• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Oct-Dec Florida Thread

MJW155

It's pretty impressive that the Sunrise tornado was rated EF2. The couplet was much stronger out over the Everglades, so its a good thing it didn't hit anything or we could have been hearing about EF3/4 damage.

Yea it hit right by the Sawgrass Mall. It was about 10 miles west of me. Very stormy night.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like we have latest end to the general FL wet season since 2001. Come on ..... one more event

It may be over but some of these fronts that come through can pack a serious punch. Get ready for some nasty squall line activity the next few months. There can also be some real busts. 2 years ago NWS in Jville was pretty confident that a severe event would happen. Schools and businesses closed early and every one got ready. Turned out to be a real yawner. In 2005 a nasty line came through at 3AM and tornadoes killed 22 people just to my south. Same thing happened in 1998 when some EF3's tore through Orlando killing 45.

Also, sometimes these fronts will hang up and if you are in the right place the rain train can dump some copious amounts.

I spoke too soon. 96L is on the prowl and the NHC has 60% chance of development.

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

200 PM EDT FRI OCT 21 2011

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE OVER THE WESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA IS CENTERED

ABOUT 170 MILES EAST OF THE COAST OF NICARAGUA. THE ASSOCIATED

SHOWER ACTIVITY HAS BECOME BETTER ORGANIZED...AND THERE IS A

LIKELIHOOD THAT A TROPICAL DEPRESSION WILL FORM DURING THE WEEKEND.

LITTLE MOTION IS ANTICIPATED IN THE SHORT TERM...BUT A SLOW

NORTHWARD DRIFT SHOULD BEGIN ON SUNDAY. THIS SYSTEM HAS A HIGH

CHANCE...60 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE

NEXT 48 HOURS.

I'll be in Homestead 10/29-11/1. How about you Florida folks cook me up something tropical for my arrival!

Well I got my wish possibly. So will Rina have an impact on South Florida? The mets in the main tropical thread are not gung-ho about her impacting South FLA intact, but even some remnants would make me happy.

Well I got my wish possibly. So will Rina have an impact on South Florida? The mets in the main tropical thread are not gung-ho about her impacting South FLA intact, but even some remnants would make me happy.

Man you picked a good time to visit.

I'm hoping Rina bucks the trend and comes in north of Tampa but that cold front won't let that happen. Unless she slows her northward movement?

I got my fingers crossed. Anyways I hope you get to experience some late season tropical action.

Man you picked a good time to visit.

I'm hoping Rina bucks the trend and comes in north of Tampa but that cold front won't let that happen. Unless she slows her northward movement?

I got my fingers crossed. Anyways I hope you get to experience some late season tropical action.

Yep, or bad time..... I'll be landing on Saturday morning at 8:45 AM in Ft. Lauderdale then driving to Homestead. I just hope if this storm does come towards Florida I can get in before it messes up my flight... I must admit I'm excited but the timing might be way too close for comfort in terms of my flight getting cancelled. It's still very early but this has my interest piqued greatly.

According to Dr. Jeff Masters:

A trough of low pressure is predicted to pass to the north of Rina late this week, and now that the hurricane is expected to be a Category 2 or stronger storm, the chances for Rina to make it farther north and affect the Florida Keys and Southwest Florida have increased. The latest 8 am EDT runs of the GFDL and HWRF models both predict that Rina will pass through the Yucatan Channel on Thursday and make landfall on Friday in the Florida Keys or extreme Southwest Florida, south of Naples. The NOGAPS and GFS models predict a weaker storm, and keep Rina trapped in the Caribbean. I think it is more likely that Rina will pass through the Keys. If Rina does make it to the Keys, it would likely be as a tropical storm, since wind shear, dry air, and possible land interaction with Western Cuba and Mexico would potentially knock down the storm's strength.

http://www.wundergro...og/JeffMasters/

Yes, it's grasping for straws, but ya gotta keep hope alive, lol. The fact that the storm has intensified so quickly improves the chances of it "feeling" the trough and getting pulled NE.

We've really been caught on the dry side of the moisture boundary all week:

http://tropic.ssec.w.../natl/main.html

but it looks like that's going to change the next couple of days. Hopefully we can squeeze out one last soaking before the endless dry begins.

Let's hope so but Okeechobee is now at 13.09 ft which is only about a half inch from where it was at this time last year so one more soaking rain would probably get it higher than last. October overall was very good to the lake and to Florida.

Let's hope so but Okeechobee is now at 13.09 ft which is only about a half inch from where it was at this time last year so one more soaking rain would probably get it higher than last. October overall was very good to the lake and to Florida.

Yes, it was a very bountiful October!

12Z ECMWF looking pretty wet down here. No all-day washouts, but fairly consistent showery weather through the weekend.

the radar pic [9:30 pm today] shows heavy rain around the lake and to the s w ....north of a line e & w sebring showe little rain....we have had a lot of rain above that line 2 weeks ago,but to fill the lake more is needed in that area....the kissimmee r . and canals n.of the lake are the main source of water to the lake.....now that the hurricane season is winding down , rain in a area n of the lake can be stored w/o any dumping.........

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL

840 PM EDT SUN OCT 30 2011

FLC086-310100-

/O.CON.KMFL.TO.W.0011.000000T0000Z-111031T0100Z/

MIAMI-DADE FL-

840 PM EDT SUN OCT 30 2011

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 900 PM EDT FOR EAST

CENTRAL MIAMI-DADE COUNTY...

