Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
August 12-? Severe Weather

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Witness reporting it was said over the loudspeaker that severe weather was coming only 20 seconds before the stage collapsed. If that's the case, a lot of people are in some big time trouble. Don't know why the event wasn't canceled when it was obvious severe weather was coming.

Witness reporting it was said over the loudspeaker that severe weather was coming only 20 seconds before the stage collapsed. If that's the case, a lot of people are in some big time trouble. Don't know why the event wasn't canceled when it was obvious severe weather was coming.

I was thinking the same thing as i was reading the posts here. When you have a situation like this and severe weather is possible, you would think they would pay extra attention to give more time to get everyone to safety before the storms moved in. Someone dropped the ball on this one. Truely sad.

Crazy, just found out my friend at NWS Indy was actually there right next to the Grandstand when that happened. She said the fairgrounds were in contact with the NWS office there every hour and the storm was warned yet nothing was done. Apparently the fairgrounds weren't moving people out at all...and Sugarland barely got off the stage in time.

I wont say too much in the way of their plans but I will say they were very unprepared. It has been stated over and over that they (fair planning comittee) need to have plans for this kind of scenario but they refused to believe it would happen. Always expect the unexpected.

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

858 PM EDT SAT AUG 13 2011

INC011-057-063-097-109-133-140145-

/O.CON.KIND.SV.W.0293.000000T0000Z-110814T0145Z/

BOONE-HAMILTON-HENDRICKS-MARION-MORGAN-PUTNAM-

858 PM EDT SAT AUG 13 2011

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR SOUTHEASTERN

BOONE...HAMILTON...HENDRICKS...MARION...NORTHERN MORGAN AND EAST

CENTRAL PUTNAM COUNTIES UNTIL 945 PM EDT...

AT 853 PM EDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A LINE OF SEVERE

THUNDERSTORMS PRODUCING DESTRUCTIVE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 70 MPH.

THESE STORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM NOBLESVILLE TO

12 MILES NORTHWEST OF MARTINSVILLE...MOVING EAST AT 25 MPH.

A TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTER MEASURED A WIND GUST OF 77 MPH IN

PLAINFIELD 850 PM.

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE NEAR...

MONROVIA...NOBLESVILLE AND CARMEL AROUND 905 PM EDT...

INDIANAPOLIS INT'L AIRPORT...WYNNEDALE...WILLIAMS CREEK AND SPRING

HILL AROUND 910 PM EDT...

CENTERTON...CAMBY...BROAD RIPPLE AND MOORESVILLE AROUND 915 PMEDT...

INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUNDS...CASTLETON...BROOKLYN AND BETHANY AROUND 920 PM EDT...

My other post was bad...sorry.

I was not at work and had nothing to do with this one...but here are the relevant products

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
839 PM EDT SAT AUG 13 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN INDIANAPOLIS HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...
 EASTERN BOONE COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA...
 HAMILTON COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA...
 HENDRICKS COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA...
 MARION COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA...
 NORTHERN MORGAN COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA...
 EAST CENTRAL PUTNAM COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL INDIANA...

* UNTIL 945 PM EDT

* AT 835 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
 LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE
 HAIL...AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH.  THESE STORMS WERE
 LOCATED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM 9 MILES NORTH OF ZIONSVILLE TO
 GREENCASTLE...AND MOVING EAST AT 25 MPH.

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE NEAR...
 SHERIDAN...PITTSBORO AND COATESVILLE AROUND 845 PM EDT...
 DANVILLE AND AMO AROUND 850 PM EDT...
 BELLE UNION...ZIONSVILLE...STILESVILLE AND BROWNSBURG AROUND 855 PM
 EDT...
 LITTLE POINT...EMINENCE...WESTFIELD AND CLAYTON AROUND 900 PM
 EDT...
 MORSE RESERVOIR AND EAGLE CREEK RESERVOIR AROUND 905 PM EDT...

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 65 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 102 AND 137.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 69 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 0 AND 10.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 70 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 36 AND 93.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 74 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 57 AND 99.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS PRODUCE DAMAGING WIND IN EXCESS OF 60 MILES PER
HOUR...DESTRUCTIVE HAIL...DEADLY LIGHTNING...AND VERY HEAVY RAIN. FOR
YOUR PROTECTION MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF YOUR
HOME OR BUSINESS. HEAVY RAINS FLOOD ROADS QUICKLY SO DO NOT DRIVE
INTO AREAS WHERE WATER COVERS THE ROAD.

&&

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT...CORRECTED
1015 PM EDT SAT AUG 13 2011

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION... 	...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
           ..REMARKS..

0850 PM 	TSTM WND DMG 	INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUN 39.83N 86.13W
08/13/2011           		MARION     		IN   NWS EMPLOYEE

*** 4 FATAL *** STAGE COLLAPSE DURING CONCERT...MULTIPLE
           INJURIES...CORONER ON SCENE...WINDS ESTIMATED BETWEEN 60
           AND 70 MPH.

&&

WTHR reporting that an announcement had been made that IF severe weather approaches, people were to evacuate to the Pepsi Center. That announcement never came. And people were still in place when the stage collapsed. If that's the case, look out, a lot of lawsuits coming. They only had 11-15 minutes from the time the warning was issued, to the time the winds hit, but these storms were warned for counties well west of the Indy Metro, all the way in. 60 mph winds in counties to the west, were first reported around 7:30 local time. And the area was in a Severe Watch from 6pm local time. From a 1st responder standpoint, completely uncalled for, if the right steps were taken by the people running the show, this would have never happened.

