e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
October 16th-19th Storm.

SpartyOn

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the current NAM WRF-NMM has been place since 2006 with a number of significant tweaks over the years. This is basically the first "major" upgrade and is basically a new model.

In general it has been much better than the current NAM in terms of synoptics, but I haven't evaluated much beyond that. But that is big news since the current NAM could rarely even get that right.

It seems to have a cold bias, at least from what I've seen using the NAM WRF-NMM MOS and the NAM NMM-B MOS - who knows though.

The 54hr are only 06 & 18Z but here's the 18Z 54hr slp & 500

Man I LOVE your maps! I don't know why, but I do..haha

Back to the thread...

man that's a nice looking track/storm, just a month later and p-types would be interesting. 12z NAM has a pretty wicked band for a period on the backside.

Dynamic cooling FTW. But yeah, the backside precip/band looks very nice.

12z NAM has 3.05" total for LAF. 1.11" of it in a 6 hour period. :lol:

12z NAM has some serious wind potential around northeast IL/northwest IN. A good 12-15 hours of 925 mb winds of 50-60 kts. Unclear how much of this may mix down but even some heavier showers may be enough.

Looks like any lake enhanced shower activity should have no problem producing gusts to 50. 12z GFS pretty wet for extreme NE Illinois as well now. First real storm in a long time.

Looks like any lake enhanced shower activity should have no problem producing gusts to 50. 12z GFS pretty wet for extreme NE Illinois as well now. First real storm in a long time.

Should be fun. Taking a closer look at the NAM and it's suggesting mixing to about 900 mb near the lake all of Wednesday night.

Ya pretty impressive, was just looking at that. ugh why can't it be December?

I hear ya but this particular setup with the tropical interaction probably wouldn't happen in winter.

Curious to see how LOT will handle the wind potential...whether they go with a large wind advisory or restrict it to the lakeshore areas. I think areas near the shore will flirt with high wind warning criteria. Best chance to capture that at a reporting site will probably be GYY.

I hear ya but this particular setup with the tropical interaction probably wouldn't happen in winter.

Curious to see how LOT will handle the wind potential...whether they go with a large wind advisory or restrict it to the lakeshore areas. I think areas near the shore will flirt with high wind warning criteria. Best chance to capture that at a reporting site will probably be GYY.

I've mentioned it before when we've had threads on dream scenarios, but I think something similar to this is possible into November when it's possible enough cold air would be available for a rare snow event. Getting OT of course.

Thinking LOT goes with advisories.

I've mentioned it before when we've had threads on dream scenarios, but I think something similar to this is possible into November when it's possible enough cold air would be available for a rare snow event. Getting OT of course.

Thinking LOT goes with advisories.

It's happened out east more than once so no reason it couldn't happen closer to home. Maybe it has and we don't know about it.

Got a beautiful cloud deck in Springfield, OH and a very cold outflow breeze ahead of a storm. Temps were only in the mid 50's, then dropped into the 40's. Pea size hail was reported about 10 mins north of here, got a couple claps of thunder. Pic quality isn't the greatest, taken with iPhone 4.

post-6373-0-10618000-1318964047.jpg

post-6373-0-37397800-1318964052.jpg

Gino just issued a High Wind Watch for Chicago and lakeshore counties for wind gusts of 60mph likely.

lakeshore flood warning as well, waves building to 22 feet :scooter:

...LAKESHORE FLOOD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM WEDNESDAY TO 4 PM

CDT THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A LAKESHORE

FLOOD WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM WEDNESDAY TO 4 PM

CDT THURSDAY.

* WAVES...WAVES WILL BUILD TO 12 TO 16 FEET WEDNESDAY

AFTERNOON...BUILDING FURTHER TO 17 TO 22 FEET WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

WAVES WILL GRADUALLY SUBSIDE TO LESS THAN 15 FEET BY LATE

THURSDAY AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...LARGE AND BATTERING WAVES WILL RESULT IN FLOODING OF

AREAS NEAR THE LAKE...LIKELY WORSE THAN WHAT WAS SEEN WITH THE

LATE SEPTEMBER STORM A FEW WEEKS AGO. WAVES COULD RESULT IN

FLOODING ALONG THE MORE SUSCEPTIBLE PORTIONS OF LAKE SHORE DRIVE

IN CHICAGO.

Apparently, the clouds I saw in the pictures above were Undulatus Asperatus. Not too much is known about these from what I can tell...except they seem to form after storms have past. I have attached a radar grab with an X where the clouds were and an arrow showing the direction they were traveling. I wonder if the fact that we were surrounded by cells had something to do with the formation.

post-6373-0-51246500-1318965588.jpg

Apparently, the clouds I saw in the pictures above were Undulatus Asperatus. Not too much is known about these from what I can tell...except they seem to form after storms have past. I have attached a radar grab with an X where the clouds were and an arrow showing the direction they were traveling. I wonder if the fact that we were surrounded by cells had something to do with the formation.

I believe I've seen them before as well, hopefully we'll get a met to chime in later.

Archived