AT 838 PM EDT...WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO INDICATE A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WITH STRONG ROTATION CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A

TORNADO. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED ALONG THE COAST AT CUTLER

BAY...MOVING NORTHWEST AT 5 MPH.

IF YOU ARE NEAR THE PATH OF A TORNADO...SEEK SHELTER IN A STURDY

BUILDING ON THE LOWEST FLOOR...AWAY FROM OUTSIDE WALLS AND WINDOWS.

GET UNDER A WORKBENCH OR OTHER PIECE OF STURDY FURNITURE. USE

BLANKETS OR PILLOWS TO COVER YOUR BODY AND STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS.

TORNADOES ARE ESPECIALLY DANGEROUS AT NIGHT BECAUSE THEY ARE HARD TO

SEE. TAKE COVER NOW! IF YOU WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE OR HEAR IT COMING...IT

MAY BE TOO LATE TO GET TO A SAFE PLACE! MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM OR

HALLWAY ON THE LOWEST FLOOR. LEAVE MOBILE HOMES AND VEHICLES FOR

REINFORCED SHELTER. STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS.

Had to use TMIA since KAMX still down...

post-378-0-62919100-1320022557.gif

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL

855 PM EDT SUN OCT 30 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MIAMI HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

EAST CENTRAL MIAMI-DADE COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST FLORIDA...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF...SOUTH MIAMI...KENDALL...

* UNTIL 945 PM EDT

* AT 853 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO NEAR PERRINE...

MOVING NORTH AT 5 MPH.

THIS STORM IS ALSO CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DESTRUCTIVE WINDS IN EXCESS

OF 70 MPH.

* THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR...

PERRINE...

PINECREST...

AND SURROUNDING COMMUNITIES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

SEEK SHELTER INSIDE A STURDY BUILDING ON THE LOWEST FLOOR...AWAY FROM

EXTERIOR WALLS AND WINDOWS. GET UNDER A WORKBENCH OR OTHER PIECE OF

STURDY FURNITURE. USE BLANKETS OR PILLOWS TO COVER YOUR BODY.

TAKE COVER NOW IN A STURDY REINFORCED BUILDING. TORNADOES ARE

ESPECIALLY DANGEROUS AT NIGHT BECAUSE THEY ARE HARD TO SEE. IF YOU

WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE OR HEAR IT COMING...IT MAY BE TOO LATE TO GET TO A

SAFE PLACE! MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM OR HALLWAY ON THE LOWEST FLOOR.

LEAVE MOBILE HOMES AND VEHICLES FOR REINFORCED SHELTER. STAY AWAY

FROM WINDOWS.

Flooding starting to become serious now.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL 1220 AM EDT MON OCT 31 2011 FLC086-310830- /O.CON.KMFL.FF.W.0005.000000T0000Z-111031T0830Z/ /00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

MIAMI-DADE FL-

1220 AM EDT MON OCT 31 2011

...A FLASH FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 430 AM EDT FOR EAST CENTRAL MIAMI-DADE COUNTY...

AT 1211 AM EDT...A STORM SPOTTER REPORTED THAT ALL STREETS EAST OF LENOX AVENUE BETWEEN 9TH AND 14TH STREET IS FLOODED. LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS HAVE REPORTED EXTENSIVE STREET FLOODING WITH STALLED VEHICLES AND IMPASSABLE STREETS IN THE CORAL GABLES AREA. FLASH FLOODING WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE WARNED AREA. TORRENTIAL RAINFALL WITH RATES OF 2 TO 4 INCHES PER HOUR WILL OCCUR FROM COCONUT GROVE TO DOWNTOWN MIAMI TO SOUTH BEACH. THIS WILL EXACERBATE THE FLOODING SITUATION...LEADING TO VERY DANGEROUS DRIVING CONDITIONS. DRIVING IS NOT RECOMMENDED ACROSS THESE AREAS. FLOODING OF SOME HOMES AND BUSINESSES IS LIKELY.

LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO CUTLER BAY...CUTLER RIDGE...PERRINE...COCONUT GROVE...MIAMI BEACH...MIAMI...SOUTH MIAMI...AND CORAL GABLES

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

BE ESPECIALLY CAUTIOUS AT NIGHT WHEN IT IS HARDER TO RECOGNIZE THE DANGERS OF FLOODING. WITH FLOODED ROADWAYS AND THE NUMEROUS CANALS ACROSS SOUTH FLORIDA...IT CAN BE DIFFICULT TO DETERMINE WHERE THE ROAD ENDS AND WHERE THE CANAL BEGINS. MOST FLOOD DEATHS OCCUR IN AUTOMOBILES. NEVER DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE INTO AREAS WHERE THE WATER COVERS THE ROADWAY. FLOOD WATERS ARE USUALLY DEEPER THAN THEY APPEAR. WHEN ENCOUNTERING FLOODED ROADS MAKE THE SMART CHOICE...TURN AROUND...DONT DROWN.

My wife was down in Deerfield Beach this weekend. She said it never stopped raining. I see they are getting slammed again today in north Broward.

Our 30% chance of rain last night turned into 1.38 in the bucket today. That was a nice surprise. Ended the month with 6.51 which is quite impressive considering I had zero last October.

Looking forward to checking the Cocorahs totals for October for the east and southeast coast tomorrow. October has been a wet one.

Archived