• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Katia Part 2, TS Watch for Bermuda

Katia may not be a total fish storm either, the extratropical remnant hits Iceland on the GFS and Ireland on the ECM. That means Scotland, other parts of the UK, and the Faeroes are probably in the running also. Debbie (9-16-1961) hit Northern Ireland (and northwest Ireland if you catch my drift) probably as an extratropical storm although back then it was still classed as a hurricane, and produced wind gusts over 100 mph doing considerable damage to buildings and trees.

The day seven position for Katia on the ECM is basically right over Ireland, and for the GFS, approaching southwest Iceland as a very deep low.

So there may eventually be human impacts for this storm beside the swells and the need to navigate around it. Although it appears that southeast Newfoundland is only going to have a glancing blow at worst, too far out to be sure on that as well.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have certainly been on the conservative side of things the past 24-48 hours. Would love to have some recon in there to get some ground truth.

I am thinking more like 110-115kts than 100. Dvorak estimates are doing a pretty good job...these are the types of average storm that they are built for.

that's kinda old. This is the newest AMSU pass.

Nice... seems pretty well organized with a closed eyewall, though it still have once nice feeder band to the west, so not quite Annular currently.

I've been using the FNMOC Tropical Applications page.

weight_lift.gif

Thanks for the info... much better site IMO!

newest SSMIS pass.

very nice... no signs of an EWRC after showing a feeder in the earlier microwave pass. Satellite presentation has really improved too, with obvious PV mixing occurring if you look at a zoomed in WV loop.

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/get-goes?satellite=GOES-E%20CONUS&info=wv&lat=25&lon=-65&zoom=1&type=Animation&numframes=30

very nice... no signs of an EWRC after showing a feeder in the earlier microwave pass. Satellite presentation has really improved too, with obvious PV mixing occurring if you look at a zoomed in WV loop.

http://wwwghcc.msfc....on&numframes=30

there's also a bit more evidence of spiral bands on the latest microwave..so not really annular, yet, at least

Why do they use knots vs mph?

I always wonder the opposite-- why anyone here uses mph. When talking about tropical cyclones, the universal unit of wind-speed measurement in technical discussions is kt (or m/sec). Stuff like mph and kph are just for the general public-- like translating to baby talk for the average joe. This is is a technical forum, therefore kt makes sense.

Back to Katia... It's not the most attractive Cat 4 I've ever seen-- looks a bit smushed to me.

Archived