• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
New NWS model guidance link not working

What browser are you using? I would definitely send them an email stating the problem (as well as OS/Browser information).

I know I was having looping issues on my Droid...(it would start loading the images and then freeze...probably a phone issue) otherwise, I have used the new format for the last month....knowing my initial reaction of negativity was more due to having a learning curve to go through again rather than the design....and I was right....once one gets used to it, it is fine....is it better??? I'm sure some (after adaptation) will say yes and others no.

BTW, Happy Birthday! :drunk: Keep up the good work down there.

I have had no problems with it either, and yes, happy birthday dtk!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had no problems with it either, and yes, happy birthday dtk!

Thanks, re: bday wishes!

Also, just to clarify, I'm only a user of the MAG like everyone else (I have no vested interested, I didn't develop it, I don't work on it). The issues brought up regarding compatibility (links seeming not working for browsers, mobile devices, etc.) are legit....please pass along (polite, constructive) suggestions and comments to the email posted earlier.

Has to be one of the ugliest websites created in the year 2011; this is not supposed to be 1999 last I checked. Awful, and I got a shock today when I found I had to use it. I was hoping after their trial run they realized how horrible it was. It takes 5 times as long to get to anything now and isn't very functional except for the loops.

This is obviously a stretch, but after seeing this site, I'm starting to wonder if we should get rid of the NWS like Accuweather wants after all. :)

What exactly isn't working? I'm not having any issues today. I realize that it takes a bit to get used to, but I don't get why people are so upset over the new website (it's really not that bad).

I think it's awful and can't believe they actually put that out in public as the national model access site.

That loads up fine for me, but when I click on "Model Guidance" I get blank.

Make sure you have Javascript "enabled" on your browser, all of those links are Javascript links.

I don't really think the page was designed to be fancy looking or anything else, I get the impression of a no frills, here's your model, your welcome kind of deal. Serve it up plain and simple.

Make sure you have Javascript "enabled" on your browser, all of those links are Javascript links.

I don't really think the page was designed to be fancy looking or anything else, I get the impression of a no frills, here's your model, your welcome kind of deal. Serve it up plain and simple.

But it isn't plain and simple. Confusing links with confusing names with a confusing UI.

Would love to see the 4 panel charts fit at least 900 px wide, 800px wide would be awesome (for me!).

Just took a look at the 4 pans, and it's going to be a little more complicated than expected. Thought I could do it pretty quickly, but it's probably going to take a little while...if i can do it at all.

How much of a delay is there at getting the data?

I know on twisterdata, the NAM beats the NCEP site, but the GFS is a lot slower than the NCEP site.

InstantWeatherMaps.com beats NCEP hands down for the GFS... that boy isn't kidding when he says he has 1-second lag on some of the maps!

I will this evening on lack of functionality on mobile devices. More and more people are using smartphones. I work at Penn State in Teaching and Learning with Technology and we are finding the demand for mobile-friendly sites continues to grow.

There's an app for NCEP images called WeatherGeekPro... I think TwisterData or InstantWeatherMaps should make one though.

Just took a look at the 4 pans, and it's going to be a little more complicated than expected. Thought I could do it pretty quickly, but it's probably going to take a little while...if i can do it at all.

That's ok. I can work with that.

Can you center the tables on the page (float in the center of the page) instead of having it left justified?

The home button should take me to the model home page instead of the NCEP page IMHO. That's a little confusing.

Personally, I'd do a border-collapse: collapse on all of the tables and use a slightly lighter blue for a color.

Tried again on my laptop at home and it worked... was able to load everything. I think it was the browser settings at my work computer that was blocking it, somehow.

Now, for the new interface... I don't care much for it, like the others have said. This will take a long time to get used to.

Right. The old page was the same way (no frills) and looked much nicer, ran quicker etc. The only improvement is looping. I really can't believe they put something out this awful. Just a terrible web design.

I hate the new website. Negative comments far outway the few positive ones. Awful to use on my smartphone. The old site was so quick and easy to use comparing old runs side by side to new ones. People were not complaining about old page. We will have to live with this now for along time, Im sure they will not go back no matter what people say.

Yeah, it needs some work.I can not believe they still went through with putting it out after all of the feedback.

Yup. The new site is a disgrace. It's nearly unusable as far as I'm concerned. It's like someone's first PHP project, except I've seen better first PHP projects than this from high schoolers. I really wish they had at least kept the old site around.

