Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Invest 92L

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.atmos.was...latest.cgi?ir-e

that picture tells alot about the future of 92L. huge low still anchored in the nw atlantic(bad), large trough south of the low(bad). another front moving off the coast(bad). what this doesnt show is all the dry air in the atlantic. another point of interest is emily's fate. similar to last season conditions close to the US are horrid for development. i compare that to alex of 2004 which became a strong cane as it developed in close to NC.

all signs right now point to 92L recurving should it develop. lets look and see if that nw atlantic low can be replaced with a high.

*once again checking the 384 gfs it shows a complete opposite pattern with high pressure in the nw atlantic. we all know its too far out to hang a hat on, but its a good sign.

I agree with your thinking on 92L, but I'd say that if a positive nao develops then chances go way up for a landfall. Right now the ecmwf has more ridging from 72-168 hours then the gfs within the western Atlantic west of 60, so I'd expect looking at things at face value that this system shall move west-northwestward through the next 72 hours, but with slow development as the trough at 30-40 west may provide shear over it throughout the next 36 hours with strong easterly shear at the low levels. I wouldn't expect much development for the next 36-48 hours until it gets to around 40-45 west...Afterwards the gfs and ecmwf build more ridging to the north of this system and steer it west-northwestward to at least 60-65 west...216-240 hour time frame appears to be a toss up as models show some troughing within the area, but if we can get a positive nao that may change. Both Ike, Isabel got pretty far north before a ridge built and pushed them westward. (15-18 north)

shocking

Why shocking? There has been a trough off the east coast all this season and models right now show that remaining so as this system gets into the central and western Atlantic. Seriously, I'm agreeing with rainstorm as the odds as they stand right now is for it to recurve, but I'm also saying that if a positive nao can develop then more ridging may do a Isabel, ect like set up.

What doesn't make any sense to you?

Why shocking? There has been a trough off the east coast all this season and models right now show that remaining so as this system gets into the central and western Atlantic. Seriously, I'm agreeing as the odds as they stand right now is for it to recurve, but I'm also saying that if a positive nao can develop then more ridging may do a Isabel, ect like set up.

you're up rainstorm's butt 24/7

The NHC 48-hour formation potential map depicts areas of interest with three levels of concern of TCgenesis: low (yellow), medium (orange), and high (red). People like to call low-risk areas "lemons" because lemons are yellow, medium "oranges/mandarins", and high "cherry".

Thanks... I noticed that NHC doesn't have a lemon yet...

you're up rainstorm's butt 24/7

What do you seriously disagree with? I've went against rainstorm a lot of times. I think the east coast could get hit this season and rainstorm doesn't. I've been rainstorms friend for over a decade and I'd like you to tell me what do you disagree with?

Seriously what do you disagree with in a pattern sense of things.

. I think the east coast could get hit this season and rainstorm doesn't.

Joseph D'Aleo also seems to agree... he points to the fact that when the AMO is positive and the PDO is negative, you generally get East Coast storms.

The warm Atlantic and cold Pacific usually mean an east coast landfall. The analogs and model forecasts suggests the trough which has been off the east coast moves inland far enough to threaten trouble for the east coast.

These troughs amplify than lift out leaving a weakness a storm in the waters off the east coast can penetrate. The Carolinas and the coast further north including New Jersey and New York are vulnerable. This region is is overdue. This summer was a lot like the 1954 and 1955 summers.

Source

Joseph D'Aleo also seems to agree... he points to the fact that when the AMO is positive and the PDO is negative, you generally get East Coast storms.

Larry Cosgrove says the same thing on Facebook. He thinks the Carolinas north are ripe for a landfall this year.

Larry Cosgrove says the same thing on Facebook. He thinks the Carolinas north are ripe for a landfall this year.

Yep... the years that D'Aleo mentioned as analogues as part of the pattern that we are currently experiencing had a lot of East Coast landfalls.

