joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Oct-Dec Florida Thread

MJW155

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gfs looks to take a broad low north of tampa then onto jax...but could it be tropical? either way looks stormy on tues.

Last night's run gave heavy rain to pretty much the entire peninsula. That makes me happy as it will get water into Lake Okeechobee before the dry season. Usually southern Florida is pretty dry during winter during ninas.

Last night's run gave heavy rain to pretty much the entire peninsula. That makes me happy as it will get water into Lake Okeechobee before the dry season. Usually southern Florida is pretty dry during winter during ninas.

Last winter was bone dry. It started with Nicole lol and did not break really until mid and late June. There were many municipalities contemplating banning fireworks on the fourth. Being a legal state, that would have went over well. laugh.gif

Last winter was bone dry. It started with Nicole lol and did not break really until mid and late June. There were many municipalities contemplating banning fireworks on the fourth. Being a legal state, that would have went over well. laugh.gif

I know, the lake was really low by mid April. Lots of boats needed prop work.

Hey Ice,

Do you think we will get any action down here in the next few days? I know NOAA has a cherry south of us.

It depends on what you mean by action. I think if anything tropical, or subtropical forms in the Gulf, it would make landfall too far NW (panhandle or big bend region) to have much of an effect on us.

That said, Miami radar VWP profiles indicating lots of deep-layer veering, and cells are beginning to become increasingly isolated south of the keys. The trough digging south tomorrow should only aid in forcing upward motion and increasing severe chances further north. I wouldn't put it out of the question that we see a tornado or two over south FL tonight, with the greatest risk shifting northward to include all of FL tomorrow.

post-378-0-34046900-1318958778.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 2259

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1115 AM CDT TUE OCT 18 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...SRN AND WRN FL

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH LIKELY

VALID 181615Z - 181745Z

A TORNADO THREAT IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP THIS AFTERNOON ACROSS SRN

AND CNTRL FL WITH AN ISOLATED WIND DAMAGE THREAT ALSO POSSIBLE. IN

RESPONSE...A TORNADO WATCH WILL LIKELY BECOME NECESSARY ACROSS THE

SRN FL PENINSULA AND POSSIBLE PARTS OF CNTRL FL IN THE 17Z TO 18Z

TIMEFRAME

AN UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH AND ASSOCIATED SFC LOW IN THE NERN GULF OF

MEXICO WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE NEWD TOWARD THE WRN COAST OF FL THIS

AFTERNOON. TO THE EAST OF THE SFC LOW...A WELL-DEFINED 35 TO 45 KT

JET NEAR 850 MB WILL MOVE INTO SRN FL RESULTING IN AN INCREASE IN

LOW-LEVEL MOISTURE WITH PRECIPITABLE WATER VALUES INCREASING TO

AROUND 2.50 INCHES. THIS WILL RESULT IN LOW CLOUD BASES AS A

DEVELOPING SQUALL-LINE APPROACHES THE SOUTHWEST COAST THIS

AFTERNOON. IN ADDITION...THE JET MAX WILL INCREASE LOW-LEVEL SHEAR

OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS WITH FORECAST SOUNDINGS EARLY THIS AFTERNOON

SHOWING 0-1 KM SHEAR VALUES OF 30 TO 35 KT. THIS ENVIRONMENT WILL BE

FAVORABLE FOR ROTATING CELLS AHEAD OF THE LINE AND EMBEDDED IN THE

LINE ITSELF WITH TORNADOES POSSIBLE. THE TORNADO THREAT IS EXPECTED

TO CONTINUE INTO THE LATE AFTERNOON AS THE SQUALL-LINE MOVES ACROSS

SCNTRL FL. A FEW DAMAGING WIND GUSTS MAY ALSO OCCUR WITH

BOWING-SEGMENTS EMBEDDED IN THE LINE.

..BROYLES.. 10/18/2011

Essentially the same geographic locations as the MD, so won't bother posting the image.

One cell in particular southwest of Key West has been rotating all afternoon :twister:

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 867

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

220 PM EDT TUE OCT 18 2011

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF

SOUTH FLORIDA

COASTAL WATERS

EFFECTIVE THIS TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 220 PM UNTIL

1000 PM EDT.

TORNADOES...HAIL TO 0.5 INCH IN DIAMETER...THUNDERSTORM WIND

GUSTS TO 70 MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE

AREAS.

THE TORNADO WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 70 STATUTE

MILES EAST AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 55 MILES NORTHEAST OF FORT

MEYERS FLORIDA TO 50 MILES EAST SOUTHEAST OF MARATHON FLORIDA.

FOR A COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE THE ASSOCIATED WATCH

OUTLINE UPDATE (WOUS64 KWNS WOU7).