Yup. The new site is a disgrace. It's nearly unusable as far as I'm concerned. It's like someone's first PHP project, except I've seen better first PHP projects than this from high schoolers. I really wish they had at least kept the old site around.

Yep. The old site was easier to use and accomplished exactly what the end user wanted.

I don't know too many "casual" weather observers who would give two hoots about bells and whistles. If they want the GFS faster they know where to get it and how much to pay for it.

Yep. The old site was easier to use and accomplished exactly what the end user wanted.

I don't know too many "casual" weather observers who would give two hoots about bells and whistles. If they want the GFS faster they know where to get it and how much to pay for it.

New site adds 3 hour increments, surface temps and the actual 3 hour intervals come out much faster then the old site.

Also the NMM and ARW come out as much as 30 minutes faster then any other website.

For overall site though, I dont think ewall can be beat.

New site adds 3 hour increments, surface temps and the actual 3 hour intervals come out much faster then the old site.

Also the NMM and ARW come out as much as 30 minutes faster then any other website.

Speed isn't a big deal except for the weenieverse because those who want it fast are paying for it. They probably could have accomplished the 3 hr intervals by adding a bunch of html code and some java in the existing scripts on the old NCEP pages.

The end result is a downgrade over the old product, especially from a user functionality standpoint for the those who just want a simple run of the GFS. I think a good # of them will probably end up just using wunderground or E-Wall.

Speed isn't a big deal except for the weenieverse because those who want it fast are paying for it. They probably could have accomplished the 3 hr intervals by adding a bunch of html code and some java in the existing scripts on the old NCEP pages.

The end result is a downgrade over the old product, especially from a user functionality standpoint for the those who just want a simple run of the GFS. I think a good # of them will probably end up just using wunderground or E-Wall.

Bolded part is false. But it is as simple as modifying a script though... just it's a GrADS script, not an HTML/java script. Also, honestly with their supercomputing resources there is no excuse for their maps being even 10 seconds late. That's why I'm hoping InstantWeatherMaps gets some other models on his site by winter.<br>

It would not have been hard at all to add 3 hour increments on the old site. Having the data come out earlier really seems more like a policy decision or some other link in the chain being crappy. Once the images are ready, they can be available. If something was causing the images to be delayed, that would have been just as true on the new site as the old, and the fix would have been relevant to either.

What exactly isn't working? I'm not having any issues today. I realize that it takes a bit to get used to, but I don't get why people are so upset over the new website (it's really not that bad).

TThe new "MAG" is here to stay, but they're willing to listen to suggested improvements (and certainly want to fix any "bugs/issues"). The NCO folks working on the webpage have been responsive in the past, so try sending a polite email with a description of issues/suggestions here:

[email protected]

If by "not that bad" you mean absolutely sucks and is a major step back, you'd be right.

Why don't I like it? Lets start with I have to click about 8 times just to get to my most looked at product, the RUC 4 panel charts. After WV loops from other sources, its my first quick and dirty look at whats going on. I can't even bookmark it on firefox speed dial or something convenient/quick because the stupid links stay hardwired to whatever you last looked at. Why else? How about the quality of the graphics has actually gone down in terms of readability/size, don't know how that is considered progress.

Looks about impossible to me. Pretty sad when you can't even get it to bookmark.

At this point, its gonna be easier for me to set up my own scripts to run on a chron and plot up the 4 panels how I want them in gempak (another archaic POS program that, admittedly, still has its uses). Thats tons of work to get them exactly like NCEP's and to keep everything running but once its done, I can have instant access unlike NCRAPs (NCEPs) website.

Bolded part is false. But it is as simple as modifying a script though... just it's a GrADS script, not an HTML/java script. Also, honestly with their supercomputing resources there is no excuse for their maps being even 10 seconds late.

So I used the wrong terminology. I do know that adjusting the script to account for three hour maps within the same database can be easily done...it's not like NCEP has never uploaded or tweaked a script before.

Timing issue isn't that big of a deal in the freeview world unless you're a weenie who has to have his data 30 seconds sooner. The model run isn't going to change for six hours regardless of whether the hour 72 panel hits at 12:01 EDT or 12:00:30. It'll still be the same GFS at nearly the same time.

Archived