Hurricane Carol, which made landfall in E. LI as a Category 2 Hurricane,

800px-Carol_1954_track.png

Hurricane Edna passed just to the east of North Carolina before making landfall in New England as a Category 1 Hurricane,

618px-Edna_1954_track.png

Hurricane Hazel hit the Carolina coastline, as a Category 3 Hurricane,

699px-Hazel_1954_track.png

Hurricane Connie in 1955,

800px-Connie_1955_track.png

Hurricane Diane in 1955,

786px-Diane_1955_track.png

The East Coast is due for a major storm, and this year might just give that overdue storm.

Yep... the years that D'Aleo mentioned as analogues as part of the pattern that we are currently experiencing had a lot of East Coast landfalls.

Hurricane Carol, which made landfall in E. LI as a Category 2 Hurricane,

Hurricane Edna passed just to the east of North Carolina before making landfall in New England as a Category 1 Hurricane,

Hurricane Hazel hit the Carolina coastline, as a Category 3 Hurricane,

Hurricane Connie in 1955,

Hurricane Diane in 1955,

The East Coast is due for a major storm, and this year might just give that overdue storm.

Those tracks are not the best source of historical data-- they're don't reflect the latest reanalysis research.

Based on the most-recent research done by the most-reputable experts on Atlantic 'canes:

Carol was a Cat 3 in NY & RI (and a Cat 2 in CT & MA).

Edna was a Cat 3 in MA (and a Cat 1 in NY & RI).

Hazel was a Cat 4 in NC (and a Cat 3 in SC).

That's interesting, the dictionaries have a word that you claim does not exist...

Not having a major storm impacting the entire East Coast for at least 50 years is considered to be "overdue" in my book.

I meant in a meteorological sense. We go over this ad infinitum every season. There is no such thing as overdue.

That's interesting, the dictionaries have a word that you claim does not exist...

Not having a major storm impacting the entire East Coast for at least 50 years is considered to be "overdue" in my book.

In tropical meteorology, there is no such thing as "overdue". It is a fictitious and irrelevant concept when discussing return periods for hurricanes in specific locations.

Okay, that's fine if you think that. I will rephrase my statement for you: "this year will bring an east coast storm that hasn't happened for around 50 years."

That's an even more ridiculous assertion.

Go back a couple days to when the D'Aleo article was being discussed around here...no need to rehash how loltastic his claims are.

In tropical meteorology, there is no such thing as "overdue". It is a fictitious and irrelevant concept when discussing return periods for hurricanes in specific locations.

That really applies to any event in meteorology. Anytime you hear anything about something being a once is so many years event, that's just a way of conveying the year-to-year probability of it occurring, not that it will actually happen once every so many years. For instance, if some says that the 4/27 outbreak in AL was a once in 10,000 year outbreak (not sure if that's the return rate but it's probably not terribly far off) for the state, then the year-to-year probability of it occurring is 0.01%, but the probability of it happening again next year will be the exact same as the probability of it happening 10,000 years from now.

Mother nature doesn't owe anyone crap

Yes if it's been snowing for 48hrs hrs on the east coast your due for the snow to end. But that has to due with the evolution cycle of an extratropical cyclone. They weaken or move after 48 hrs.

Hence the longer it snows the more likely it is the snow will end.

Your due for some cold weather in January and warm weather in July, There's a physical reason for that as well.

But you're never overdue for a Hurricane or a HECS, they are random, not periodic.

Okay, that's fine if you think that. I will rephrase my statement for you: "this year will bring an east coast storm that hasn't happened for around 50 years."

There is no such thing as "overdue." (in a meteorological sense, to be PC about it)

There is only "statistically more/less favorable" based on what little we know of the climatology. While the current long-term pattern may be more favorable for an EC landfall, the chance of occurrence remains independent on a case-by-case basis. To rephrase, just because we've had no EC landfalls in X years does not make it any more or less likely that we'll have one any given time in the future.

In a similar fashion, the history of dice rolls have no impact on future dice rolls. So if you roll 28 9's in a row, you have no greater chance of rolling a 9 on the next roll. Even if south FL were to not see even tropical storm force winds in a centuries time, there is no greater chance the next season for a storm to strike there. Overdue is not something that works when talking about weather.

Archived