• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Heaviest Hurricane Remnants to hit NE?

snowNH

With the possibility of a 'cane striking the east coast in 7-10 days and a trough in place over the east coast, I wanted to know which hurricane remnants have dropped a lot of rain over NE? Wasn't there major flooding in WMA and SWNH a couple years back from a 'cane's remnants?

Post images and loops if you got them!

With the possibility of a 'cane striking the east coast in 7-10 days and a trough in place over the east coast, I wanted to know which hurricane remnants have dropped a lot of rain over NE? Wasn't there major flooding in WMA and SWNH a couple years back from a 'cane's remnants?

Post images and loops if you got them!

Yes Tammy in 2005 (I believe it was Tammy) dropped a ton of rain in NJ and up through sw NH. The flash flood deaths in Alstead NH were the result of it.

I know this was mentioned before, but the Hurricane of '38 not only brought up its own heavy rainfall, but a trough was stalled across the region for the better part of the week before. Very heavy rainfall from that as well.

Found this on HPC's website:

http://www.hpc.ncep....xpress1938.html

Of course, as we know about hurricanes as they accelerate up the east coast, the heaviest rain shifts to the west of the center of the storm. Though, looking at the map above, it's interesting to see the heavy rain into the Connecticut valley.

This is also on the NWS BOX website. This is a really nice review of rainfall distribution with transitioning tropical systems (of course by DRV).

http://www.erh.noaa....ion_LFTC_NE.pdf

--Turtle

1955 was insane westfield river crested at 34.20 which is unheard of!!!!

to give you an idea of how bad it was 20ft is a life threatening flood

Sounds like 4/1987 on the Kennebec, which crested at 34.5' in Augusta. Flood stage is 12'.

Not up to CT/MA records for 8/55, but Canistear Reservior in NW NJ had nearly 22" that August, including 11" from Connie and 8" from Diane. Until I see a bigger number (9/1999?), I'll view that as the wettest month in NJ records.

Archived