• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Ohio And Great Lakes Including (PA,KY,WVA,IN)!

Steve

same thing I thought, only hope we could have with that map, and albeit a slight chance still, would be if that low went due east, it couldnt come any further north than that, and even then I think it'd be too close.

I don't see much of a chance that we get the heavy snow axis, but some decent wrap around snow would be better than this thing cutting up towards Chicago and getting flurries at best on the back side.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think no matter what, even if it bowls east underneath us, there would be a warm tongue at least trying to lick us. It would really have to dive south, like down to southern arkansas and then swing up to our east, which is about as likely as the bengals going to the superbowl. Since this originates from the northwest, a ridge popping out front is gonna be part of the package. Our best chance at accum is if it winds up to our east, slows down and doesn't transfer.

another thing to be concerned with is when these suckers close off at 500 and truly bowl west to east....you might be able to avoid the warm tongue but then get socked with the dry slot.... These northern stream phasers are notoriously chockful of potential kiljoy scenarios.

another thing to be concerned with is when these suckers close off at 500 and truly bowl west to east....you might be able to avoid the warm tongue but then get socked with the dry slot.... These northern stream phasers are notoriously chockful of potential kiljoy scenarios.

So you are saying if it occludes early enough to avoid the worst of the WTOD, then you get the dry slot?

So you are saying if it occludes early enough to avoid the worst of the WTOD, then you get the dry slot?

has happened before. December '05 (i think). Big ole bowling ball approaches from west. Snowing like hell in IN, thundersnow reported in cincy, then right after the snow begins to fall in columbus it got cutoff...:axe:

has happened before. December '05 (i think). Big ole bowling ball approaches from west. Snowing like hell in IN, thundersnow reported in cincy, then right after the snow begins to fall in columbus it got cutoff...:axe:

Dry slots hit us more often than not. I think we get dry slotted more than we get the WTOD, Was it 02 that we were supposed to get the huge storm on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day. I believe local mets were calling for like 10" or something crazy and a dryslot opened up right over Cental Ohio and we got nothing but a dusting? I think it was 01 or 02.

Dry slots hit us more often than not. I think we get dry slotted more than we get the WTOD, Was it 02 that we were supposed to get the huge storm on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day. I believe local mets were calling for like 10" or something crazy and a dryslot opened up right over Cental Ohio and we got nothing but a dusting? I think it was 01 or 02.

ugggggh xmas eve '02.....awful. We got WTOD AND Dryslotted....everything that could possibly go wrong with that storm went wrong....then it was made so much worse that it was on xmas eve

ugggggh xmas eve '02.....awful. We got WTOD AND Dryslotted....everything that could possibly go wrong with that storm went wrong....then it was made so much worse that it was on xmas eve

columbus NEVER comes out well with storms that come up and then reform or jump to the coast. Our geography sucks for that because we are the last place west of the apps before the storms decide to transfer. They come in from the west or southwest full steam ahead and then begin to transfer right as they get to us.

In love with the EC, are you? I'm still waiting for my 4"+ that the EC had us getting with the clipper this past weekend. I'm not trusting the European globals right now, neither is HPC.

In love with it, no. But I'm uncomfortable having only the GFS on our side. GFS ensembles are further north, and Euro's ensembles are further south, but even so, most of them would put the WTOD right into the state and areas closer to I-80 would be seeing the snow, not us. Also, climo screams against this pretty strongly. I was positive about the clipper and it was a huge fail, so I'll be negative about this storm and see if the opposite happens again.

Why did the GFS have to go north?!

Because it's far south solution was not going to happen. I just said in the other thread that perhaps the track along or just south of the Ohio River is the way to go, considering all the ensemble support, the HPC track, etc. But it wouldn't be good for us in Ohio. Too much WAA.

Because it's far south solution was not going to happen. I just said in the other thread that perhaps the track along or just south of the Ohio River is the way to go, considering all the ensemble support, the HPC track, etc. But it wouldn't be good for us in Ohio. Too much WAA.

I am wondering if we might be able to hang on to some shallow cold air north of Columbus where we would see ice/ snow rather than rain/snow.

GFS per BUFK is not as bad as I was thinking, but obviously not as good as it was showing earlier... and headed in the wrong directon. But here is the 12z for Ohio cities.

Columbus

0.15" Rain

.04" Sleet

.01" Freezing Rain

0.47" Snow

Cincinnati

0.26" Rain

0.40" Sleet

0.60" Snow

Cleveland

0.10" Sleet

0.01" Freezing Rain

1.08" Snow

So it looks like not a lot of rain for anyone, but there's an obvious dry slot through Central Ohio. Would be probably 4-7" in Columbus, 6-9" for Cincinnati, and a foot or so for Cleveland.

GFS per BUFK is not as bad as I was thinking, but obviously not as good as it was showing earlier... and headed in the wrong directon. But here is the 12z for Ohio cities.

Columbus

0.15" Rain

.04" Sleet

.01" Freezing Rain

0.47" Snow

Cincinnati

0.26" Rain

0.40" Sleet

0.60" Snow

Cleveland

0.10" Sleet

0.01" Freezing Rain

1.08" Snow

So it looks like not a lot of rain for anyone, but there's an obvious dry slot through Central Ohio. Would be probably 4-7" in Columbus, 6-9" for Cincinnati, and a foot or so for Cleveland.

If 1/2 a foot ends up being my worse case scenario I will be content. Unfortunately with 4-5 days before the storm arrives the models will have more than enough time to "adjust" north. Crossin the fingers!

If 1/2 a foot ends up being my worse case scenario I will be content. Unfortunately with 4-5 days before the storm arrives the models will have more than enough time to "adjust" north. Crossin the fingers!

Yep, that's the point, the 12z run went in the wrong direction. Watching what the other models do, but there's just too much time for things to go either way. Honestly I don't know what will happen, but I would not put money on the south track.

Archived