• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irene SNE Chase thread

free_man

We are under five days away from possible major effects such as hydro issues and also marine impacts. It is probably time in the next day or two to start discussing chasing logistics assuming there are no wild swings in forecast path.

Discuss!

ha ha. guess we'll see. got all the weenie equipment and apparel ready in wait if needed. new vehicle, mobile internets, multiple laptops/ipad, couple of anemometers etc.

but hopefully not measuring 35 knot east winds in CHH in blinding rain like last year. :lol:

advantage of this being west is we get barely any rain so can be out in the elements and not soaked to the bone.

A 65-kt hurricane is a piece of sh*t? Really? Given that it's an exceedingly rare occurrence up there, I'd think you would celebrate it.

meh, a 65kt hurricane would mean some gusts around 40-50mph for most of the region, outside the immediate coast to the right of the track. That's at least a once a year event here with a strong fropa

ha ha. guess we'll see. got all the weenie equipment and apparel ready in wait if needed. new vehicle, mobile internets, multiple laptops/ipad, couple of anemometers etc.

but hopefully not measuring 35 knot east winds in CHH in blinding rain like last year. :lol:

advantage of this being west is we get barely any rain so can be out in the elements and not soaked to the bone.

foam dome?

no joke

meh, a 65kt hurricane would mean some gusts around 40-50mph for most of the region, outside the immediate coast to the right of the track. That's at least a once a year event here with a strong fropa

You are exaggerating on that point.

Heavy rain and PRE will loosen those soils. Lots of uprooting. Plus we are not talking a 10 or 15 minute interval of 60mph winds , with frozen ground and bare trees.

If this does hit on the outer cape then one place to consider instead of Chatham is East Orleans. I went there last year for Earl because I wanted to see waves and there weren't any in Chatham. They closed the public parking area for the beach at the end of Beach Road, but just south of Beach Road is a private community area at the end of Pochet Road. They have a small private parking area right near the beach which could probably be used. The whole time my friend and I were there only a few other cars that showed up and none of them gave us any trouble. Nice beach with good waves too. There's an elevated boardwalk that goes over a swampy area, so if the storm surge is higher than 3' this probably wouldn't be a good place.

If it goes east on the outer cape or just offshore this could be a good spot.. but hopefully it is west and can be chased in RI or SE MA.

Looks like leaving to the Cape tonight is best plan instead of waiting for Saturday and possible bridge closures. Worst case would be stay at the house in Taunton or folks in North Attleboro instead, which aren't very desirable but not bad shutout spots.

I'm nervous yet excited at the same time. I don't know what to think at this point. This may be the worst storm since the 1930/40's.

I know what you mean. It was almost eerie this morning walking the dog. It was so damn calm. All I could think about is how violent the winds will be come Sunday. I remember Gloria very well, and I know this will probably surpass that. This one will be very memorable, I'm sure.

I know what you mean. It was almost eerie this morning walking the dog. It was so damn calm. All I could think about is how violent the winds will be come Sunday. I remember Gloria very well, and I know this will probably surpass that. This one will be very memorable, I'm sure.

I don't know if it's just our heightened awareness of the weather but I felt that strange eerie calmness this AM as well.

I am leaving for the cape on Saturday morning, crack of dawn. Staying at a house 100 yards from the cape cod bay in Eastham. It has plenty of elevation. Come east, baby!

Very cool, have a good ride down. Decided I'm leaving around 3-5am this morning for E. Falmouth, Not 100 yards from the ocean, but around 2000 ft. CT chase is a little too pricey and far this time around.

Agree, come east a little. :)

I was thinking of shooting down towards either Wareham or Dartmouth. I would probably go to the Cape but I have work Monday afternoon and don't know about bridge closures and such, or how many trees will be in my way. I don't really know what to expect and will probably realize being so close to the coast is a bad idea. Whatever, how often am I gonna get so see this **** though?

I can't imagine how many trees are gonna be down. Last heavy wind event I remember was Feb 26, 2010 where KLWM gusted in the low 60s and there were trees down every few streets. That was with the trees bare, too. At the coast, Irene will probably have a few gusts over 100mph, and I'd bet sustained winds around 50mph gusting 60-70mph north of Boston Sunday night.

Very cool, have a good ride down. Decided I'm leaving around 3-5am this morning for E. Falmouth, Not 100 yards from the ocean, but around 2000 ft. CT chase is a little too pricey and far this time around.

Agree, come east a little. :)

nice, enjoy

I would love to be at the coast, but need to hold down the fort here

what do you think about your area? think damage will rival the Feb 2010 wind event?

not so sure, seeing as that's my only wind event at this location it's all I have to go on. That was with bare trees and saturated ground and 70ish winds. Pretty heavy tree damage in the area especially low spots that got mushy. Definitely won't be surprised if this matches or exceeds it, but a long way from counting on anything.

I wish I had a better idea of what we'll experience up here.. My first inland storm. I don't know how a typical tc, let alone this one translate to the ground up here.

Archived