joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
18z Model Discussion

MJO812

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I wouldn't think it would be so amplified as the Euro suggests, it is a La Nina, the blocking is lackluster for the storm, so I would favor a more progressive pattern which would allow the storm to get further east.

Does this make sense to anyone?

IF it is, then that can very well explain why the surface low is cutting inland.... I seen the GFS, it has a classic block and real time data also shows that.

its going to be interesting. I think tony posted a composite on another site how the gfs and euro on top of each other are verifying with the heights and postions. The euro is actually verifying better with the block

Yeah, similar to previous ens. At least many of them are not as west as the Euro.

Apparently the satellite failure also affected the 12z and 18z models limiting the data being given to them according to reports on the accuweather forums - so they are junk

The EPO and transient block on the Euro are the biggest factors. A big PNA ridge in this set up would amplify the shortwave too far west, if you ask me.

http://www.meteo.psu...VN_18z/f150.gif

then why do we always want a pos pna then? Wouldnt that always be the case? It would carve out a big trof over the central states then on the rebound on the east coast. I mean i guess it would all come down to where the ridge axis is actually.

then why do we always want a pos pna then? Wouldnt that always be the case? It would carve out a big trof over the central states then on the rebound on the east coast. I mean i guess it would all come down to where the ridge axis is actually.

You want a positive PNA to get the storm to come up the coast but you want a decent block and 50/50 low to keep it from cutting too close or to the west of us.

The EPO and transient block on the Euro are the biggest factors. A big PNA ridge in this set up would amplify the shortwave too far west, if you ask me.

http://www.meteo.psu...VN_18z/f150.gif

It depends where the ridge is setup, if the ridge is setup too far west with a good portion of it centered off the West Coast then yes that would happen....in this case I am still thinking the storm either go west or out to sea....its hard to ignore the out to sea scenario since we've had trouble sustaining any sort of western ridge so far for long periods...if the ridge does indeed flatten back out this storm is going out to sea...if not its going west...unless the NAO block remains further west.

Archived