Newest Member
    joxey
§ October Forecast Contest, Tropics §

Mallow

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a link to the original seasonal forecasts (end of thread):

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/18944-%c2%a7-june-forecast-contest-tropics-%c2%a7/page__st__60

Seems that the ratio of tropical storms to hurricanes was generally unforeseen. But if the season doesn't produce much from now on, the consensus and some of the higher predictions should do well except for that ratio being off.

Lower seasonal predictions could do better on H and M unless we see 2-3 more hurricanes.

October

3.3/1.6/0.8

Seasonal

20.2/6.4/2.9

Whoops. For some reason I hadn't updated my spreadsheet to include Katia as a major (I probably closed it without saving after updating in mid September).

Oh well, now I have a fallback... if there's no MH this month I'll be good on seasonal... if there is, I'll be good on the month. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Being late sucks......could have made up some ground. I agree with the rules set forth, but had a brainstorm that may (down the road for those who have unforeseen "stuff" going on) improve upon the tardy penalties:

I propose for next year that for every hour late rounded to next hour (which the timestamp of the post would provide) that 1% get taken off, carried out to 100% if one were 100 hours late....Just an idea to throw out there.... for the many who have priorities (or are just naturally lazy) that creep up.

Being late sucks......could have made up some ground. I agree with the rules set forth, but had a brainstorm that may (down the road for those who have unforeseen "stuff" going on) improve upon the tardy penalties:

I propose for next year that for every hour late rounded to next hour (which the timestamp of the post would provide) that 1% get taken off, carried out to 100% if one were 100 hours late....Just an idea to throw out there.... for the many who have priorities (or are just naturally lazy) that creep up.

This is probably a better idea, since I'm currently treating 1hr late and 23hrs late the same. I think that's a good thing to implement next year. ^_^

Or just get it in on time :P

Archived