• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Upstate NY / North Country Winter 2010 Thread 1

I don't want to sound like a weiny b**ch but this sucks!!! :axe:

One of the things in the past about the Upstate NY threads that separates us from the rest of the board is that (except for flurries) we do not turn this into a complaint forum. Everybody knows rain sucks in December. So do cold patterns with storms missing to the east and south. It makes it much longer to get through the weather info when you have to sift through several complaining posts of no value every page.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes this has been an interesting feature that has been popping up on and off in the models the past couple days, the idea of backside snows...

most of the latest higher res models are now showing a pretty good chance for snow tomorrow in the morning in ottawa valley and slowly spreading east throguh the day, into the montreal area by later evening.

depending on the amount of moisture around, could be a very treacherous day, with falling temps and winds and snow.

this snow could continue on and off throughout the region, in the form of heavier flurries and squalls through tuesday. tough to say accums, but i think their will be some in total.

then we enter THE BLOCK again (cue the music).

Except that the Euro is apparently showing something for us later this week.

3 inches is 3 inches lol. NWS calling for 2-4 tomorrow. 2-4 tomorrow night. And it looks like maybe another 1-3 Tuesday.

I would love to see 3 inches of snow right now that would be 1.5 times my current season total :lol: good luck to you folks in western ny with lake effect the next couple days, i'm hoping for a nice synoptic storm next weekend.

As of right now I am not too excited about the prospects of next weekend's storm being a major player for us. Its still a threat and worthy of watching but right now it looks like a possible miss for most of ENY and points westward.

The only thing that could possible be worse than last year is....well....a repeat. :gun_bandana:

I'm not really sure what to expect from this upcoming lake effect. I have been hearing that the heaviest snows will setup to the south of Syracuse. Also at the same time from what I've seen/heard, we have a good chance to pickup at least a foot or so. Plus when you factor in the high winds, should be a fun next few days.

As of right now I am not too excited about the prospects of next weekend's storm being a major player for us. Its still a threat and worthy of watching but right now it looks like a possible miss for most of ENY and points westward.

It actually doesn't look too bad for Ottawa/Montreal as per the 6z run of the GFS. We would at least get some snow out of it. Also, remember the tendency of storms to trend west.

yes this has been an interesting feature that has been popping up on and off in the models the past couple days, the idea of backside snows...

most of the latest higher res models are now showing a pretty good chance for snow tomorrow in the morning in ottawa valley and slowly spreading east throguh the day, into the montreal area by later evening.

depending on the amount of moisture around, could be a very treacherous day, with falling temps and winds and snow.

this snow could continue on and off throughout the region, in the form of heavier flurries and squalls through tuesday. tough to say accums, but i think their will be some in total.

then we enter THE BLOCK again (cue the music).

Well, it looks like that 2" won't materialize. You may not be having a rilliant start to the snow season either OL, but you're getting more than us. Ottawa seems to be in a snow hole this year, relative to whyat we're used to. This is reminding me of January-February 2007, when Montreal did much better than Ottawa.

I'm somewhat optimistic that we may see something from the weekend system, if it could only shift a little more west. As it stands now, everyone from DC up to Ottawa and montreal would see accumulating snows

It actually doesn't look too bad for Ottawa/Montreal as per the 6z run of the GFS. We would at least get some snow out of it. Also, remember the tendency of storms to trend west.

OB

you have to consider the pattern before making such an assertion....

we are entering a possibly severe -AO regime and i can certainly see why Andy would not think this storm impacts us at all.

on the other hand, the NAO regime may migrate further west, which could theoretically allow for phasing in the OV or at least for a further west track

overall though, the setup does favor areas along the coast, see last year.

Well, it looks like that 2" won't materialize. You may not be having a rilliant start to the snow season either OL, but you're getting more than us. Ottawa seems to be in a snow hole this year, relative to whyat we're used to. This is reminding me of January-February 2007, when Montreal did much better than Ottawa.

