• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
October 16th-19th Storm.

SpartyOn

Joe Bastardi has apparently been calling for quite th windstorm for midweek, pointing to the UK MEt to back up his point. Could people be taken by surprise due to EC playing it down?

I wouldn't say EC is playing it down. It's still 3 days out and the models have been inconsistent.

It'll be interesting to see if that tropical disturbance over the eastern Gulf gets entrained into the long wave trough. Could be a serious rain producer for some, along with the wind threat.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully we see a storm like this in the Winter season. Thus far the ECMWF/GFS indicate quite the rain storm across the region but the surface is too warm for any snow to stick let alone fall.

But....the storms following this one seem to be Lake Cutters too :D

GFS shows some snow cover though no more than a inch;

http://policlimate.com/weather/current/gfs_snow_usa.html

The GFS shows a widespread 1-3 inch rainfall, wow.

http://policlimate.com/weather/current/gfs_precip.html#picture

We will have to see how the TROWAL develops and how the coastal develops, but there are generally two possible solutions on the table. The EC/NAM/UK (more so the UK/NAM) are essentially WAA dominant and more or less eject the coastal/WAA regime ahead of the main parent low whereas the GFS is more progressive and more dominant with the coastal wave. Don't underestimate the moist latent processes at work here reinforcing the WAA regime and the rapid breakdown of the Canadian vortex. Here I actually would not completely discount the strong solution NAM with a dominant parent upper low. NAM is getting dangerously close to mixing in heavy wet snow on the outskirts of the deformation band and outside of the TROWAL zone.

It is weird how this storm has progressed as it is essentially a completely different potential solution from what this thread was initially started for, but the end result may be similar.

You sound disappointed?

Damn straight skippy!

No SEMI Weenie/complainer here...But I have hunch this storm in guidance land is making many (you?) blush. Thats right Godspeed to me as I check Bufkit and droll over soundings for nothing...I must sound excited for Winter or something.

Damn straight skippy!

No SEMI Weenie/complainer here...But I have hunch this storm in guidance land is making many (you?) blush. Thats right Godspeed to me as I check Bufkit and droll over soundings for nothing...I must sound excited for Winter or something.

Honestly, I don't follow any of this. I get the sense though that you've been offended, which wasn't my intention.

It has changed majorly. 3 days ago, it was another upper midwest storm.

Yeah completely, it is a hybrid EC coastal/Apps Runner/Great Lakes storm. A weird looking storm, but it will be fun to track either way. GFS came much more in line with the NAM/EC/UK and has a dominant parent upper low instead of a dominant WAA advection regime and subsequent progressive storm.

Yeah completely, it is a hybrid EC coastal/Apps Runner/Great Lakes storm. A weird looking storm, but it will be fun to track either way. GFS came much more in line with the NAM/EC/UK and has a dominant parent upper low instead of a dominant WAA advection regime and subsequent progressive storm.

should look awesome on 24hr WV loop during the week.

Archived