WTHR reporting that an announcement had been made that IF severe weather approaches, people were to evacuate to the Pepsi Center. That announcement never came. And people were still in place when the stage collapsed. If that's the case, look out, a lot of lawsuits coming. They only had 11-15 minutes from the time the warning was issued, to the time the winds hit, but these storms were warned for counties well west of the Indy Metro, all the way in. 60 mph winds in counties to the west, were first reported around 7:30 local time. And the area was in a Severe Watch from 6pm local time. From a 1st responder standpoint, completely uncalled for, if the right steps were taken by the people running the show, this would have never happened.

Let me go a step further. I don't think it should have mattered if the storms were severe or not. The fact is storms were coming and they should have told everyone to get inside well before they moved in. You can't take a chance with lightning severe or not.

Who knows the exact details, but needless to say Fair organizers going to be under the gun for this debacle. Just a terrible tragedy.

On another note watching the various Indy TV channels, boo to the [expletive] anchor on WISH-TV using this occasion to say that we told you severe weather was possible tonight, earlier in the day. Not the time or moment to pimp your weather "expertise".

Person who's wife is a doctor and helped injured people after the collapse, just said live on WTHR that there was NO evac order issued, and the announcement said that Sugarland was going to try and get some songs in before the storms hit. The video that WTHR just showed verifies that, looked like NOBODY was moving until the stage collapsed.

Who knows the exact details, but needless to say Fair organizers going to be under the gun for this debacle. Just a terrible tragedy.

On another note watching the various Indy TV channels, boo to the [expletive] anchor on WISH-TV using this occasion to say that we told you severe weather was possible tonight, earlier in the day. Not the time or moment to pimp your weather "expertise".

They actually said "we told you"?

They actually said "we told you"?

Not exactly, but the guy (anchor, not the TV met) was basically saying we were all over this severe threat as early as last night. Gave me the impression that he was trying to laud their excellent weather forecasting well before the event, almost to the point they knew 60-70+ MPH would hit the fairgrounds. Just kind of tacky in this situation IMO.

Not exactly, but the guy (anchor, not the TV met) was basically saying we were all over this severe threat as early as last night. Gave me the impression that he was trying to laud their excellent weather forecasting well before the event, almost to the point they knew 60-70+ MPH would hit the fairgrounds. Just kind of tacky in this situation IMO.

have the "we had no warning!" people sprung up yet? Maybe he was just trying to say that they indeed had warning.

Crazy, just found out my friend at NWS Indy was actually there right next to the Grandstand when that happened. She said the fairgrounds were in contact with the NWS office there every hour and the storm was warned yet nothing was done. Apparently the fairgrounds weren't moving people out at all...and Sugarland barely got off the stage in time.

wow .... besides what looks like inept decision makers, look for a call for these kind of stage set ups everywhere to meet better wind load thresholds.

have the "we had no warning!" people sprung up yet? Maybe he was just trying to say that they indeed had warning.

Maybe. Don't know. Just reeked of poor taste the way he was talking about it in my view.

Indiana State Police reporting 3 dead, maybe 4. 24 or more injured right now.

http://www.wthr.com/story/15262930/stage-collapses-at-state-fairgrounds

wow .... besides what looks like inept decision makers, look for a call for these kind of stage set ups everywhere to meet better wind load thresholds.

Just reading that WTHR article it sounds like there were the beginnings of an evacuation, but it was poorly planned. A few excerpts.

"State police say they were watching severe weather on radar and were carrying out an evacuation order when the stage collapsed.Concertgoer Emily Davis, said that officials mentioned an evacuation plan, but never made an announcement to leave the scene. She said the accident happened very fast.

"They said, if need be, this is what we're going to do and somebody will come back out and tell you, but they didn't have time to come back out and tell us," she said."

"Charlie Morgan from Hank FM, which sponsored the concert, believes it was wind shear that caused the collapse."

People are saying that they made an announcement, a few minutes before the winds hit. The main issue I seen is that they did not evacuate the VIP section. WISH-TV was trying protray that they had been discussing the chance of severe wx wince last night. Very sad event.

Just reading that WTHR article it sounds like there were the beginnings of an evacuation, but it was poorly planned.

"State police say they were watching severe weather on radar and were carrying out an evacuation order when the stage collapsed.Concertgoer Emily Davis, said that officials mentioned an evacuation plan, but never made an announcement to leave the scene. She said the accident happened very fast.

"They said, if need be, this is what we're going to do and somebody will come back out and tell you, but they didn't have time to come back out and tell us," she said."

"Charlie Morgan from Hank FM, which sponsored the concert, believes it was wind shear that caused the collapse."

This is just careless IMO. Like i said earlier severe or not, they knew storms were coming and should have gotten people to safety well before the storms moved in. I went through something like this about 20 years ago. I was at a town festival that was at a park by a church when a line of severe storms moved in with probably 70mph winds. There was no warning given to us so we were all under the tents which blew over and at that point we were told to make a run for the church basement. As far as i know no one was injured which was lucky. It just takes some advanced warning to avoid these things.

Archived