• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Hurricane Irene

earthlight

Serious question...assuming the 12z GFS track is close to reality, what are the chances of mandatory evacuations for the coastal zones of S.I//Brooklyn/Queens?

My grandparents are in Zone B, which is "Residents in Zone B may experience storm surge flooding from a MODERATE (Category 2 or higher) hurricane"

Wondering whether I should call and let them know.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is starting to get serious..so many runs putting NYC under water..omg.. hoboken really needs to prepare the boats..cause that area only with a normal rain event it's already converted into a river

I lived in Hoboken for 5 years and after a bunch of rain they close the drainage systems and it backs up onto the streets.

Serious question...assuming the 12z GFS track is close to reality, what are the chances of mandatory evacuations for the coastal zones of S.I//Brooklyn/Queens?

My grandparents are in Zone B, which is "Residents in Zone B may experience storm surge flooding from a MODERATE (Category 2 or higher) hurricane"

do you have a link to these zones?

The trajectory it takes would do serious damage up and down the Jersey coast, thru NYC and then LI.

Indeed it would. Worst possible scenario for storm surge. And it makes sense, too. The ridging will push this thing due north, and the trough will "absorb" the storm slightly, so it'll even go NNW. But at a certain latitude, which will most likely be just south of Long Island (and it'll be just south of western Long Island or Queens at this point), the trough won't be phasing anymore, since it's not strong enough to completely phase the storm in, and the ridge will have slightly less influence, so the storm would then make a NE turn and make landfall somewhere between eastern Nassau and Central Suffolk (in this scenario!). But since it comes so close to Long Island and Queens before making this turn, the storm surge would be tremendous.

The Mayor is going to decide either tonight or tomorrow if an evacuation needs to be made.

Mandatory evacuation in urban areas (especially in NYC) is so complicated and nearly impossible, I highly doubt they would unless the situation was dire. I could definitely see a voluntary evacuation for coastal portions of New Jersey, Long Island, and flood zones in Manhattan/Staten Island.

It may only be a Cat 1 hurricane by the time it gets up here, but it will still be a very large storm and the surge potential could be at least a Category higher like with Katrina or Ike.

you can never go wrong by preparing for a catagory higher than whats predicted.

and I can tell you as a first responder, if you think your in danger, leave before the worst of the weather hits, the NYPD, FDNY are going to be absolutly inundated with rescue calls ect. and the last thing they need is one more call on there list. Be smart about it before its too late.

As expected

fop.jpg

This could be an unprecedented historical flood for the Raritan River Basin...looking at the NJ storm surge maps...the Raritan would overflow it's banks from a Cat 1/2 hurricane...this does NOT include the 10"+ of rain that would occur on top of the storm surge.

Archived