joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
18z Model Discussion

MJO812

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

absolutely...but you dont think people would do it anyway? especially after last year :arrowhead:

One would think people would learn, especially after debacles such as February 2007, January 2008, and December 2009 where the guidance was off by hundreds of miles within 72 hours of the event. The only thing these model runs are useful for is pattern progression, if you ask me.

esp the one in 08 or 07 with the becs going into ohio valley....we all know what happened there...

How about February 2007? A significant, borderline historical snowstorm was being advertised by most guidance for the Mid Atlantic as close as 72 hours away from the event. It was at that point that things went haywire.

January 2008, supposed to be a coastal bomb and evaporational cooling event. As near as 60 hours prior to the event, the NAM and GFS both gave me upwards of 12" of snow. Heavy snow warnings were issued. I had light drizzle and flurries with a half an inch of slop.

December 2009 worked the other way, but the GFS was showing a high chance of cirrus and nothing more 72 hours before the event, which wound up giving me a foot of snow.

These things can change so dramatically, and the patterns are so fragile, that the guidance at this range can only be defined as just that. Guidance. This forum has improved dramatically with it's analysis and attitude towards these things, though, I have to say. Hopefully this pattern can deliver..

How about February 2007? A significant, borderline historical snowstorm was being advertised by most guidance for the Mid Atlantic as close as 72 hours away from the event. It was at that point that things went haywire.

January 2008, supposed to be a coastal bomb and evaporational cooling event. As near as 60 hours prior to the event, the NAM and GFS both gave me upwards of 12" of snow. Heavy snow warnings were issued. I had light drizzle and flurries with a half an inch of slop.

December 2009 worked the other way, but the GFS was showing a high chance of cirrus and nothing more 72 hours before the event, which wound up giving me a foot of snow.

These things can change so dramatically, and the patterns are so fragile, that the guidance at this range can only be defined as just that. Guidance. This forum has improved dramatically with it's analysis and attitude towards these things, though, I have to say. Hopefully this pattern can deliver..

February 2007 was forecasted to be a blizzard 3 days before the storm.:axe:

January 2008 was just horrible. What a big bust. I didn't even see a flake and we were predicted to get 6-12 inches. The storm bombed out too late.

February 2007 was forecasted to be a blizzard 3 days before the storm.:axe:

January 2008 was just horrible. What a big bust. I didn't even see a flake and we were predicted to get 6-12 inches. The storm bombed out too late.

LOL @ JAN 2008. Everyone who says I have a snowy bias forgets my post on the boards that afternoon, when I called for 1-2" at most. HOW would it snow here when it was above freezing in parts of VERMONT?

At least Feb 2007 stayed frozen. Could have been worse!

LOL @ JAN 2008. Everyone who says I have a snowy bias forgets my post on the boards that afternoon, when I called for 1-2" at most. HOW would it snow here when it was above freezing in parts of VERMONT?

Everyone was expecting the storm to bomb out just south of LI. It ended up bombing out in SNE.:thumbsdown:

I still consider that less of a bust than Jan 2008, because at least we did get a fairly high-impact frozen event.

and it stayed below freezing throughout the event.  That storm and St Pattys Day storm made that an ok winter.  The Tax Day storm-- wish that had occurred earlier so we could have had three major frozen events that winter.

and it stayed below freezing throughout the event. That storm and St Pattys Day storm made that an ok winter. The Tax Day storm-- wish that had occurred earlier so we could have had three major frozen events that winter.

"THE YEAR OF SLEET"

That was the year I learned how to forecast sleet to water ratios, 3:1 lol.

and it stayed below freezing throughout the event. That storm and St Pattys Day storm made that an ok winter. The Tax Day storm-- wish that had occurred earlier so we could have had three major frozen events that winter.

Never in my life I saw sleet with temps in the teens.

Archived