Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Upstate NY / North Country Winter 2010 Thread 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ALB NWS calling for 1-3" QPF with only slight amount as snow. Ground is so hard you could bend a nail in it, so they're calling for localized flooding and ponding arrowheadsmiley.png

so glad I put my winter tires on...

Yeah better to be stuck in the mud instead of snow..... I am glad I changed my mind on getting my snow plow out.I figured if I did get it prepped I would jinx it.That thought did not work either.I will say it was cold this morning.I took my daughter to work for 10 a.m. and it was 11 degrees.The ground is getting solid.Need some decent snow to insulate the ground before the frost gets too deep.

:axe:

The 12z GFS is absolute gold for Toronto with regard to front end snow. A deluge of rain for Ottawa and Montreal. It's going to be tough for those two cities to watch that if it verifies as we love to go on about how we get tougher winters and more snow than Toronto.

how about buffalo :whistle:

I'm trying really hard not to turn into a model whiner like you see in certain unnamed regional threads. I will not post anything like:

1) Gee, I really can't wait for that mild rain on Sunday to wipe away my current 2" snowpack; or

2) Really looking forward to that exciting cold frontal passage on Sunday night followed by 0.003-inch of snow and heavy surface icing; or

3) On the edge of my seat for the wrap around dusting on Monday.

Nope, we don't do that kind of whining in Buffalo....

The GFS has moved the storm more to the NW. The GFS, 12z Euro, and the 12z GGEM are for the most part in agreement. The UKMET has shifted further west. It looks like the models are thinking the s/w will be amplified. If this is true, it will take awhile for wintry precip to start. <BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

Keep trending west and we'll have a backside SW flow lake effect set-up in WNY. I'm sure it won't move that far west, but places on the Tug seem to be in a better posistion for heavy lake effect or upslope snows with the position of the low that far west.

Keep trending west and we'll have a backside SW flow lake effect set-up in WNY. I'm sure it won't move that far west, but places on the Tug seem to be in a better posistion for heavy lake effect or upslope snows with the position of the low that far west.

The more amplified the Short wave the further west this thing will come . Also, the more amplified the s/w the stronger the Warm-air advection will be ahead of it. But remember, when WAA occurs, the wind flow is replacing cold dense air with warm, less dense air. I agree about some places on the Tug getting hit with quite a bit of LES...We missed out on the last one that buried Lake Effect King. Hopefully, this time it will be our turn :snowman::rolleyes::whistle:

Actually there could be ice where you are in the Upper Hudson Valley. By Monday morning bring the parka....we'll be back into the arctic air regardless of what transpires.

I am/was thinking this very thing when I read it.I wonder if with the ground being as solid as it is and the little extra cold we have compared to ALB if it will be a ZR event--I am sure that will be a short term thing not anything big.It looks like it is more of the same weather pattern.

Love it when my 850's are the same as Grand Bahama Island :snowman:

I have no idea why that keeps happening with the plymouth site....I cut and paste the .gif URL and insert it....it comes out fine, then a few minutes later, I get these weird images from other places on the planet......anyone know what I need to do to stop that??

the euro has trended somewhat towards the ukie

not good enough for most but puts ottawa right on the edge of being in the game for at least all frozen precip

Yeah, you are in a little better position than us down here. Just a shift of 50 more miles to the south (or 6 hours quicker in movement) to the shortwave, and the low won't cut as quickly to the north.

Pretty interesting to me that we've been this cold and have a nice cold shot coming up considering how cold it's been in Alaska. More often than not, it seems the temps up there are mild whenever we get a good cold shot. I guess that speaks to the strenght of the -NAO lately.

Check out these "high" temps for the area around Yukon, Alaska over the next few days:

.SATURDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY SOUTH AND EAST OF FORT YUKON.

MOSTLY CLEAR TO THE WEST. HIGHS 15 BELOW TO 50 BELOW...WARMEST

OVER HIGHER TERRAIN AND IN CLOUDY AREAS. LIGHT WINDS.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY SOUTH AND EAST OF FORT YUKON.

ELSEWHERE MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS 25 BELOW TO 55 BELOW...WARMEST

.SUNDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS 20 BELOW TO 50 BELOW...WARMEST

.SUNDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 35 BELOW.

.MONDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 15 BELOW.

.MONDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 25 BELOW.

.TUESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 10 BELOW.

.TUESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW. LOWS NEAR

25 BELOW.

.WEDNESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 20 BELOW.

.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 25 BELOW.

.THURSDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 10 BELOW.

Pretty interesting to me that we've been this cold and have a nice cold shot coming up considering how cold it's been in Alaska. More often than not, it seems the temps up there are mild whenever we get a good cold shot. I guess that speaks to the strenght of the -NAO lately.

Check out these "high" temps for the area around Yukon, Alaska over the next few days:

.SATURDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY SOUTH AND EAST OF FORT YUKON.

MOSTLY CLEAR TO THE WEST. HIGHS 15 BELOW TO 50 BELOW...WARMEST

.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY SOUTH AND EAST OF FORT YUKON.

ELSEWHERE MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS 25 BELOW TO 55 BELOW...WARMEST

.SUNDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS 20 BELOW TO 50 BELOW...WARMEST

.SUNDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 35 BELOW.

.MONDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 15 BELOW.

.MONDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 25 BELOW.

.TUESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 10 BELOW.

.TUESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW. LOWS NEAR

25 BELOW.

.WEDNESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 20 BELOW.

.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 25 BELOW.

.THURSDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 10 BELOW.

lmaosmiley.gif

Archived