• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Upstate NY / North Country Winter 2010 Thread 1

I have been watching that time-frame as well. I was curious what the Euro was doing. GFS has been hinting at something around that time frame for a few days. At least something to watch, and I will be in Redfield so I have my fingers crossed.

Euro also has a nice EC storm at hour 192-216....:

f192.gif

f216.gif

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for your thoughts Andy! I in no way meant to "call you out", as I know you have far more going on in life than posting herelaugh.gif .

To those of us in the "upper hudson valley" / SE / SECentral Adirondacks you are by far the best resourcethumbsupsmileyanim.gif

We'll see what the next few days bring. Being dry slotted for once may not be so bad.

Thank you for the compliment. I didn't feel like I was being called out at all. I'm fine. I have 3 projects that I'm working on right now, I wish I could post a lot more here but I am prioritize things at this point in time.

Freezing Rain Warning for:

Montréal Island area ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA AT 3:44 PM EST Saturday 11 December 2010 Summary

A freezing rain event of at least 2 hours is expected over these regions beginning Sunday afternoon.

Details

A low pressure system that is intensifying Southwest of the Great Lakes will affect the province of Québec Sunday and Monday. Preceded by a warm front, it will move across the province of Québec from Gatineau region on Sunday to lie near Labrador on Tuesday. Heavy snowfall associated with this storm will begin over Western Québec Sunday morning and spread toward the northern regions. Between 15 and 30 centimetres of snow are expected over western and Northern Québec. Moreover, strong northeasterly winds will intensify over these regions during the day, causing blowing snow and strongly reducing visibilities. Ahead of the warm front, a freezing rain event will begin Sunday afternoon over Southern Québec and should last a few hours especially along the Ottawa Valley and the St Lawrence. About 5 millimetres of freezing precipitation are expected. The warm front will then move northeastward in the evening. Behind it, precipitations will change into rain.

This rain better not destroy all the snowpack.

gun_bandana.gifgun_bandana.gifgun_bandana.gif

Some of it will go....but we should still have a good 8-12" of solid, glaciated snow....that when frozen, will created a nice elevated, firm surface to pile another 20" or so onto next week.....and with a bit more in the way of wind this go around, I think roads in the area will be a bit more difficult to traverse due to some blowing and drifting back into the roads. Good times ahead in LES country!! And a couple synoptic interests thrown in there as well for many more of us.

NWS ALB

EXPECT

THAT ALL AREAS WILL SEE A TRANSITION TO SNOW ON MONDAY ALTHOUGH

MOST AREAS WILL SEE LITTLE IN THE WAY OF ACCUMULATION AS QPF

AMOUNTS AT THIS POINT WILL GENERALLY BE LESS THAN A TENTH OF AN

INCH. THE EXCEPTION WILL AREAS FROM THE MOHAWK VALLEY NORTH WHERE

SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW IS EXPECTED THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT. ALTHOUGH

THE SYNOPTIC SCALE PCPN WILL BE TRANSITIONING TO LAKE EFFECT

MONDAY NIGHT. EXPECT LOW TEMPS ON MONDAY NIGHT TO BE IN THE UPPER

SINGLE DIGITS NORTHWEST TO UPPER TEENS SOUTHEAST

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=ALY&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

This storm is a bust for us I think. game over. :arrowhead::axe: Temperature of around 30-31F at my place. At the rate we're going we'll get all rain.

Same here...Temp is 25...I will get a little FR to start before it changes over to all rain tomorrow morning. We will get some snow on the backside but not much....The LES setup doesn't look good for most of the Tug. looks like SYR and south of BUF will cash in again.

This storm is a bust for us I think. game over. :arrowhead::axe: Temperature of around 30-31F at my place. At the rate we're going we'll get all rain.

It's currently about 27 F in Montreal, and unfortunately this storm is a bust for both of our respective areas, but I had already written this storm off a couple of days ago when I could clearly see the signs that the trend was definitely not our friend.. :gun_bandana:

Cheers,

Scratch

Friday night I went up to Greek Peak and found really nice conditions and snow that deposited about an inch on top of the the already nice powdery snow. The winds were unusually out of the south and the temps were about 25 degrees with steady snow. I wasn't complaining. There had not yet been a thaw, so there was no ice anywhere...just really nice soft conditions on all the open trails. They were making snow on most of the other trails that weren't open.

163252_479594024659_578169659_5531314_3365517_n.jpg

Saturday we went to Bear Swamp, which is near the south end of Skaneateles Lake. They got plenty of snow off of Lake Ontario last week. 2 feet in some places. By the time we got there the snowpack shrunk a little, but there was plenty of snow for us to enjoy for a good outing.

68177_480064054659_578169659_5538023_3548951_n.jpg

162906_480064534659_578169659_5538024_7865161_n.jpg

39440_480066064659_578169659_5538060_2189427_n.jpg

Now what's this crap falling out of the sky?:thumbsdown:

Looks like the powdery conditions are over for a while :(

light snow here now in west montreal island.

the freezing rain will obviously be the story with this storm today.

im wondering if mixed precip gets even further north that currently projected, i know they have pembroke down for a foot of snow, will be interesting to see if that ends up being the case, that is an impressive surge of warming at 850

light snow here now in west montreal island.

the freezing rain will obviously be the story with this storm today.

im wondering if mixed precip gets even further north that currently projected, i know they have pembroke down for a foot of snow, will be interesting to see if that ends up being the case, that is an impressive surge of warming at 850

Ec no longer has us getting up to 42F, and has the rain changing back to snow tonight. We'll see what happens. Looks to be a mess on the roads today

Archived