I'm somewhat optimistic that we may see something from the weekend system, if it could only shift a little more west. As it stands now, everyone from DC up to Ottawa and montreal would see accumulating snows

my parents reported 1cm overnight, enough to cover everything up in barrhaven...

i dont know why environment canada called for 2 inches last night, i have no clue what they were looking at seeing as ottawa was dryslotted.

over the next 24-36 hours, a few more cm could fall. best chance for snow will be this evening/tonight in ottawa but as is usually the case with these backside snows, its hit or miss.

my parents reported 1cm overnight, enough to cover everything up in barrhaven...

i dont know why environment canada called for 2 inches last night, i have no clue what they were looking at seeing as ottawa was dryslotted.

over the next 24-36 hours, a few more cm could fall. best chance for snow will be this evening/tonight in ottawa but as is usually the case with these backside snows, its hit or miss.

The temperature has actually gone up by a degree celcius at my palce in the past hour (to -5.1 celcius currently) making it the warmest part of the city. I usually match what the kanata lakes weather station on wunderground is reporting. The airport is apparently down to -9C while Toronto Pearson is down to -14C!

You know, what I've noticed in 2010 is that the further north you go, the warmer you will be with respect to averages. Last week, both Toronto and Ottawa had similar overnight lows for example. Clearly this has something to do with the high latitude blocking.

It's interesting that people in the UK, Europe and SE/mid atlantic US have been commenting on how the winters are turning colder, but the fact is that the places that are supposed to be cold (i.e. the high arctic, SE Canada) have been ambormally warm in 2010. I am not a believer in AGW as it is presented by Al Gore and david Suzuki, but I can understand how many in the Canadian public might be buying into it given this year's weather pattern. They have always said that the warming will be most pronounced in the higher latitudes, and low and behold, that is what we've been getting, thanks to the -AO blocking. So, while people in Europe and the southern US migh tbe thinking, "what warming?" those up here who aren't aware of things like -AO blocking might be thinking, "gee, Suzuki has a point". It's all relative to what you're experiencing and what you're used to.

Bastardi of accuweather keeps saying this winter will "fade away". We up here can only hope that he means that the -AO will dissapear and we can get a normal pattern shaping up again.

Anyways, sorry for the off topic...

Its an odd setup for tonight & Tuesday..some wraparound from the low up over QUE but a lot of vorticity and instability associated coming up from the south associated with the slowly progressive upper air trough and cut-off.

The temperature has actually gone up by a degree celcius at my palce in the past hour (to -5.1 celcius currently) making it the warmest part of the city. I usually match what the kanata lakes weather station on wunderground is reporting. The airport is apparently down to -9C while Toronto Pearson is down to -14C!

You know, what I've noticed in 2010 is that the further north you go, the warmer you will be with respect to averages. Last week, both Toronto and Ottawa had similar overnight lows for example. Clearly this has something to do with the high latitude blocking.

It's interesting that people in the UK, Europe and SE/mid atlantic US have been commenting on how the winters are turning colder, but the fact is that the places that are supposed to be cold (i.e. the high arctic, SE Canada) have been ambormally warm in 2010. I am not a believer in AGW as it is presented by Al Gore and david Suzuki, but I can understand how many in the Canadian public might be buying into it given this year's weather pattern. They have always said that the warming will be most pronounced in the higher latitudes, and low and behold, that is what we've been getting, thanks to the -AO blocking. So, while people in Europe and the southern US migh tbe thinking, "what warming?" those up here who aren't aware of things like -AO blocking might be thinking, "gee, Suzuki has a point". It's all relative to what you're experiencing and what you're used to.

Bastardi of accuweather keeps saying this winter will "fade away". We up here can only hope that he means that the -AO will dissapear and we can get a normal pattern shaping up again.

Anyways, sorry for the off topic...

The Greenland block is the problem. The 8-10 day anamalies show record warmth in Canada and record cold in the eastern US

Its an odd setup for tonight & Tuesday..some wraparound from the low up over QUE but a lot of vorticity and instability associated coming up from the south associated with the slowly progressive upper air trough and cut-off.

yeah, let see how much snow we can squeeze out of this thing.....i think best accums will be between ottawa and montreal, probably down closer to the VT area. im sure upslope may play a role here too, i dont know anything about that though.

the front blew through here a couple hours ago with a nice burst of snow and the windshift, some SN- ongoing, thigns should pickup later this evening.

Archived