amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 14th and onward discussion thread

BullCityWx

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is actually right where we want it at this point, maybe a little more suppressed than currently progged, but much better than an EC bomb that rakes the MA and NE. Southern slider, and OTS... Remember, most sig winter storms that impact the SE, are not your typical east coast riders. Take this as a win in the 7 day, not in the bullseye, an ots track, and looks rather weak, which can be a great thing given waa and warm noses.

This is actually right where we want it at this point, maybe a little more suppressed than currently progged, but much better than an EC bomb that rakes the MA and NE. Southern slider, and OTS... Remember, most sig winter storms that impact the SE, are not your typical east coast riders. Take this as a win in the 7 day, not in the bullseye, an ots track, and looks rather weak, which can be a great thing given waa and warm noses.

I guess the trend is our friend or at least I hope so in this situation!

Yep. We learned about this from the previous winter when things were seemingly horrible, only to get something decent out of a wintry hit in the latter. My thought is that it'll keep this for another day and then start trending back to the original solution. Time will tell.

I agree...I was just over in the main forum reading in the 0z model thread and I think I was the only one happy w/ this solution. Whenever we get a wrapped up storm usually we have all sorts of ptype issues.

I agree...I was just over in the main forum reading in the 0z model thread and I think I was the only one happy w/ this solution. Whenever we get a wrapped up storm usually we have all sorts of ptype issues.

But in reality, at-least from what the ens means are showing at this point, this could very well be another EC bomb that the MA and NE folks cream over. Similar to the Dec 19th event last year, one which I had the fortune of chasing to Lynchburg Va. Modeled similarly in the 7 day, an ots track, but ended up being a monster for interior portions of VA. With the negative AO and NAO overwhelming the pattern, but lacking the stj, one has to think the SE is in game at this point, and if not with this, going forward during the rest of the month, given last year and the same general setup; PV locked into Nova Scotia, and sig high latitude blocking shifting the mean storm tracks south.

But in reality, at-least from what the ens means are showing at this point, this could very well be another EC bomb that the MA and NE folks cream over. Similar to the Dec 19th event last year, one which I had the fortune of chasing to Lynchburg Va. Modeled similarly in the 7 day, an ots track, but ended up being a monster for interior portions of VA. With the negative AO and NAO overwhelming the pattern, but lacking the stj, one has to think the SE is in game at this point, and if not with this, going forward during the rest of the month, given last year and the same general setup; PV locked into Nova Scotia, and sig high latitude blocking shifting the mean storm tracks south.

Which one is looking better overall for the SE right now, the GGEM or the Euro? I think I saw someone in another thread, saying they looked similar.

Which one is looking better overall for the SE right now, the GGEM or the Euro? I think I saw someone in another thread, saying they looked similar.

One would try to figure out the HPC's blend for the early pm final extended disco, based on yesterdays thoughts, and there bias towards the EC, a ECMWF-GGEM blend, given the ensemble support, which I have not seen for the 0z runs, but would imagine it is there if the GFS ens is any indication...

post-382-0-82910900-1292224821.png

I agree, this could be a bomb. If it does turn out that way I hope it is far enough to the east where we don't have mixing issue. Like I said earlier, right now I'm glad the models are showing a storm.

The potential weekend system is very much up in the air, and a lot of it has to do with the handling of the eastern Canadian vortex. Here is the 0z Euro for 12z Sat....notice the position of the vortex at 500mb in SE Canada.

f144g.th.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And here is the 0z GFS at 12z Sat. Notice the vortex is much farther west, and that allows our disturbance to amplify in time for a significant winter storm for parts of the SE. Yesterday's 12z Euro also had the vortex further west.

f1441.th.gif

The potential weekend system is very much up in the air, and a lot of it has to do with the handling of the eastern Canadian vortex. Here is the 0z Euro for 12z Sat....notice the position of the vortex at 500mb in SE Canada.

f144g.th.gif

And here is the 0z GFS at 12z Sat. Notice the vortex is much farther west, and that allows our disturbance to amplify in time for a significant winter storm for parts of the SE. Yesterday's 12z Euro also had the vortex further west.

f1441.th.gif

Good video this morning Matthew!

Let the model waffling begin! :popcorn:

It was definitely a challenge last year...seems we had a tough time getting the positioning just right. Maybe we will get it this time around....

Yep great video especially explaining the PV and how it plays it's part. The damn thing kept giving us fits last year for the CLT area. Hopefully it complies and we get a great week of winter weather!

I'm already much more encouraged with what I'm seeing for this weekend compared to what we just had, at least in terms of the snow potential. The GFS did very well with this current system, let's see how it does with the next one. As long as we can get the cold air support. Looking at the 06Z GFS it looks like for us in the CAD areas, it could be a good setup.

Archived