• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Upstate NY / North Country Winter 2010 Thread 1

I don't even think the problem is as much the block...as it is that the southern stream (from whence this s/w was to be born) is just looking moribund on most of the models. You can't have a storm if you don't have a short wave. LOL The northern stream backs and the blocking 50/50 type low scoots out. The table is set, but there is no food.....

The NE section is a sad and frustrating place now....at least this LES stuff saves me from brown ground and teens.

Good point re: Southern stream...I suppose not unusual for La Nina winters. For savage amusement....take a look at the 00Z GooFuS 384 hr panel. Get the sandbags out! LOL LOL.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the other hand apparently the 0Z Euro has suddenly shifted and now nails NE. ;)

LES is petering out here now as the bands seem to be realigning. Maybe things will heat up again later. Big event for us .... 2.5" since yesterday. :)

Good point re: Southern stream...I suppose not unusual for La Nina winters. For savage amusement....take a look at the 00Z GooFuS 384 hr panel. Get the sandbags out! LOL LOL.

Picked up about 1 inch last night, about 12 inches for the season... AWESOME!

Please stop double posting in seperate threads. Keep all LES related discussion/totals in the LES thread. Thanks.

--------------------

On another note...the 0Z Euro is looking pretty nice. Not a huge hit for ENY, but it's something. Awaiting the 12Z run to see if there is any consistancy.

I am now totally wondering what is going on.This is from the ALB NWS:

THE MODELS NOT TRENDING TOWARD A CLEAR SOLUTION FOR THE STORM THAT`S

EXPECTED TO DEVELOP OFF THE SOUTHEAST COAST SATURDAY NIGHT THEN HEAD

NORTHWARD. THE 00Z ECMWF HAS TRENDED MUCH FARTHER WEST AND CLOSER TO

THE COAST BY ABOUT 250 MILES FROM THE 12Z RUN. THIS SOLUTION IS SEEN

AS AN OUTLIER AT THIS TIME. THIS IS CONCERNING SINCE THE ECMWF

USUALLY HANDLES THE THIS TIME RANGE AND HIGHLY AMPLIFIED PATTERN

BETTER. THE GFS...GFSENSEMBES AND ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN KEEP THE STORM

FARTHER TO THE EAST AND OFFSHORE. THIS SOLUTION HAS BEEN FAVORED.

Is it possible, -I know very slim if at all chance the one model that usually does the best----according to them---- is right? I can see why they are calling it wrong with a 250 mile shift,but isn't the GFS usually the fantasy storm model?

It looks like there is some head scratching going on,and I am not the only one thankfully.Thanks for all the help with the dumb questions..

Um. This is the Upstate discussion. Right?

This is the Upstate Sub-Forum. There is a separate thread for lake effect discussion. (and this is a nice feature of having our own sub-forum). Those that do not live in lake effect bands are not particularly interested in lake effect matters.

The issue is, when we have a 34-page winter thread, there is obviously a LOT of discussion going on. There is no need to mix general winter observation and synoptic threat discussion with lake effect posts. It's distracting and detracts from the ability of people to quickly come in and see whats going on and then contribute.

The harder it is for people to contribute, the less interesting the discussion is.

Perhaps we can re-name the next thread "Winter 2010 Synoptic Discussion" to more clearly separate the threads.

Um. This is the Upstate discussion. Right?

Yes...general Upstate weather is posted in this thread. We have seperate threads made for individual events. Andy's post was pointed out because he is posted the exact same comments in multiple threads. That is unnecessary and makes threads harder to follow. The childish "whatever" responses are uncalled for as well.

Yes...general Upstate weather is posted in this thread. We have seperate threads made for individual events. Andy's post was pointed out because he is posted the exact same comments in multiple threads. That is unnecessary and makes threads harder to follow. The childish "whatever" responses are uncalled for as well.

Well maybe this thread needs to be closed then. If I get lake effect I'll post in the other one then.

there is going to end up being 100 different discussions for EACH event in EACH area then I assume.

I'm not trying to be a d***. I enjoy this place being a weather geek and have learned a lot between here and the old place.

Thanks.

With the latest models now throwing a few inches of backside snow into ENY ... it may be called for to start a new thread for this Noreaster. I guess we'll wait and see if the west trend continues and puts us into a significant accumulation situation.

It's about time for the Sage of GFL to weigh in on this :) ... Andy G. has been infrequent here lately....

As far as LES posts...yeah they should be in that dedicated thread, but a little crossover will happen from time to time...its a matter of degree. Posting the same thing in both threads is pointless.

Well maybe this thread needs to be closed then. If I get lake effect I'll post in the other one then.

there is going to end up being 100 different discussions for EACH event in EACH area then I assume.

I'm not trying to be a d***. I enjoy this place being a weather geek and have learned a lot between here and the old place.

Thanks.

With the latest models now throwing a few inches of backside snow into ENY ... it may be called for to start a new thread for this Noreaster. I guess we'll wait and see if the west trend continues and puts us into a significant accumulation situation.

It's about time for the Sage of GFL to weigh in on this :) ... Andy G. has been infrequent here lately....

As far as LES posts...yeah they should be in that dedicated thread, but a little crossover will happen from time to time...its a matter of degree. Posting the same thing in both threads is pointless.

I read a post by Andy around the weekend and he said he was really busy.I have been following the NWS discussion really close,and they are still not real optimistic,but are really unsure of anything, wrt the weekend. I am gonna go prep the plow and pray this will bring the storm in.I have had 4-5 different phone calls just from the little amount we got from people who either broke something or want some preventantive work done before the next snow.I cannot believe how much money people people have invested in equipment for snow and ice equipment around here and how little it has been used.A different guy just called me and asked if I knew anyone wanted to buy his sander,he spent $6800. on it 3 years ago and it is like brand new.He just sold it for $2200.I just hope when Andy does read the models he comes on here with a :lmao: !!!!!! I cannot believe how much difference there is in the cooling with just a little snow on the ground.It has warmed up a bit from the previous few days.

Maybe it will come a little further west so we all get in on the action without introducing ptype issues.

Thats what I'm hoping for lol it would be nice for everyone to stay snow but obviously if this comes any further west there would be problems for parts of new england. It looks like theres room for it to come a little further west so I wouldn't be too suprised if it by 12z tomorrow. Then again it could go east if its initializing that southern stream energy incorrectly :lol:. Anyways it's nice to have the EURO on the western side of model guidance.

Archived