REMEMBER...A TORNADO WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE FOR

TORNADOES AND SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH

AREA. PERSONS IN THESE AREAS SHOULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR

THREATENING WEATHER CONDITIONS AND LISTEN FOR LATER STATEMENTS

AND POSSIBLE WARNINGS.

DISCUSSION...A LINE OF INTENSE THUNDERSTORMS OFF THE SOUTHWEST COAST

OF FL WILL MOVE EASTWARD AND INLAND THIS AFTERNOON. HIGH THETA-E

VALUES AND MODERATE CAPE...COMBINED WITH SUFFICIENT AND INCREASING

LOW LEVEL WIND FIELDS WILL PROMOTE SUPERCELL STRUCTURES CAPABLE OF

DAMAGING WINDS AND ISOLATED TORNADOES.

AVIATION...TORNADOES AND A FEW SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH HAIL

SURFACE AND ALOFT TO 0.5 INCH. EXTREME TURBULENCE AND SURFACE

WIND GUSTS TO 60 KNOTS. A FEW CUMULONIMBI WITH MAXIMUM TOPS TO

500. MEAN STORM MOTION VECTOR 24030.

...HART

Woke up today expecting to be inundated with rain. So far as of 1PM nothing even remotely close to Ocala.

This could be the first time ever that a 100% chance yields nothing. stun.gif By 100% I mean sunrise to sunset.

I was at 70% and it rained all day. Go figure. NOW I am up to 80% lol

That squall line coming onshore in the SW has its eyes on MBY. Along with the tornado watch till 10PM.

I was at 70% and it rained all day. Go figure. NOW I am up to 80% lol

That squall line coming onshore in the SW has its eyes on MBY. Along with the tornado watch till 10PM.

Good for you. Glad most folks got something out of this. Looks like that convection moving towards the lake may be pretty intense. Quite jealous up here.

Well it's sunset so its official. A 100% rain chance was a bust with not a drop. There is some lame convection to my west so I guess .10 isn't out of the question but that will be later.

Kind of sucks because the chamber of commerce weather kicks in tomorrow afternoon. 72 and sunny for the next week. Booo!!

Watch out in West Miami, North Miami and Ft. Lauderdale! The couplet has weakened but if that thing could cycle!

00Z sounding indicates 444 m2/s2 sfc-1 km helicity. Looks like new cells are beginning to fire over the far southern tip of the peninsula. Any cell that can maintain an updraft in this environment has the potential to produce a tornado. Stay safe!

Storm is just to my south now but looks like it will pass just to the west of me. Impressive looking on radar right now.

A crazy last three hours and full day on the Treasure Coast! Tornado warnings just to my north and west by mere miles, a flat out DELUGE for three hours, and wind gusts up to 45 knots that capped off a day that saw steady light to moderate rain since day break. October IMBY is already approaching freakish territory and all of it without the help of a named tropical system.

weight_lift.gif

Edit ... tornado watch extended for MBY until 6 AM. More rolling in from SW FL.

Good for you. Glad most folks got something out of this. Looks like that convection moving towards the lake may be pretty intense. Quite jealous up here.

Well it's sunset so its official. A 100% rain chance was a bust with not a drop. There is some lame convection to my west so I guess .10 isn't out of the question but that will be later.

Kind of sucks because the chamber of commerce weather kicks in tomorrow afternoon. 72 and sunny for the next week. Booo!!

sad.gif

A few reports of tornado damage this evening....

2325 LAKE PORT GLADES FL 26988113 LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED MINOR DAMAGE TO 40 HOMES IN LAKEPORT. WEATHER EVENT IS PRELIMINARY, BASED ON RADAR DATA, PENDING STORM SURVEY. (MFL)

0130 3 NNW INDRIO INDIAN RIVER FL 27568037 22ND PLACE SE IN VERO BEACH JUST EAST OF US1. COUNTY EM REPORTED TORNADO DAMAGE, ROOF REMOVED.(MLB)

0207 SAWGRASS MILLS MALL BROWARD FL 26158032 BROADCAST MEDIA RELAYED SEVERAL REPORTS OF POSSIBLE TORNADO DAMAGE IN SUNRISE NEAR THE SAWGRASS MILLS MALL. ROOFS OFF HOMES WITH 2 PEOPLE REPORTEDLY TRAPPED IN DAMAGED (MFL)

very strange...watched radar all day [10/18] because of already[last week] washed out roads in polk county...seems there was something stopping the heavier rain from going north of a east-west line from vero to st.pete....

It's pretty impressive that the Sunrise tornado was rated EF2. The couplet was much stronger out over the Everglades, so its a good thing it didn't hit anything or we could have been hearing about EF3/4 damage.

Archived