FROM THE NW PART OFONONDAGA COUNTY TO MADISON COUNTY AND FROM NORTH BAY TO ROME INONEIDA. SOME SPOTS IN ONONDAGA COUNTY WILL PROBABLY HAVE STORMTOTALS CLOSING IN ON THE 18-20 INCH RANGE BY NOON.

George - latest KBGM AFD update....i sent them a spotter report of 11", seems like we're not outliers. I like what I'm reading:

IN GENERAL...THE FCST IS IN GOOD SHAPE FOR BAND PLACEMENT ANDMOVEMENT TRENDS...WITH A GRADUAL SHIFT OF THE MAIN BANDS MORE TOTHE NORTH AND EAST ORIENTATION LATER TONIGHT AND THURSDAY MORNINGAS DEPICTED BY NAM12/RUC AND OTHER LOCAL MESOSCALE MODELS. GIVENEARLIER REPORTS...HAVE HAD TO BUMP UP THE PAST SNOWFALL GRIDS INORDER TO RAISE THE STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL AMTS THROUGH 18Z THURSDAY.FOR THE OVERNIGHT PERIOD WE STILL THINK AN ADDITIONAL 6-10 INCHESIS REPRESENTATIVE WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WHERE THE BANDS AREHEAVIEST AND MOST PERSISTENT...ESPECIALLY FROM THE NW PART OFONONDAGA COUNTY TO MADISON COUNTY AND FROM NORTH BAY TO ROME INONEIDA. SOME SPOTS IN ONONDAGA COUNTY WILL PROBABLY HAVE STORMTOTALS CLOSING IN ON THE 18-20 INCH RANGE BY NOON.

Enjoy...the rich are getting richer :whistle:

Oh, and BTW, I typically don't sleep much when Geo. Bay and/or Huron connections are about to impact my home (Many all nighters in Parish!) There are always some surprises.....I could see someone between now and 9am tomorrow morning ending up with 20" of new snow.....these connections can mean business if they just stay put for a decent length of time!!

Back into the nice band here for a bit now...the Canajoharie connection. :) It looks like about 1.5" has fallen now. Pure fluff with light winds. If the wind ever kicks up this will all be transported 800 feet back to the woods in about 30 minutes time.

Oh, and BTW, I typically don't sleep much when Geo. Bay and/or Huron connections are about to impact my home (Many all nighters in Parish!) There are always some surprises.....I could see someone between now and 9am tomorrow morning ending up with 20" of new snow.....these connections can mean business if they just stay put for a decent length of time!!

Thanks! But by the end of the season, we all know you'll be on top of the pile when seasonal totals come in!!

BTW, band over the last few minutes has made a decided push to the NE, near the shoreline....this is OUR move Bri!!!!!

Hopefully...I'm flipping between setting up my screens for tomorrow's market and this LES band. Exhausting. I have to get up early also and bring kids to school (Phoenix almost never closes...). Then a 1/2 day at work - more day trading and so on and so forth...

Thanks! But by the end of the season, we all know you'll be on top of the pile when seasonal totals come in!!

BTW, band over the last few minutes has made a decided push to the NE, near the shoreline....this is OUR move Bri!!!!!

Most likely...But it would be nice to a least cash in with a little bit of what you have been getting over the last week and a half.

it'll be interesting to see where this moves to. 20 more inches would be outrageous. I could see 5 or 6 hrs at 2"/hr....maybe another foot for someone? I'm wondering if this blasts thru us and centers itself into So. Oswego Cty, we'll see. My calibrated eyeball says we've picked up about 2" new since I measured at 7pm though the moon is breaking thru attm in pc skies.

Unfortunately, I think the city gets about an hour of the "decent" stuff.....then just intermittent stuff...winds have shifted a good deal to the west. S. Oswego Co. looks to be the bullseye to my eye.

agree...i'm hoping it doesn't get to my north...first flakes have restarted @ 1am on the nose. Looks like it means bidness wherever it sets up. People are not going to be happy when they wake up. whistle.gif

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY

1243 AM EST THU DEC 16 2010

NYZ040-047-048-051-161500-

/O.EXB.KALY.LE.Y.0006.000000T0000Z-101216T1500Z/

MONTGOMERY-SCHOHARIE-WESTERN SCHENECTADY-WESTERN ALBANY-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...AMSTERDAM...WELLSVILLE...COBLESKILL...

MIDDLEBURGH...DELANSON...ESPERANCE...DUANESBURG...ALTAMONT

1243 AM EST THU DEC 16 2010

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST THIS

MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT

SNOW ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST THIS MORNING.

* LOCATIONS: MONTGOMERY...SCHOHARIE...WESTERN SCHENECTADY AND

WESTERN ALBANY COUNTIES.

* HAZARDS: MODERATE LAKE EFFECT SNOW WITH BURSTS OF HEAVY SNOW

POSSIBLE.

* ACCUMULATIONS: 3 TO 6 INCHES WITHIN THE MOST PERSISTENT BANDS

THROUGH MUCH OF THIS MORNING.

* TIMING: BANDS OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW HAVE SET UP ACROSS MAINLY

NORTHERN SCHOHARIE AND WESTERN ALBANY COUNTIES EARLY THIS

MORNING. THE SNOW BANDS WILL THEN GRADUALLY DRIFT NORTHWARD

INTO WESTERN SCHENECTADY AND MONTGOMERY COUNTIES.

* IMPACTS: SNOW COVERED ROADS WILL CAUSE HAZARDOUS DRIVING

CONDITIONS. ALLOW EXTRA TIME TO REACH YOUR DESTINATION.

* TEMPERATURES: IN THE TEENS THROUGH MUCH OF THIS MORNING.

* WINDS: WEST TO NORTHWEST AT 5 TO 15 MPH.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY MEANS LAKE-EFFECT SNOW IS FORECAST

THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DIFFICULT IN SOME AREAS. LAKE-EFFECT SNOW

SHOWERS TYPICALLY ALIGN THEMSELVES IN BANDS AND WILL LIKELY BE

INTENSE ENOUGH TO DROP SEVERAL INCHES IN LOCALIZED AREAS. USE

CAUTION WHEN TRAVELING.

&&

Archived