• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
An appeal to newbies-

OK- here s the deal. Without context from ensembles and teleconnections these are worthless and a waste of bandwidth. In most cases. especially in this weather pattern, any single Operational model run beyond 144 hours, much less 240 is almost certainly going to be wrong, probably spectacularly so.

Thanks for your attention

Sorry, I'm new here. I did not know that I was not suppose to post GFS images past the 240hr. When I first joined here, an admin should had told me that. Anyway, I know now. Thanks!

Hey I'm new too so don't sweat it.

The problem with 10 day models is that they are just too far out. Too many variables make them almost useless.

I much prefer a super thread, but if that is out then how about a dedicated model thread. Digging thru 35 topics (and growing) with dedicated threads for every snow flurry that shows up on the 18z is crazy. If the mods demand short threads then how about Dec. 2010..week one models, week 2 models, etc...then branch off from there if it looks better for N.C., or W. Tenn, and cross post between relevant topics. Those who complain about super threads will have a blast when Jan. gets here and there is an actual climatological good chance for something major, and they have to dig through 439 topics and 90 of them variations on the same theme..i.e.... N.C. threat at 4:14pm on Wed...Ga. threat at 11.24am on Wed. ...Ala. threat at 7:34am on Wed, 18z for Joe's house, 18z for Foothills place. Hell, at this rate, you could have a dedicated thread for snow at Joe's Mtn. Paradise and be justified...he gets all the snow, and generally leaves me none :) Just my two cents. T

I much prefer a super thread, but if that is out then how about a dedicated model thread. Digging thru 35 topics (and growing) with dedicated threads for every snow flurry that shows up on the 18z is crazy. If the mods demand short threads then how about Dec. 2010..week one models, week 2 models, etc...then branch off from there if it looks better for N.C., or W. Tenn, and cross post between relevant topics. Those who complain about super threads will have a blast when Jan. gets here and there is an actual climatological good chance for something major, and they have to dig through 439 topics and 90 of them variations on the same theme..i.e.... N.C. threat at 4:14pm on Wed...Ga. threat at 11.24am on Wed. ...Ala. threat at 7:34am on Wed, 18z for Joe's house, 18z for Foothills place. Hell, at this rate, you could have a dedicated thread for snow at Joe's Mtn. Paradise and be justified...he gets all the snow, and generally leaves me none :) Just my two cents. T

I agree. A model thread would be a good idea. Then, you enter at your own risk. However, bandwidth costs money. I'd be interested to see if server limitations or money might be the cause of Cheeznado's comment. On the other hand, chasing rabbits can be tough to moderate.

i moved this from the SE forum to here, it's worth noting plus there is some good convo after the initial post

we're still getting ourselves re-situated on this forum and tho most things look the same as the old place we're trying to figure out how to correct any mistakes so input is always valuable.

OK- here s the deal. Without context from ensembles and teleconnections these are worthless and a waste of bandwidth. In most cases. especially in this weather pattern, any single Operational model run beyond 144 hours, much less 240 is almost certainly going to be wrong, probably spectacularly so.

Thanks for your attention

How about making a single thread for model discussion beyond hour 192, and have a rule that all images must be placed on Imageshack or a similar provider then hotlinked from there (as opposed to attached)?

I agree. A model thread would be a good idea. Then, you enter at your own risk. However, bandwidth costs money. I'd be interested to see if server limitations or money might be the cause of Cheeznado's comment. On the other hand, chasing rabbits can be tough to moderate.

If you want to save bandwidth how about getting rid of picture sigs :whistle: .

BTW, it took some real effort to find this place, so any continuing effort to make it easier to find might help others who were lost - I spent most of my time in the regional subforums on eastern so I had absolutely no idea anything was in the works.

And kudos to the admins for doing this - it's a wonderful community, many thanks for keeping it going. I'd find a new hobby before I'd go to your, um, competitors forums!

Archived